The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1772/2000: A love story

weirdbeard

Just noticed your rust threads, definitely good to stuff to know. I wish I still worked at my previous job. It was an aeronautical machine shop, I had access to media blasting. All the machining I could want, anodizing, the list goes on.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting weirdbeard:

Here in AZ, rust is almost impossible to spread.

I plan on going through the rest of the car and de-midwestifying it.

Almost impossible. As I'm sure you know, once something has started rusting, it doesn't stop until the rust is neutralized or removed. There may be very low humidity in AZ, but I assure you it's enough moisture to make the rust in the pictures you posted spread like cancer. It may be at a decelerated rate, but none the less, it's inevitable.

You're doing the best thing possible, which is address the issue sooner than later. But, make sure you do things right in order to avoid having to do them again. For example, you'll need to drill out and extract that rusty hardware the broke off. Otherwise, it will continue to rust, and create another rust hole. I absolutely feel your pain, because I was right where you are when I started my build. I can also attest to the time and effort it takes to fix an issue like this...You've got your work cut out for you. This is definitely no 30 minute fix when done right.

weirdbeard

No real major updates as of yet. Been super busy with school and the little one.

I did an oil change with some rotella 15/40 diesel oil and the trans fluid and I am about to do the xcase this weekend. I think I am having issues with the clutch and/or the transmission. It grinds second pretty bad when the trans fluid is cold, and it will grind third. Luckily Josh has a spare laying around so I have that to fall back on.

Other than that, I have just been driving her as much as possible. It is essentially my daily driver right now. I need to get another baby seat for the back so I can drive it even more.

It leaks power steering fluid from almost every fitting going to the rear so I either want to eliminate it, or get it situated. Most likely eliminated.

Then after that comes pulling it apart one piece at a time to get thing de-rusted and cleaned up.

Recent pic for attention.

Oh I have also been cleaning up a lot of things under the hood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned