The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

20th Annual 2012 DSM/EVO Shootout Aug 17-19 Norwalk, Ohio

GSX_TC

Hmmm I wonder what kept braking your caliper bracket. And it was the same one breaking?

GreenGSX

The bracket broke because they were just prototypes made from aluminum and I didn't leave enough material where it needed to be. The spare bracket was the same design so it broke in the same way. The next set will be made of steel. I tested the prototype at Watkins Glen and they were fine but autocrossing puts a higher momentary load on the brakes then road racing does. I'll be sure to autocross the next set.

GSX_TC

Well that certainly explains it, please tell me your attending next years shootout? I really wanted to see this car in person and meet you and photograph it and also take exclusive pics with my car side by side with the one lap VR4.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well Mike, get your car done and come to Factory MOD. Shorter drive than Ohio.

GSX_TC

where is factory MOD normally held, Illinois right?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Normal, Illinois. At the factory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lunchbox

We were there in my friend Cody's 92 KG VR4 (the dirty, stock looking one). Just got done doing a complete drivetrain refresh on it, 4 bolt, no more ABS, reran all the lines under the car in stainless, no more rear steer, so its ready to go underneath, now needs the exterior sorted out. Still fun to roll down there in a VR4, glad so many could make it. We got the A/C fixed about 3 days before the shootout and decided to take it, glad we did.

LIV4PSI

We saw that Grey VR4, although I walked the parking lots hunting for them. I noticed it looked stock, but had a 4 bolt, KYBs, and all SS lines. It looked like you guys were off to a good start.

matt92vr4

Yeah def good guys. John and I were roommates from 2001 to 2006...back when his car was slower than mine (for awhile). That will never happen again! Your car looks great. Good luck with the new bracket!

GSX_TC

Geez that's 17 hours away for me lol, where do I go to register for that mod? And is there a farthest traveled distance award like the TX mod?

GSX_TC

YES!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OldHairyBastard

I still love the wheels on the car. I'm still rocking the 195's on Volk racing rims.

Quoting GreenGSX:
Rocking my ThreeSpeed t-shirt!

lunchbox

Quoting LIV4PSI:
We saw that Grey VR4, although I walked the parking lots hunting for them. I noticed it looked stock, but had a 4 bolt, KYBs, and all SS lines. It looked like you guys were off to a good start.

He has a FMIC and 650s for it and some sweet old school Racing Hart wheels at home, but he was having a hard time getting his ECMLink to communicate so just put it back to stock injectors and ECU to drive out there. Needs a driveshaft rebuild something fierce, it clunks pretty bad but we made it all the way there and back! He is the 2nd owner, bought it in 2001 or so and has had it in storage for 5 years or so since the rear steer lines and rear brake lines rusted out. Last time it was at the Shootout we had the 13" Daytons on it. 104k miles, probably one of the lowest mileage cars out there right now. Finally got bit by the modding bug and throwing some cash and some hours into it.

thecman02

Well I DNF'ed in max effort. I think i was like fourth or fifth coming out of the autocross down about 2 seconds. I was fighting a alignment that was completely awful. I still was in pretty good shape considering 3 of the guys ahead of me were at least a couple seconds slower in the quarter mile. The first run on the drag strip I smoked the four bolts that hold the axle to the stub. I found some replacement bolts and was too slow to make the second scheduled pass. I went for a shake down run time trial and noticed in second gear my wideband was showing my car leaning out bad. I backed out of it and coasted that run. I worked in the back corner of the parking lot scrambling to find my fueling issue and found I had a torn fpr boot. It was too late to repair it so I skipped out on the last pass.

It was cool seeing the OLOA VR4 and talking to numerous guys who I can't even remember who all I met. The weekend was real busy as Sunday I was making sure my friend was all set up for DSE. He ended up winning by taking out the reigning champ.

I'm just glad the car for the most part made it out in one piece and I could drive it back home today. Hopefully next year we can wrangle all the vr4's together. The parking sucked ass and I didn't have anyone's phone numbers or knew anyone so it was tough to try and organize.

Here's a couple pics from FIC.

GSX_TC

Don't worry, next year I'll take care of all the getting the VR4's together.

LUNARFX

It was good to meet most of you and very nice to have chatted all weekend. Loved seeing the One Lap car in person and shake hands with Tim. Man, that brake caliper bracket was obliterated.

Lofty was definitely a trip watching him do the traditional foot races at the Econo Lodge huffing that parachute on his shoulder.

matt92vr4, I didn't know John Wigger was mutual friends with my friend Chris Keagy, so I got introduced to and hung out with them for a few while watching some autocrossing action. You should have rolled out. There were 19 of us that drove up from Jacksonville and made the trek again.

LIV4PSI, I think I met you at the Best Western about the time they were rebuilding that transmission for that Colt that ran 10's the next day. As soon as all my pictures upload, I'll post some here.

turbowop, man we were all in denial that it was Jeff's car that caught on fire, because they had ran another set of cars after his pass. When the officials started scrambling to get to the end, we couldn't get to his trailer fast enough to see if he was alright. After finding out he was o.k. and just wanted some peace in the RV, we pushed the car in the trailer just to get it out of sight, out of mind for a bit. Apparently, after a good night and some really good news, he said it should be running again sooner than expected. Just not in Denver next week like he was planning.

I see CFT's GVR-4 run 9's all the time down here, but was hoping to see it wake some people up at the Shootout. I know they were shooting for 9.2's before it busted and wish they could have continued to run.

Last edited:

Leon_R

I also got to meet Tim and checkout his his cool One Lap car.

This my Summit from the same angle.

It is leaning less than I thought it was!

I had a super busy weekend, raced Max Effort on Saturday (took 3rd place trophy with a minivan!!!), then tried qualifying for Q16 (the only heads up class I could run), then Bracket 1, and finished the day in the run only class. Totall of 10-11 passes + 6 AutoX runs!

I did end up bending some intake valves when I shifted 3-2 on my last pass. First time I did that... Fortunately, I towed the Summit to OH, as last minute dicission.

Overall, that was a great weekend!!!

Last edited:

GSX_TC

f*** I can't believe I missed this, I really wanted to see that nice Summit as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts