The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

$200 Turbo

CSMShaun

Just bought this thing yesterday.

2011-01-05141529.jpg

2011-01-05141337.jpg

2011-01-05141551.jpg

Twin scroll(I think) MHI 25g. 4" compressor inlet, 2.5" compressor outlet, 3" turbine outlet.

CSMShaun

I don't know much about it either. It is most definitely a twin scroll turbine side. I plan on disassembling it and measuring the various points of interest.

Brianawd

Looks like a ebay china turbo. Good luck with that turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Brianawd:
Looks like a ebay china turbo. Good luck with that turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Yup exactly what I was thinking.

AnotherNewb

Wasn't Broxma running a cheap ebay turbo? Haven't had an update on it in a while. Maybe it blew up and he is too ashamed to update on it?

RedTwo

Maybe it put down so much power he went faster than warp 10, causing the car to be at every point of the universe at the same time and promptly erased all traces of it happening from history?

cheekychimp

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif WWHHHAAAATTTTTTTT?????????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

CSMShaun

It has markings identifying it as an MHI turbo: the numbers on the compressor housing is correct for a 25g as is the number on the turbine housing. There is also the Mitsubishi "star" symbol present on the turbine housing. The exducer and inducer measurements match those of the Greddy td07 25g turbo. The housing does not have the typical Greddy badging but does look very similar to the housing that came on the "Super 25g" sold by Hahn: click

The numbers and star symbol are certainly reproducable but I have not seen a Chinabay turbo that had Mitsubishi markings. All signs point to either a legit MHI 25g, Greddy 25g or Hahn Racecraft 25g.

CSMShaun

I may be prone to have that attitude if it were a stock engine that I had not torn into. However, I do not have a stock engine, I have an engine that has a bunch of expensive parts that I would rather not strap a Chinabay turbo to.

One guy makes the comment "Looks like an eBay turbo..." and suddenly the turbo becomes an imitation turbo without any other evidence. Awesome.

Muskrat

I'll admit, that's what I thought when I first saw it.

But really, who cares? If you know it isn't than use it.

JNR

Where did you buy it?

The compressor housing does look generic (it's possible somebody ground down any raised markings, although the ones that are on there are in a weird spot), but maybe the exhaust side is not...See if you can find any information with the numbers that are etched onto the comp. housing.

524of1000

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Wasn't Broxma running a cheap ebay turbo? Haven't had an update on it in a while. Maybe it blew up and he is too ashamed to update on it?

He's still running it, last I saw he was running 27psi thru it. Still going VERY strong. There haven't been any updates because we've been working on other vehicles. Thank you for your intrest and concern though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CSMShaun

I agree 100% that the comp housing looks odd. But it looks exactly like the comp housing on that Hahn piece. The numbers on it are 49187-00920 and they check out as a TD07S 25g.

It was purchased from a friend and I was only told that it was on a RB26 something in the Cincy area; possibly one of the Skylines we have around here or one of the swapped 240sxs. I have found that Greddy offered these as upgrades to DSM turbo kits and in MR2 turbo kits.

For one day I had a 57 trim eBay turbo on my first 4g63 swapped Colt. The turbo did just fine producing around 20lbs of boost, did not let any oil past the seal and had no shaft play when I removed it.

AnotherNewb

Quoting CSMShaun:

One guy makes the comment "Looks like an eBay turbo..." and suddenly the turbo becomes an imitation turbo without any other evidence. Awesome.

No, I saw a $200 dollar turbo and assumed ebay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But I suppose unbelievably great deals are out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

broxma

To the original point of my Ebay Turbo Experiment - How many people cursing the good Ebay Turbo name here, have actually bought and used one? I'm not talking about, "oh I got this Ebay S16g from some dude and it sploded a week later", I mean put the money down for fresh Ebay goodness and gave it all she had? None? Very few? Then let's keep the anecdotal evidence at bay until we have some first hand experience shall we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

While that turbo does look rather Ebay, honestly, sh*t if I know. I don't think I would recommend buying "Used" Ebay, especially considering you can get the GT35R shipped to your door for 288.55. But even so, why not? Whats the harm in dropping a few bucks to try something out, and if it breaks, who cares? It cost you the sum total of the purchases for the average Starbucks drinker in a single month.

And to set the record straight, Steve is dead correct. My Ebay 35R is absolutely flawless. I change the oil religiously with VR1 20w-50 and the thing has zero play, zero push and spools to 27psi by 4500 rpm every time I hit the pedal, regardless of if I want it to or not, but that's the wastegates fault, not the turbo. Oh, the wastegate? It's a Tial. Shoulda gone Ebay.

/brox

3rdstrikedsm

I have used them with success which was an e-3 16g which made good power and never had any quality issues and the na-t supra guys are making north of 500whp on them so they can work and honestly the quality is most likely better than precision's junk turbos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
However in a serious performance application there is no way I would rely on one but thats just my opinion.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts