The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

22 spline vs. 23 spline

i have a 90 ggsx and my trans lost second gear, would a 1990 talon tsi trans and transfer case replace mine? its supposedly a 22 spline set up. would i have to change the rear end too? i have a 92 eclipse gsx rear, would that work?

belize1334

The GGSX transmission and x-fer case are NOT compatible with the 1G rear differential. If you put a 1G transmission and x-fer case in you will need a 1G rear diff. All 1G rear differentials use the same ratio provided that they all came from a turbo 5-speed (the automatic is different). As for what year transmission to use, it won't matter as long as the transmission and x-fer case come from the same era (i.e. both 22-spline or both 23-spline).

So, in short, you CAN swap a 90 DSM transmission AND x-fer case (but it'll have to be BOTH, not just one or the other) and you will need a 1G rear diff too (92 GSX is fine). You should, however, be careful with the shifter assembly bracket on the transmission as they're not all the same. I believe that '90 and earlier are different than '91 and later so do some research on that.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts