The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1G to 2G MAF conversion help

3O3EL0VR4

Hey guys, finally got all the parts I needed for the conversion.
New filter - filter plate adapter - 3.75 silicon coupler - 1G to 2G harness
And of course the 2G MAF...
After I installed everything it ran really rough. It seemed like the wastegate was opening at the stock setting (6 I think) but the turbo felt like it was still spooling to the setting on the BC (14) and eventually the pull felt like it was wandering further towards the way it was with the 1G MAF or like there was a huge boost leak (which I did check after a few test runs) I have a stock 14b stock injectors and a stock EPROM ECU.
So, I was wondering is there something else that I need to do to run a 2G MAF on a stock 1G set up?
Does the EPROM ECU prevent me from using the MAF ( I thought that is what the harness adapter is for)?
I have looked around in the How To and technical sections. I haven't been able to come up with any positive results but I know this has probably been covered multiple times. Any help pointing me in the right direction, thread, or install guide would be great. Pls help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

transparentdsm

you need a chip for the eprom that compensates for the MAF change. i have also heard of people taking the silicone out of the back of the 2g maf and adjusting the plastic screw to set it up, but thats out of my realm.

dandanger

If you're planning on any other changes in future I suggest Ostrich 2.0 click or similar. If the 2g maf is the only change then a chip is ok.

JCorbo25

the 2G MAF flows more than the 1G MAF so you'll need to chip your ECU, do tuning (DSMLink), or run an AFC to compensate.

Many people have pared the 2G MAF with 550/560cc injectors. The increased fuel from the larger injectors 'helps' compensate for the increased air flow from the 2G MAF.

3O3EL0VR4

Awesome! I was looking at getting injectors and an AFC of some sort here shortly. Thanks for the quick responses guys. I figured it had to do with the A/F tuning somehow or another lol. Any suggestions you guys have for an AFC? My brother had a apexi SAFC2 on his if I remember correctly and it ran amazingly smooth. Is there anything a little newer that anyone can recommend?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts