The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 bolt lsd

Tommyd

Has anyone had any luck with 3 bolt lsd/axle combos? Any big differences between the 3/4 with strength?

prove_it

Your new at this huh?

Very new?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting HoosierGvr4:
Has anyone had any luck with 3 bolt lsd/axle combos? Any big differences between the 3/4 with strength?

Not personal experience, although I have a 3 bolt LSD in my DD, but others have commented in the past that only a 4 bolt can stand up to the loads of drag racing. But for other activities such as autocross or road racing, a 3 bolt may be sufficient.

Tommyd

Fairly new still to dsms, yes. I know 3 bolt rear ends suck,Im not sure whether the 3 bolt LSD and axles are any better than the open 3 bolt.

I asked this question on tuners and was told that a 3 bolt LSD is 75% as strong as a 4 bolt...dunno if that is true or not.

I run my 3 bolt LSD with redline heavyweight shockproof (technically that has nothing to do with the LSD though). I think my rearend was in better shape without the shockproof though. Now it is noisy as heck. Maybe it had thicker fluid in there at one time from previous owner to compensate for a worn rear....who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

raptorWagon

Quoting HoosierGvr4:
Fairly new still to GVR4s , yes. I know 3 bolt rear ends suck,Im not sure whether the 3 bolt LSD and axles are any better than the open 3 bolt.

fixed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tommyd

Ha, thanks. A few years back when I had my saabaru(Saab 92x for you non subie people) I was messing around with this old awd early 90's box, which I fell in love with. After finally owning one I've come to 2 realizations. I don't know much about gvr4 drivetrain specifics, and this is probably the first of many gvr4's I'll own. I haven't been able to locate a 4 bolt rear with axles AND cups at all, but could easily get a 3 bolt LSD. Just trying to figure out what to do

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Planned use of the vehicle?

Tommyd

Well, currently sitting in the garage is a built 6 bolt with a gt3071 turbo 1600cc injectors ect ect.. waiting to be dropped in. Its mostly going to be an after work/week cruising vehicle with occasional track time once or twice a month. I've been known to be fairly abusive on my vehicles so Im hesitant to run the 3 bolt set up, but I've also seen a decent amount of people get away with using them so Im trying get a consensus of how good they actually are.

donniekak

I've cut lots of 1.8 60 fts with an LSD 3 bolt. I've never run lower than a 1.7 though as the passenger axle would always break.

5OF2k

Quoting HoosierGvr4:
Well, currently sitting in the garage is a built 6 bolt with a gt3071 turbo 1600cc injectors ect ect.. waiting to be dropped in. Its mostly going to be an after work/week cruising vehicle with occasional track time once or twice a month. I've been known to be fairly abusive on my vehicles so Im hesitant to run the 3 bolt set up, but I've also seen a decent amount of people get away with using them so Im trying get a consensus of how good they actually are.

3bolt rears are halfway decent, and you can get away with a fair amount of abuse on them but it's always a gamble. I've had the OEM non-lsd 3bolt in my car for over a year and lord-knows-how-many launches without issue, BUT, it is an open diff so I really dont have to worry about snapping an axle(since the wheel with the least amount of traction is ALWAYS going to spin.....and spin it does).

On a moderately modified car, under 300hp you should be fine with a 3bolt LSD, for a while. Pass that marker though, and every launch is a gamble on the life of your axles. The actual rear end isnt the weak link, it's the axles.

Honestly, based on your plans of a built motor and bigger turbo, I'd stay away from the 3bolt. Just be patient, and get a 4bolt.

-Jake

gvr4ever

Are the spine counts and gear ratio's the same (so long as the donor is a manual)? Is the 3 bolt a direct bolt on? Aside from the AWS that is.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, same ratios if manual--> manual. Yes, bolt in if 4ws steer is gone, or else you have to swap cases.

raptorWagon

Yes, replaced the stock 3 bolt in 1350 for a 3 bolt LSD (AWS already removed), as iceman said, if you want to keep AWS you will have to swap pumpkins before hand.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned