The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000GT brakes installed.

RedTwo

Aren't they all the same? About 300 dia. Just look through a DBA catalogue and find ones that match your dimensions.

BrandonEchols

Quoting ETalon:
Of course,I try to show what I mean on photo that exist here,but if it needed I'll take a pic of my own trailing arms laying side by side.

I'm talking about lenght of that part of trailing arm which I marked by blue line.In stock trailing arm it's shorter by ~4 inch

Have you tried to fit it and run into issues?
By my measurements (bolt center of the lower rear shock attachment point to the center weld seam on the arm) it's about ~ 2" of difference, in this case, 2" of drop, maybe less, since my measures were kinda sloppy.

So.. since they are 2 inches longer, and evo 10 rear shocks are also 2 inches longer... Seeing where I'm heading?

But er.. don't the evo 10 rear shocks have a smaller mounting hole than even the GVR4 (which seems bizarre)... ?

RedTwo

Evo suspension has a different mounting set up, which is normally chopped off to fit a VR4. It could be an option to attach the lower mount from a GTO

BrandonEchols

Quoting RedTwo:
Evo suspension has a different mounting set up, which is normally chopped off to fit a VR4. It could be an option to attach the lower mount from a GTO

That's what I should have done - and would have if I'd known the difference in size before having my Bilstein rears welded up.

It would've been MUCH easier to have 3000GT/GTO rear mounting points welded in place rather than all the grinding I ended up having to do. I'm still not done with this setup yet... getting close though.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Brandon,

I just had GTO front hubs fitted on my daily. Long story short, the test centres won't pass vehicles using brake caliper adapter brackets anymore, so I had to use the entire hub/knuckle from the GTO so that the larger GTO front calipers could be bolted up using the OEM mounting points.

I'm currently running EVO VIII 5-lug wheels at the front with some 17 inch 4-lug mismatched wheels at the rear whilst I have the special bushings for the rear 26mm sway bar fabricated onto the new rear end (this includes the rear GTO hubs, two pot rear calipers and handbrake assembly).

I will try to get some pictures of everything before it goes back on the car for you to look at.

BrandonEchols

That would be awesome.

I'll be doing a how-to in the info section with my experiences and advise for people going this route in the future, once I get it all together.

Mine is complex because all kinds of pieces are getting done at the same time... GTO trailing arms with handbrake assembly, larger master cylinder, ABS delete, a full set of Evo IX brembos (calipers and rotors both), Evo IX Bilstein suspension at all four corners, DSM 5-lug front knuckles, Evo VIII wheels - I figured it'd make better sense to take it all apart as few times as possible and just get it done in one shot.

The most annoying part thus far has been the grinding down of that rear suspension post because of the GTO/3000GT using a larger diameter rear attachment - If only I'd known this. I was told by many people it was a direct swap, so I went ahead and had the GVR4 rear bits welded on to the suspension. Naturally I would've waited and found a pair of the correct rear shocks for the attachment point if I had known.

Still waiting to get the Brembos back from powder coating. I sent them off in JULY, ridiculous. But they are on the way now, and I expect FEDEX to deliver them this week. Then I have to find the crossover tube for one of the fronts, since it was damaged and Brembo's "policy" is to not sell parts for OE applications to end users - you have to go through the dealer. Funny part is the dealer doesn't list that as a part you can buy, you only get it as part of an entire caliper - I wish these Evo units had the internal crossover tube like the STI versions. Anyway, I think I found a StopTech piece that should work, need to get it in to verify though.

It'll be interesting.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Sounds like you are going to have a very similar setup to me at the end. I have revalved EVO MR Bilsteins with Robbispec springs to go on mine eventually and I presume the same 6 spoke EVO rims.

One thing you will want to check Brandon is the effect the GTO rear hubs will have at the back with those +35 offset EVO rims. You are going to have about 12mm of extra track each side at the back due to the larger hubs with the drum brake e-brake assembly. So the EVO rims which would have filled out the arches nicely will very likely stick out. Since the stock rims have so much material at the hub centre, Ken had my wheels machined down about 3mm at the back but we have yet to test fit and see if it is enough.

Because I used the entire GTO knuckle at the front I have the same issue there as well. Not knowing what clearance we would have with the brakes we didn't turn down the front rims. I'll probably do a test fit when I take the car back and see if the machined rim will still allow the spokes to clear the caliper. If it will, I think I'll get the fronts done as well to bring them in just a tad and then add some camber!

Sounds like a nice little project though, I'm looking forward to seeing how your car comes out. I'm getting close to what I want to do with the daily. I have some EVO seats to go in, I'm having a sound system put in at the weekend but after that it's just a couple of cosmetic pieces (blacked out fogs, AMG grille and a rear window visor) and a couple more mild performance upgrades (either the EVO III 16G or the FP 18G turbo with an FP manifold, 264/272 cams and maybe the EVO VIII ECU which I'll probably just run on a stock tune depending on which turbo goes in first) I think that will be a nice little setup for the daily with the other currents mods and should be plenty for this car.

Yes, I believe the EVO X shock has an even smaller mounting hole than the galant.. anyway, regardless of mount setup, is the extra length of the evo X shock compensated for by the difference in mount point on the trailing arm?

The evo IX shocks are around okay for a VR4 normally, right? Most people weld a spacer between the shock tube and mounting bush anyway so it seems like if one was to do a 3000gt swap you would need longer shocks?

I noticed someone posted the extra length of the 3000gt shocks, and it wasn't that much difference.. so I'm assuming that the top suspension mount in the 3kgt is lower down relative to the trailing arm.. or is the shock long enough to compensate for the lower mounting point?

(I reckon you can still buy new bilsteins for 3000gt, which would mean a bilstein setup could involve 3000gt rears and evo fronts, no welding on the rear struts at all)

Whoodoo

Cheeky, was the front hub a direct replacement? Did you have to mess with the front axles? I'd like to see pictures because I am getting 62 back on the road, and with a pair of 3kgt VR4 trailing arms ready and waiting, this is the perfect time to upgrade the brakes.

bobdole

Old thread bump for information: I am looking for brackets to fit the 3GTVR4 calipers on the GVR4. Anyone know where to get?

Paddy1337

Jeez, thanks for bumping this. I'm pretty sure a full 3KGT rear end swap is in my near future. All i need to do is keep the 4-lug pattern, and make sure the 3KGT caliper fit underneath 15" wheels.

I'll be running custom made coilovers for maximum travel, and the added 2" from this swap is perfect for that. Then there's the larger ball joints all over, and slightly wider track. Bigger calipers (if they fit 15's) and this is a rally car's wet dream in bolt-on modification.

Paddy1337

sorry, I've got some newb questions on this.

are you guys swapping everything from the GTO? Everything including: subframe, rear diff, axles, etc? or just the outward stuff like trailing arms, control arms, and hubs? I'm ready to source some parts when I can figure this out.

TIA

EHmotorsports

You should read this thread at page one. It tells you what you need.

Paddy1337

yeah, I read through... twice. People use terms like "the rear end", and I'm left wondering if they are inferring more than the specific parts mentioned- like the trailing arms and control arms.

I'm assuming the rear diff and axles are not being swapped, because I haven't read of that as a swap on its own. And it'd probably be common if it worked, since they're a lot stronger.

bobdole

Quoting EHmotorsports:
RTM click

Thanks. I saw those, but I don't want to run the Cobra rotors. I want to run the 3GTVR4 rotors. Looks like those brackets won't work then.

VR4Scott

Do you use the ebrake cables from the gvr4 or from the 3000gt?
Is there a difference between 1g and 2g 3000gt trailing arms?

Cables on the 3000gt arms seem to be about a foot too short. I laid the cables side by side and they are almost identical in length.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts