The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1933..time for a new clutch.

conquesttsi

So....The previous owner of the car bought this thing with a major boost problem (Demolished wategate). Just to flip it. I guess he didn't know much about these cars because when he replaced the turbo he thought he replaced it with a stock unit, turned out it's an evo 3 big 16 g which I found out after about 2 weeks of boosting around on it just to have the stock clutch start slipping under boost.

Tomorrow I am going to change out the clutch and Flywheel. Just thought I would run the list of parts by you guys to see if I am missing anything.

ACT 2600 extreme pressure plate and Street disk
ACT Adjustment Tool
Fidanza Flywheel
OEM Throw Out Bearing
OEM TOB Clip
OEM Clutch Release Fork
OEM Pivot Ball
3 Quarts Redline MT90 (tranny)
2 Quarts Redline Shockproof Heavy (t case and rear)

I have documentation that came with the car that proves that clutch master and slave were recently replaced, and clutch engagment/ disengagement feels good.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I would go with a mix of RedLine MT90 and RedLine MTL in the transmission. That's what I ran in my galant for 5 years.

Taken off the vfaq.com

"Redline recommends a mix of MTL/MT90 for DSM trannies, I think straight MT90 works better in warmer climates. The colder the climate, the higher percentage of MTL you'll probably want. People in really cold climates seem to have best luck with straight MTL." vfaq.com

conquesttsi

Interesting post, Although it doesn't really explain why or what the mixture should be. It goes on to quote a key passage from Redline that talks about GL5 oils being corrosive to sychro's but mt-90 is a GL4 oil. If the viscosity is about the same I can't understand why the mix?

I called John Shepard's shop before I ordered my fluids a week ago and they reccomended mt-90 in the tranny and the heavy shockproof for the t-case and rear.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

MTL is a bit thinner I think so it helps when the weather is really cold.

This is what I run..
In the tranny is a 50/50 mix or redline lightweight shock proof and mt90. reline heavy weight in the t-case and the rear diff.

conquesttsi

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
MTL is a bit thinner I think so it helps when the weather is really cold.

Why? issues with using MT-90 in the cold? It's rated at 75w90, stock viscosity.

This is not my daily, It won't get much winter use anyway. Only enough to keep all the seals in good shape and so on. Winter road salt is nasty around here and I do not want to subject my gvr4 to that.

Last edited:

conquesttsi

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I knew that, it was a typo. Good catch. :::Fixed:: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

KT

Don't forget new axle seals. I would also install a SS braided clutch line and shifter bushings at the trans since you have it all apart.

conquesttsi

I'm going to be forced to take that advise about the bushings. One of them was so old it just broke when I pulled it leaving the ring on the arm. I though about taking one off a spare line I have just to get going but It looks like I won't be finishing this until next Saturday so I guess I will just pick up new bushings and do it right since I have the time. I just rebuilt the axels so I should be good to go on the axle seals.

KT

Sounds like your set.

Off topic: Do you still have a Quest? Have any pics?

I've got an '88 and have had three others over the years. I'm getting #65 cleaned up this weekend to sell and then it will be back to the Quest. I've got a Marnal head and MPI to start working on.

conquesttsi

Sadly I do not. It's still kind of a sore spot.

I bought it off Ebay for $500 buy it now. Sand mist 87 tsi. It was always a Connecticut car and I had all records including the dealer sticker. The place I got it from turned out to be a bodyshop going out of business and they were liquidating the whole lot of cars they had.

An employee had taken the front off the quest to clean up some rust and the other partner towed the bumper to the junkyard as it was in another car for storage :-

They said it ran but it hit major fuel cut. Fast Forward 2 years...I located the front end but I still couldn't get it going after new injectors/seals/ecu/plugs/wires. So I sold it to a friend for some cash and a tow to pick up my newly purchased 91 gsx since at the time I lived in an apartment and could not keep 2 projects. Well the friend figured out it was just the wiring on the fuel pump...I don't know why I never checked it. He did some mild upgrades and a tune...got a bunch of tickets so decided to sell it. I didn't have the money at the time to buy it back...I know it's got bad cancer now in the wheel area of the quarters that it did not have when I had it...its still kicking around ct somewere :-/

Sorry for the book.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned