The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

18 degrees.?

tintoy

Adjust my base timing to 5 degrees tdc (grounded) with 750 rpm. Engine off Removed the ground, start the engine check the timing with 750 rpm (no ground), timing is 18 degrees (timing should be 8 degrees right?). Help pls... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Boostin_AWD

The ecu will adjust timing even at idle. I won't sit at an exact spot without the pin being grounded. Although 18* does sound a little high. Try starting the car. Then ground the pin and check timing. If its still at 5* unground the pin without shutting it off and see what it does. Are you using software to watching timing or just a timing light?

tintoy

My idle is 750rpm. Set the base timing (grounded) to 5 degrees. The idle raise to 850rpm (still grounded) and adjust the idle again to 750rpm. Engine off, remove the ground start the engine check the timing (no ground), timing is 18 degrees. Idle went down to 650rpm. Again adjust the idle to 750rpm recheck the timing still at 18 degrees. Help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

James

Are you setting the idle correctly? You have to ground more than one thing

Boostin_AWD

Are you referring to the diagnostic pin as well? I've always just grounded the timing pin and set it. Thats how the vfaq is written. I believe the manual says to groud the diagnistic pin, start the car and let it fully warm up. Set base idle at 700-750 with all accessories off then shut it off. Unground the diag pin and ground the timing pin. Start the car and make sure its fully warm. All accessories off set timing to 5*btdc. Shut car off and unground pin.

ktmrider

The "other" pin is to set the ISC to center. Otherwise the ECU makes initial idle corrections from stroke center. It will eventually relearn however it would explain his jump/shift in idle once the bay plug is ungrounded.

Most US loggers ground the Diag pin automatically when connected. Helps set idle anyway vs watching the tach needle.

tintoy

yes i want to set first the idle correctly before adjusting the timing. my problem is that i can't identify which pin to ground in my diag plug, coz the picture provided by vfaq (1g BISS)is not the same with mine, if I'am right. here is a picture of my diag plug and pls tell me which pin to ground. so the i can correctly adjust first my BISS.

tintoy

sorry about the picture (left side down). the right position of the box is that the two pins form the left are on top. pls help... thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts