The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1993 expo trans

kerry92gvr4

I have a w5m332nnxl trans in my AWD expo. It shifts great. I am getting ready to turbo the van and was wondering if this trans would hold up? It is a w5m33 and everything I see says it's almost the same as a 1g or gvr4 trans. Anyone with any knowledge on this or these transmissions​?

fuel

What's the rear axle ratio on the Expo? I figure so long as it's 3.545 and has the same 1G/GVR-4 transfer case ratio (unlike 2G or Evo3) it should work with the 1G DSM/GVR-4 transmission.

kerry92gvr4

They are the same ratio.. I'm wondering though if the expo trans is just as strong as the DSM or Galant vr4 trans . The main casting # is the same.

thomcasey

Go on 4g61t.org and contact Leon. He autocrossed and raced a 92 with the same tranny. He would have good info.

OldHairyBastard

None of these transmissions are good for big power. That said - keep the trans clean and replace the worn out gears and bearings when needed. If your going for over 400whp and you drive like me - don't expect any transmission to last unless its a dogbox. Even then you need to maintain and replace parts regularly. If the trans is loose and not shimmed right it will shatter on hard launches and hard shifting. You can always switch to an auto.

CutlassJim

I've had multiple Expo's. The respective trans'(FWD/AWD) are the same.

Leon_R

They are close, but not the same as DSM trannies. The viscous coupler is about 2/3rd the thickness of the DSM, which means that center diff and the other cover are also different. But they are strong! Well, just as strong as AWD trannies, if you want to call them strong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kerry92gvr4

thank you leon, I thought that i had heard that same thing somewhere before. just was wondering if when doing a 4g63 swap if it would benefit from putting a dsm trans in vs sticking with the expo trans and it seems as if i will stick with the expo trans since its in great shape .

Leon_R

I used van tranny with upgraded DSM viscous coupler and Shep Racing 4 spyder center diff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts