The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1721/2k's new, terrifying adventure.

Whelp.... its on jackstands for the first time while in my possession. Wow it's cramped under here. Now is a really bad time to develop claustrophobia.

And now I have some good news. We're on the final stretch.

That came off after a few minutes of whispering sweet nothings into its ear.... after the AC compressor was demounted form its bracket.

About as organized as the government, but it still works for what it is.

Last edited:
Haven't died... but have learned quite a bit over the last few days.

First lesson: The last owner of this car was a firm believer in zipties. I'm half surprised the timing belt wasn't made of zipties.
Second lesson: Punching the engine in the process of breaking free bolts is a painful experience.
Third lesson: Transmissions are heavy. 0/10 would not lift again. Engines, however, are heavier. Thank all things holy for engine stands.

By those facts its easy enough to tell that the engine has finally been liberated from its mortal shell and transcended to a new level. (And its a six bolt! Woo.)

Engine hoist and engine stand both courtesy of Garage_Defeat, whom I'd like to thank once again for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

So I have a fresh stock trans. to replace the original one I have on here, and so hopefully that'll be on soon enough. For now though the work into the engine has begun.
I believe I've found the source of the major oil leaks that have plagued this engine for some time now. Inspection of the valve cover gasket goes to show that somebody believed 'the tighter the better' quite a lot, and even got to the point of using the valve cover to cut through parts of the gasket. So that'll certainly be removed and replaced before everything gets torqued to proper spec.

G

Staff member
Your pain has just started my friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

I think that's the first time I've seen anyone smiling while elbow deep into a GVR4 project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That's called delirium.

It's a mix of delirium, psychosis, and probably brain damage (As a result of all that good head-to-hood action. Boom chicka ow-ow.)

Right now its at a bit of a stall as I try to figure out a deal. Seeing if I can get the engine taken in, machined, possibly squared/honed, have valve guides cleaned up and all that good stuff.... for relatively cheap. (Workin' them connections yo.) If that passes through then I'll just be tearing the block all the way down and sending it in. New pistons and such will be added if I get the full package. If not then just a new MLS head gasket. (It already has one, but considering half the stuff on this thing had a minimum of 3 zip ties on them... I'm questioning if they had it machined down before slapping that thing on.)

In other news I did pop the VC and the gasket is well... royally... fornicated. but everything underneath there looks good. Cams look good, lifters all look intact, and the bearings seem to be in one piece.

prove_it

I always like to bust out the torque wrench on anything internal on something I've never had before.

I like your attitude and humor, your going to do well on this forum.

So, still not dead. Just been a bit busy and have had some delays on things. My bank account is soon to be shorted about $1k in engine parts. I did end up getting the block into a shop and its going to be tanked, decked, bored, and all that good stuff. Then I'm slapping in some new weisco 9:1 pistons, fresh valves, guides, and other such things.

What we learned with this project so far: Previous owner had a thing for silicon sealant, in all the wrong ways sadly. The oil pan was held on with enough silicon to support the microprocessor business for the next three centuries.... but that's alright, kept the oil in (Unlike the VC gasket). However, that same silicon sealant had pressed out and worked its way into the pickup and into the oil passages... they didn't take so kindly to that and had been seriously clogged. As according to the professionals they said the keepers were pretty seriously seized and held into the head pretty well... but no damage had been done. Intake valves on the No 4 and 2 cylinders had been regurgitating exhaust&oil back into the intake system. Fortunately it wasn't disastrous, just the valves were pretty well fouled. Most of the exhaust valves were seriously fouled and didn't seem like they'd seat pretty well, but since I'm getting new ones.... maybe I'll make some cutlery out of the old stems. They make wrench-handled knives.... why can't I have a valve-handled fork?

Update of all the things that happened before the engine went to the shop:
I found a new favorite tool.... a big metal stick. (2' 1/2" drive breaker bar)
Head gasket was going bad, started to ooze oil through the layers.
And there's no evidence of valves getting *Ahem* 'Bitch slapped by pistons'.

*EDIT*

New parts are in. Here's a bit of a hint of what's going down.

9:1 C.R. set. Tasty stuff.

Full valves, guides, head bolts, main bearings, freeze plugs, Gates timing belt, AC belt, replacement lug stud to replace the one the P.O. sheared on the driver side front wheel, new axle nut (Mainly needed the cotter pin, as the old one had to be cut out, decided to just grab a kid because why not.), MLS Head gasket, and a freakin' partridge in a pear tree.

My bank account is sobbing, my college is probably going to find out, and my car is still waiting patiently for good things to happen. Life is good.

Last edited:
Well, things will be picking up this saturday. (9/5/2015) as I will officially have my engine back form the shop and I'll actually be home to assemble this thing for once. Sadly didn't get to finish it before going into the higher education system...but, hey, trust me.... I'm learning how to be an engineer.

She should be running by labor day, or so I hope. (DSM be breaking many hearts and schedules alike.)

Anyway, there's that short note. -- Cheers.

Ahahahahaha, labor day. What a quaint goal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

It was only earlier tonight that the car was lowered off a jack and pushed out of the garage to the driveway once again. Finally in the *Actual* home stretch.

Pictures fell low on the priority list as I snapped, sheared, burned, sliced, and bruised my way through the building process. I'll post some pictures and appropriately name them "How not to build a DSM." ASAP.

With finals coming up and a winter semester break approaching more time will be freed up to allow me to dump out the old, expired, gas and pour in some fresh 93 for the inaugural start. IT IS - still not - ALIVE!

Still not dead yet, and gettin' betta',
Machiavellian

kumfasa

The moment of truth awaits. Good times, can be a bit nerve racking though.
I look forward to the pics and the first start vid. Great work.

Well, the time sort of came and went, the first start went massively undoccumented for a few reasons. The main reason of all being that I couldn't feel my arms. In an entirely unrelated note, don't drain 10 gallons of fuel from your car in 40 degree weather with a breeze as that fuel really likes to steal all the heat from your limbs.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

However, after a good bit of testing and other such things it started to level out and become more reasonable. With a little help from Dan, Garage_Defeat, It got timed and further zeroed in on running conditions.

Galant vr4 start, idle, and quick walkaround

Apologies for the poor lighting, and otherwise novice video. -- At least it was filmed with a legitimate device this time and not my infamous Grade B kosher potato.

-Machiavellian

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned