The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1868 Project pump gas (Finally under the knife)

1qkfwd

Ya know when I ordered the turbo the so called reputable vendor knew my plans and that's what they sent. I'm gonna just run it because the setup once done should be pretty efficient setup. That should probably help the airflow. If it surges I'll get the cover ported or one that is. It should flow a little bit more air unported, so who knows will see what she does.

1qkfwd

Its been awhile since I have been on here. Just thought I would update some of the stuff I have been doing to the car. It sat for a bit since I was working on my Talon. I got the talon into the 9s and now have better goals for it. So while I am saving for it I figure its time to start working on 1868.
I did get a few things done to the rear of the car. I got the 4-bolt swapped in, did the 5-lug swap, and new rear brakes. I'll get the front done as soon as the engines in. The work I have been doin now is mostly to the engine and getting it ready to drop in. I have an engine that I pulled out of a 90 GST that had 75k on it. I Did all new gaskets and seals. I modded the head, the oil pump, did the balance shaft elim, and head studs. Im hoping to run this engine til I gather all the parts to build the engine this car deserves. Here are some pics of what I have done already and of some of the mess I had to clean up.
Finally got the engine pulled.
1b66cf05.jpg

Before pics of the master cylinder. Going with something different. I'll get into more detail when I get there.
d4f3a6e5.jpg

The engine all cleaned up and the turbo installed on the engine.
b66ce76f.jpg

d4f65460.jpg

d5dc4c49.jpg

ea5dacf2.jpg

1qkfwd

I guess at over 200K miles on the clock #1868 didnt like how it rode and decided to puke all over my garage.
46f2a75e.jpg

3afa3b85.jpg

brisvr4

Nice, turbo setup looks just like mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
What size drain are you going to use? I went with -12 push on ( AN fittings make too much of a restriction )

1qkfwd

Got yourself a 6262 do ya? My dreaded drain ugh. I spent a good couple day trying to get that POS in there. Theres no way I coulda put a -12 drain. I did a -10 return and its very tight. I guess I could post up a couple pics. I really wasnt going to show that part off because I was a little disapointed having to notch out the engine mount bracket. But it was clearly the last resort without the drain rubbing on something a possibly wearing through.

brisvr4

I pretty much butchered my mount to fit the -12 in there and it still barely fits!
This is how it looks ( test fitted only )The photo is deceptive as it clears everything by a small amount.
If you want me to delete this pic from your thread after you view it just shout out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

b3d8b932.jpg

1qkfwd

Oh wow that is butchered. I'll get a few pics of mine tomorrow. I still may take more off the mount itself just to be safe but I can take it off without messing with the mount now.

brisvr4

Once all the pipework is in you will hardly see that mount anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Just make sure that your oil pressure doesn't go over about 76psi MAX and it should live nicely.

codeofdastreets

Car looks like its going to be a beast, good luck with your build and keep us posted

1qkfwd

I just got parts back today from the powder coater. I'll be getting some pics tomorrow. I may have went a bit overboard. I've never really been a good looks kinda guy. I was happy as long as it was clean and performed well. So I'll let you guys judge the parts.

TylerAdamson

Quoting brisvr4:
I pretty much butchered my mount to fit the -12 in there and it still barely fits!
This is how it looks ( test fitted only )The photo is deceptive as it clears everything by a small amount.
If you want me to delete this pic from your thread after you view it just shout out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

b3d8b932.jpg

Did you buy a drain kit or did you make that yourself? I've had issues with what most vendors sell and end up switching a few things out to make it work properly without hitting the motor mount. From what I've seen and used most vendors use an aluminum drain flange tapped for 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread. They then supply you with a straight barb fitting which ALMOST always hits the motor mount. If you were to swap out the straight fitting for a 45* fitting it would likely clear without issue. I've done this on 3 different cars with 3 different turbos with 3 different drain kits from 3 different vendors.

brisvr4

The drain off the turbo is a 3/4 straight pipe that I purchased over here and for the fitting on the sump I cut the stock tube off and welded a 3/4 pipe to it on a slight angle so the hose wouldn't kink.

1qkfwd

OK here are some of the pics of my return line. Im probably going to take a little more off the mount so that it doesnt touch with vibrations. Take note on how close the bolt is to the fitting in the first pic.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

Now I didnt originaly intend on going this far. But the car having over 200K on it I wanted to change out all the bushings. The crossmembers where so dirty and caked with grime. On top of that there was a couple spots that aquired some surface rust. SO while I had the engine out and was this far into the project I thought I would clean things up. There pretty shiney and cant wait to see what they look like installed in the car. Of course with them looking this nice Im gonna have to go purchase some new hardware to go with it. Leave some feed back on if you like the color or not.

IMG_0917.jpg

Ill post more pics up after I get most this installed in the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts