The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1992 mitsubishi expo swap help

omertaitalia

just bought a extra motor and swapped it into the galant, now i have a lot of extra parts basically everything except a good block, my plan is to swap a 4g63t into the van, its been done before and im assuming shouldnt be to hard, im slowly gonna start buying parts, my plan is to swap the complete engine harness and ecu from a 1gdsm into the van to run the 4g63, i dont have any wiring experience and basically planning on relying on a chilton to show me what i need to know, does anybody know anything about what it takes to do this, any help or tips or diagrams that i should see would be a help as well, ive obviously searched everything up and down, alot of people do the 7 bolt swap but nobody has really documented a 6 bolt expo/summit swap with a harness swap

update*
swapping in motor dec mods are
fully built motor purchased from pauiteys part out
galant vr4 ecu with dsm link v3 running sd
evo3 16g
1g harness
walbro 255(soon)
stock 1g smic
balance shaft elimination
arp headstuds
mls headgasket
450 injectors

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

no abs, no power windows,no sunroof.
IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

Last edited:

Okayplayer

I would get an FSM for the expo and 1g. Pull the harness out, and go plug for plug along side of the 1g harness. You should be able to figure what is and isn't there. Then you can take pics of it and more specific questions that the experienced folks on here should have a better chance of answering. I'm guessing there is not too many people who have tried this.

Last edited:

omertaitalia

whats a fsm? if thats a service manual of sorts where would i find it, chilton doesnt make one for this car.
i found this for the 1g: click

Last edited:

Leon_R

What engine is it? It looks like a 1.8

fuel

2.0 4g63 sohc 8v mpi.

Leon_R

Not in US, our engine choices are 1.8 or 2.4. But I am pretty sure that it is a 2.4, it just looks different from my old 2.4, because it is 6 bolt motor.

omertaitalia

i found a 92 factory service manual for the expo on ebay but im not gonna have funds to buy it for a month,hopefully itll still be there. thanks for the help

strokin4dr

I think you would find it easier to use a 2g dsm or evo 1-3 harness in this conversion. I believe these vans have more in common (from a wiring point of view) to these than a 1g. The only things you have to run wires to would be the vss (vehicle speed sensor), I believe it is in the cluster like a 1g dsm as opposed to on the trans like a 2g. And if you wanted ecu control over the fans, you would have to run 2 wires for that.
This is basically what I did in my '93 mirage for the 4g63 swap using the 2g dsm engine harness.
Good luck!

omertaitalia

from what ive heard thats not the case even on the 7 bolt expo's. ill find out for sure when i get the fsm. i will be swapping a 6 bolt ecu harness. heres what leon told me. hes done a 93 summit swap which is a 7 bolt motor, he used a 2g harness like your suggesting. if mine was a 92+ i would use a 2g but i think the 6 bolt will be closer then a 2g.

posted 10/24/11 07:51 AM
'92 is an interesting year, it uses 1G style motor mounts and a 6 bolt 2.4 motor. Good for reusing GVR4/1G parts and 2.4 block is worth more than the 7 bolts .

As for wiring, it is a PITA (since they came with distributor engine). I choose the tough way to do this: I re-pinned ALL the wires to match a 2G DSM. At first glance, it seemed easy (only 30% of pins had to be changed), but dove into it, I discovered some nasty surprises:

- TPS looked like 2G, but was actually reversed in its operation!
- MPI relay looked identical to a 2G but was wired differently! That effected MPI logic, which resulted in ECU being reset to base settings every time it was shut off.
- tach will not run off DSM signal (I swapped in DSM tach) but that has to be done anyway.

I do have a complete 2G/Summit pinout diagram that I will share with DSM community. But... having completed the swap this way, even with my spreadsheet, I would still recommend taking off the dashboard and doing a complete harness swap!

Not removing a dash was one of my motivations to chose the repining approach. But the joke might me on me, because it looks like a just might have a leaky heater core

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Damn, it sounds like he went an ass backwards way of doing it. I never removed the dash, just worked behind the glovebox near the ecu.
As far as him repinning the harness because his previous setup used a distributor, that doesnt make much since. If he used a 2g harness, all you do is plug all connectors to the engine side and then plug the harness into the 2g ecu. Done. The only thing you have to "rewire" and use a volt meter for is to slice wires for accessory switched 12v and +12v from the ignition and make sure you have good solid grounds.
It's a very easy process, it just takes a little time to lay it out. Don't over think it or let someone else confuse you.

Leon_R

Ryan,

I did not re-pined the ECU because it was a distributor setup. That doesn't make any sence...

I re-pinned the harness because I was using 2G ECU and Summit came with 3 (out of 4) 2G ECU plugs. And at that time, I didn't know about TPS being backwards and MPI relay logic being off, so it made sence to do. If anything, I am trying to prevent others from making the same mistake... Or go into it having as much information as possible. But I do like the fact that 100% of my wires going though the firewall are original. There is something to be said about factory wire routing...

If you are using 1G ECU, I would install 1G harness.

If I was doing another 2G ECU swap, I would probably re-pin it again, but only because I now know how to do it.

If I didn't know how to do it, I would use the complete harness swap method.

Last edited:

omertaitalia

Quoting strokin4dr:
Damn, it sounds like he went an ass backwards way of doing it. I never removed the dash, just worked behind the glovebox near the ecu.
As far as him repinning the harness because his previous setup used a distributor, that doesnt make much since. If he used a 2g harness, all you do is plug all connectors to the engine side and then plug the harness into the 2g ecu. Done. The only thing you have to "rewire" and use a volt meter for is to slice wires for accessory switched 12v and +12v from the ignition and make sure you have good solid grounds.
It's a very easy process, it just takes a little time to lay it out. Don't over think it or let someone else confuse you.

im assuming you put a 7 bolt motor and the original motor was a 7 bolt as well? my van is a 6 bolt made in 91 with a 4g64 thats why i plan to use a 1g harness, am i wrong do i need to use a 2g harness to my 1g 6 bolt motor?. When i do the accesory wiring what exactly are you doing,swapping the plugs? or just wiring your lights(interior,headlights),brakes,turn signals,windshield wipers and calling it a day? im planning on starting to buy exactly what i need in around a month so i want to start an accurate build list with a simple plan.

Last edited:

All I know is my friend had one and before he blew it up it was much fun to be had... his was very poorly done so I can't point you in much of a direction.

Leon_R

The type of motor (6 bolt or 7 bolt), has no bearing on which harness/ECU you should use. Use whatever you have around. 1G harness/ECU is usually easier to find because you can choose anything from 91-94 and for 2G you will need a 95 model. Plus, 2G harness is slightly more complicated from the factory.

If there is one positive to using 2G ECU is that it has more potential inputs, so if you like to log a LOT of different extra things (like: fuel pressure, oil pressure and so on), it might be worth to go with the 2G ECU.

Leon_R

Then 1G ECU it is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I am curious, what style of plugs does your ECU uses, 1G or 2G?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts