The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g fmic on VR4.

Perkul8r

I remember seeing a post the other day about this being done and i am seriously considering it. I just cant seem to find the post anymore. Does anyone have any pics of it done?

I will keep searching, spent about two hours on here tonight trying to find it again. lol

Thanks.

thedsmguy

I put a punishment racing in my gvr4. You need a smaller radiator to make it fit and tweek the ac lines a little but not to bad. Some grinding of light metal, cut your bumper support a bit (leave bumper alone and your in!

Good luck.

Diego

^ same roll would play in with the E8 core. AMS built my I/C set up. One of the few on a Vr4 that I know of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Perkul8r

I have a Talon rad sitting in my garage. I know i need the thermo housing, I wonder if that would be small enough to fir things through. And ac might go, if it needs major work. It was like 20 degrees when I picked the car up so i didn't test it yet. lol.

Diego

Should of asked about the thermostat housing. I have one I could of thrown in for 5 bucks more. Get at me ill get it around if you need it. But really you would want a Honda half core with a 175* thermostat to compensate the cooling needs.

Perkul8r

Well, I can either do a 1g fmic or a buddy has an Evo 9 fmic that he would sell me cheap. I was just trying to see which one would be a little easier. I see alot more people using the Evo fmic's than 1g ones.

thedsmguy

The thing is how do you want your pipes to run. If you dont mind going around on the passenger side then your options go up and are there are a lot that will work, if you want to go the shortest possible routing you have to go on the sides of your ac condenser.

Good luck!

OMFGeofffff

Short route pipes *should* fit around the sides of the stock radiator. It just needs to be moved over an inch or two. Obviously the mounts aren't going to line up anymore so some fab work will need to be done. I ran mine like that for a little bit but just decided to switch to a civic radiator.

Here is my recent hack-to-gether FMIC, DSM setup. Functional A/C system, Old school BR street core, ETS J pipe, DSM specific cold pipes, few misc custom piping (90º's and pipe addons used as spacers) to make it fit around the A/C system, bunch of 4ply couplers and mass amount of t-bolts.

I wanted to retain my OEM copper dual core radiator because of our California heat and the A/C system. I have read the honda / smaller radiators cannot keep up under this kind of load. So, I had my radiator chopped (an idea from another board member). So if you count your rows from the passenger side, I had 6 removed, 12 total (dual core).

Modifications:
Remove radiator rows, Cost: 40$, 1 day turn around.
Removed power steering cooling loop.
Bent the living crap out of the AC lines, pushed with a crow bar to the passenger side (still works).
Pulled the wiring harness up and pushed it over the IC pipe.
Used a sawzall and cut the frame to make room for the IC pipes. Structural integrity still intact...
The lower part of the hood latch had to be modified also so the intercooler could tuck in more.

I mocked this up to be used on a JDM bumper. This should work on a USDM but get ready to start some major cutting. This setup does not require any JDM bumper bar cutting.

It's not the cleanest but it is completely function and stable. It passed all boost pressure tests. I still need to add a few brackets and some protective bushings in some areas to protect some lines.

let the pictures do the talking now:

Still need to add some brackets for the lower fmic.

few links:
My build thread with very little detail
My post asking about this...

Perkul8r

Thanks for that info. Thats about what i was looking for. Seems like i should be able to run my short route piping i already have. Thanks for the info guys. I do believe I know what i am gonna do now.

Thanks.

bustedsm

That buschur core looks a little familiar, considering I have the same exact one on 808 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thedsmguy

Another pic fwiw.

img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned