The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g or 2g dsm FMIC kit on these cars?

dsm10o0

Has anyone used a 1g or 2g dsm front mount kit in their galant? Ive been looking for an fmic for my galant but cant find one for a decent price.

Considering on getting one of these
click
click

mitsuturbo

Hm. that 1g kit looks almost identical to the one i paid 450 for.
It's off at a welding shop right now, as i moved the center mounting tab, and had the outlet pipe put at a different angle.
Maybe the VRSF one doesn't have the same angle on the pipes and would fit perfectly. I dunno.

Should work well for me after that. I don't see the 2g kit working all that well, since it goes around the frame rather than through it. 1g is a shorter route setup.

Adorsey

Kits arnt really made GVR4 specific (unlike the ETS kit)... which may be what you want. *One is for sale in the parts thread.

Custom pipes and a known brand core are mostly the setups Ive seen myself.

All of which arnt really cheap.

So it depends,
What do you want out of the car?

dsm10o0

Im thinking of getting the 1g kit. Don't really know the goal for my car yet but ill run it with a 16g for a long while. Ive had the 2g kit on my previous 2g and i had to trim the passenger side radiator frame and goes around the frame on the driver side. Here is a link on how the 1g kit looks like. click If i run the piping's under the turbo, would it clear the radiator?

Last edited:

Brunoboy

civic radiator? it will make so much more room to work with.

Launch

I was going to use a spare Greddy fmic from a 2G i had with piping, but i ended up going a dirrerent route, different turbo.
I sell ya a nice 2G greddy with its piping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif win k wink haha

mitsuturbo

Quoting brunoboy:
civic radiator? it will make so much more room to work with.

Even the scirocco radiator allows for shortroute, as far as i know. Look at terry posten's panda bay. There definitely appears to be room for a 2.5" pipe on either side of that thing.

I'm thinking of ditching my honda radiator, and getting a DSM filler cap, so i can go the same route. It's just a bit of a cleaner install, and i feel the honda radiator works fine, but overhead is more limited as far as cooling capacity goes. I know the scirocco rad would help, and give me more space, since it can sit a bit further forward.

Last edited:

dsm10o0

Alright, Made up my mind and bought the 2g intercooler kit. I will do a log on the install.. I got the kit off of ebay for $240 shipped witch is cheaper than the once i posted in the first post.

my 2 cents.

I just finished ordering some parts for my 1g install. (how the pipes flow) turbo -> ETS J-pipe -> 90 bend -> 90 bend -> 45 bend (funky bends due to A/C lines) to BR 1g old style FMIC -> 1g cold pipes to the TB. The Radiator will also lose 4-6 rows and be re-braised.

I ran into some mild problems retaining the A/C system. The 2g kit you got shouldn't give you as much pain and suffering as i experienced. Good luck and nice choice, hope to see some pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:

dsm10o0

Got my 2g ic kit today. Waiting for a j pipe and a clear weather to put this on. Same kit i had on my previous 2g.

I will post a log and take pics of the install.

mitsuturbo

I'll be surprised if that fits without extensive modification (tig welding) to at least one of the endtanks.

bmxr152

damn cali weather this week. Ive been waiting all week to get work done on my car but its been raining constantly for 5 days now.

my car has the slowboy racing 1g frontmoutn kit on it. the endtanks were modified to accomidate a vr4. here is pics for reference.

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

Boost4U

I installed a 1g short route kit on my VR4. I drilled the radiator mounts out and slide the radiator about 1 1/2" to the passenger side and reattached the lower radiator mounts. After doing that, the intercooler fit right through with no modification to the radiator. I did not have ac so that will cause some issues with clearance.

dsm10o0

When I tried it I gave up and put it on my 2g, got a 1g short route off a local and it fits nicely

I know Im a bit late on this one, but I just put a front mount on my car today, and was wondering what you did with the metal parts of the front bumper. did you cut them any, or did you just remove that piece all together. and if so, what did you do to hold the bumper in place over the intercooler?

Brunoboy

For mine it was cut, basically all that was left was the two ends for mounting.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts