The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g dsm Spearco 1-992 fmic on a gvr4? Anyone done this?

cupajoe

I pulled this fmic kit off my parts 1g dsm and trying to figure out if it would be worth modifying this fmic a little to get it to fit on my gvr4? Or just sell it? I cannot find any type of spec's for it like hp rating or anything. Just wondering if anyone has installed this dsm kit on their gvr4 and if you have any pics please post'em. I like to get an idea.

This is the kit:
0a515986.jpg

belize1334

While I did the down-flow intercoolers on account of their low pressure-drops, I feel like we're somewhat vertically space limited so I'm not sure I'd put one of those on a GVR-4 (or a DSM for that matter). How big is that core anyway... looks kinda puny. It's probably miles better than stock, but that's not saying much.

cupajoe

Yea your right, its not very big not sure of the exact measurements. I'd rather have a core that fills the space in the bumper so guess i'll just sell it.

belize1334

It might fit nicely next to a civic radiator as a super-short-route intercooler for small turbo / fast response type stuff.

cupajoe

Just found the size It's dimensions are 18"x 6"x 2.75"

Wizardawd

Spearco 221 core

RRE still sells it:

click

Pic installed on a 1g:

click

I have this on my 1g, and Al Blaha ran it on his 1g back in the day. 2g pistons, AFC, HKS cams, FP Red and hacked 1g MAF ran 10.5 So it's more than adequate for most.

Wiz

Quoting belize1334:
While I did the down-flow intercoolers on account of their low pressure-drops, I feel like we're somewhat vertically space limited so I'm not sure I'd put one of those on a GVR-4 (or a DSM for that matter). How big is that core anyway... looks kinda puny. It's probably miles better than stock, but that's not saying much.

Yeah actually back in the day these were really popular. You can go pretty far with these cores. I'd clean it and straighten and fins though.

belize1334

I thought it was the RRE unit. My friend Jon (Qship) is running one and I'm sure it works pretty well for a 14b or 16g so long as you keep it well within the efficiency range. The top-flow design has some real advantages. With less pressure drop the turbo isn't working as hard to make the boost so you tend to be more in the efficiency range than with a side-flow. Still, by modern standards it's not very big for all the cutting that will be required to install it and Jon's hangs down a little below the bumper cover on account of the added height from the end-tanks.

^ Top-flow FTW. Maybe with a battery relocate, the IC could be installed top-mount style with a NACA duct? That way it wouldn't hang below the bumper cover. The intake plumbing might be a little shorter than for a front-mount, too.

I guess that would be kind of silly with the air filter being near the hot IC, though.

TWEAKD4

I have this intercooler on my vr4. I pulled it off my Talon and I paid too much for it and I would't get anything for it so I made it work. It isn't the shortest piping but it works. I have had this IC since '98 when DSM parts where a lot more costly.

cupajoe

Could I get some pics of your setup please?

TWEAKD4

Here are some pictures. They are run like a DSM but you must use a slim fan and relocated battery. It is a tight fit. I used a DSM J pipe and built my own piping. You have to cut some of the headlight support to have room for piping to fit around the rad. If I can do it anyone can.

Wizardawd

I bought my 221 setup with pipes and all from a CarolinaDSM member who said "it wasn't enough for his needs". $160 shipped.

click

Wiz

TWEAKD4

What is his setup? Nice run. My best is on a small 16g and a low compression motor.

Wizardawd

Hacked 1g MAS, 221 FMIC, FP Red, stock cams on that run and motor was never out of the car. Had 2g pistons and that's it. Stock IM as well.

Wiz

BrandonEchols

Anybody know how this compares to a stock Evo 8 core? Looking to make 350-400 whp eventually, probably run a E316G or similar.
Just doing some research...

^I would say this is equal to or a little great than a stock Evo core. The bar and plate design gives it a little more efficiency but the evo core is less work when it comes to endtank design.

curtis

Something else you could do if you want the core flowing from left to right is simply cut the top tank off and flip it 180 degrees and weld back on. Then weld a 90 down then a 90 back towards the factory hotside outlet hole beside the driver side headlight.

cupajoe

Yea, I'm thinking I might just run this core instead of getting a cheap core. Tweakd4 can I get a shot with the bumper on?

Also does anyone know the spec's on this cooler?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned