The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1990 Oil Filter Housing Question?

CP

Final update:

Well, I'm going on 3 entire days now with NO OIL LEAKS! All it took was another filter housing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif This is the first time in many months that the car is not dripping any fluids on my garage floor. And I've only used up half of the 40lb bag of kitty litter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

I'm going to hose the entire undercarriage down (while up on jackstands) with 2-3 cans of degreaser tonight in a local self service wash bay.

atc250r

Staff member
Get some "Spray Nine" and coat the bottom of the car, its better than the petroleum based degreaser IMHO.

John

JB

Your gonna throw your car up on jackstands at the self service car wash? (powerwasher) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Never seen that done yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Polish

Thats not bad idea for those who don't own a power washer.

Cy, take a picture of the other customers as they drive by with the WTF looks on their faces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

All kleen now:

Here's what I've been doing alot all summer due to the leak:

Last edited:

Ha Ha, I knew I wasn't the only one who thought of this. You should see the look on the carwash guy's face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif But hey, the sign says nothing about jacking your car up in the bay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CP

On the filter housing, which side is IN, and which is OUT (looking in from the LF wheelwell)? I want to position the lines so that the IN is at the bottom of the filter, and the top is OUT. That way it'll self-purge any air inside the oil cooler when it begins to flow (and due to the upwards flow, the oil will stay in the cooler longer, thus allowing it to cool down longer).

Last edited:

nice job with the carwash man

i did a vr-4 rear caliper/rotor job in a carwash bay once cause it was raining and i needed a place to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Finished. I used copious amounts of WD40 throughout the process. Pretty easy once you get the correct bit. This one for my Dremel was nice and small, so it fit into the factory hole and slowly enlarged it from there.

click

CP, or any others that have done this, I see that you wrapped half of the housing with tape to keep metal bits out of the other areas but what kind of solvent did you end up cleaning it with after you were done porting it? Just wd40?

Can I remove that bolt that is at the bottom in this photo? I want to make sure I get all the debris out before I bolt it on and run oil through the motor.

Also, thanks for posting pictures guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

ktmrider

Yup, pull the bolt and the plunger and spring drop right out. Best way to douche everything out.

natoe

CP, (or others) where exactly was the leaking oil coming from before you replaced the housing? i have a 90 housing and cooler and have eliminated the balance shafts and it is leaking a lot from down there.

im hoping i didnt blow out my new front case seal or something else because of the extra high pressure... im going to pull the housing soon and dremel the relief hole out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned