The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1901/2000 has a new home and is getting a makeover!

GSNT

It is also sporting a new Kenwood DDX418 and Pioneer TS A1702C 6 3/4" component speakers. I have an older RF Punch 300S amp that I'm going to power them with for much better sound. Someone did the ultimate hack job install on a set of 6x9s in the rear deck. They peeled the metal back with friggin tin snips or something, its totally Effed. Since it is so tore up, I think I'm just going to throw some free-air 8" subs in the deck to have some decent lows and not sacrifice truck space.

Last edited:

GSNT

Quoting GSX_TC:
What all did u use to convert the system to R134a? Because I would like to do that too

Just a set of adapter fittings from NAPA. I just vacuumed everything out of the system at 30 in of vacuum with our machine, injected 3.3oz of pag oil, and recharged it with 2 lbs of R134A and it works as well as I would expect an old converted system to.

fuel

the R134A molecules are smaller than the R12 molecules and naturally leak out of R12 systems. I would say the seals on the pump would be gone, given that there was a gradual loss of refrigerant.

GSNT

So i checked the high side valve and there is absolutely no charge in the system. The belt is covered in pag oil, the compressor seals must have taken a dive.

On a higher note, I removed the bumper and found the driver side frame rail past the core support a little crunched in. It looks like the bumper took a minor hit at some point making the bumper crooked. I did some chain on pole action, hammer and dolly, 6 foot pipe, and any other method I could to get the measurements as close as factory without a frame rack and puller. Now the bumper is straight, front end is squared up and the headlights point in the right direction.

The car needs a ton more work, but I am slowly tackling one thing at a time.

GSNT

It's nearly perfect now. The left side frame rail is still in about a 1/4" but you really can't tell. It looks MUCH better!

tn_IMAG0610.jpg

GSNT

Newest mod!

Luckily, it JUST had started to spin. The stamping on the back of the bearing is still there. The bal shafts are already eliminated, crank/rod has no grooves, other bearings were perfect, so I cleaned the hell out of everything, threw a new set in and so far so good. The phantom knock went away as well!

GSNT

Got these mounted up for it today.
tn_IMAG0626.jpg

New AGX's with H&R fronts and stock Evo VIII rear springs are going on it at the same time.

My 16g decided to shear the exhaust wheel off so a new E16G will be here tomorrow. Thanks to Amber at Forced Performance for getting that thing out asap!

GSNT

tn_IMAG0627.jpg

And if my life couldn't suck any worse right now, I noticed the LF wheel was real wobbly when I got it on the lift. I removed it to find the axle broken right behind the axle nut. Now I need a new driver front axle and probably wheel bearings/seals for that side.

At least I got the clear to close on my first mortgage, if I have any money left!!!

GSNT

I gotta clay bar and wax the hell out of it after working on it. Single stage white takes on grease and will NOT let it go! I'm gonna put some Evo IX rear springs on it and see if they drop the back just a bit. The next exterior mod will be painting the window trims, window tint, and HID's/yellow fogs.

PolskiVR4

Quoting GSNT:
Newest mod!

Luckily, it JUST had started to spin. The stamping on the back of the bearing is still there. The bal shafts are already eliminated, crank/rod has no grooves, other bearings were perfect, so I cleaned the hell out of everything, threw a new set in and so far so good. The phantom knock went away as well!

What kind of bearings did you go with? Just asking cuz I need new ones and am trying to get opinions.

GSNT

Clevite, good enough for NASCAR!!!!!!!! That's what we stock at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt92vr4

Congrats! Look'n good. I'm about to em barque on a similar journey. Just picked up 474/1000 Summit White from Nevada. My wife and I REALLY wanted to fly out and drive it home, but at 3000 miles, two kids, two full time jobs, and college it wasn't a great option. She's being loaded onto a truck tomorrow for the trip home.

It's nice to see people restoring these for daily's. Mine will be my daily. I'm taking the same route and fixing everything before the HP mods begin. I really like the wheels and suspension setup. What size are those?

Keep posting the updates!

GSNT

Finally my cars have a real garage to live in!!!! I just closed today on the house. This is how the garage was when I received ownership. Many upgrades will come soon.

tn_IMAG0649.jpg

tn_IMAG0645.jpg

tn_IMAG0646.jpg

tn_IMAG0647.jpg

tn_IMAG0648.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts