The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1635/2000 Build up thread!

stealthtt24

Ok cool I did, hopefully the wiring harness is intact, I never really got a chance to look at it. Next up is the 4 bolt rear swap!

Redlinegvr4

the only thing you need to do is re connect the two halfs of the maf wire.. cause for the afc u need to cut it. other than that its good to go.

Redlinegvr4

no problem man.. if u got any other questions let me know.. ill try to help.

stealthtt24

Ive realized I still have a lot of work to do with this car if its going to an October 4th meet, so im ordering a new AFCO radiator, new TOB and clutch fork and clutch slave cylinder! Then I gotta mount the radiator along with the GReddy intercooler, heres a pic of the FP race manifold wrapped.

digicampics-1.jpg

Link to the AFCO I bought

click

Redlinegvr4

oh.. the shift linkage on that car is a lil messed up so when u put a transmission in be sure to check it.

stealthtt24

Thanks I will, removed the rear end and just waiting on the axles to come and my friend to paint the new 4 bolt and thats getting thrown in.

Redlinegvr4

sweet man.. it will be done soon enough.. it better be done by the time i get out of basic training so i can go for a ride in that beast.

stealthtt24

Its been a while since ive updated this, and ive done a few things since then... still need to get the stupid 4 bolt rear in, just being lazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Ive ordered most of the parts, other than a flywheel and flywheel bolts. Evo 9 seats are bolted in as well...

My new afco radiator

digicamphotos016.jpg

Not bolted in yet
galantprogress002.jpg

Most of the 4ws crap I removed
galantprogress001.jpg

the rest of the 4ws crap and my fuel feed line to fuel filter
galantprogress005.jpg

If anyone was listening to me talk about how to block off my 4ws, this is the method i came up with
galantprogress003.jpg

galantprogress004.jpg

Got the fuel pump assembly back, now I just gotta put it back together!

fuelpumpassembly004.jpg

fuelpumpassembly005.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

003-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Some progress as of today. Finished the fuel pump assembly installation and installed the missing crossmembers. I have the Evo 9 seats bolted in, the fuel pump assembly and STM tank to rail kit installed, and new clutch master and slave cylinder, oem tob, fork, and pivot ball. Ive misplaced my timing belt mount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif so once I find that and install the 4 bolt I plan on dropping the motor in. Just need a driver side axle! Im pretty sure im missing a ton of bolts with this so that will be fun tracking those down.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Little update. I'm missing some pictures but deal with it.

93 headlights i got from the junkyard (thanks james for sending me there!)

IMAG0204.jpg

Ordered new tie rod ends, tie rods, sway bar end links and ball joints cause the old ones were junk...

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

Lookie what I found in my car!

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

When you have good friends, they install it for you!

IMAG0223.jpg

Still a long way to go but a start for now!

IMAG0225.jpg

stealthtt24

So heres the to-do list before the car gets turned over-

-Install transfer case
-Install front axles, tie rods and ends, end links, etc.
-Hook up connections and order 45 degree fitting for line to fuel rail
-Install intercooler and piping
-Install radiator and plumbing
-Attach front bumper securely
-Fill oil, tranny, brake, coolant, rear end, transfer case fluids

Its not much of a list, but tackling it one at a time will help. Im hoping next weekend I can knock some of this stuff out. And that is just to start the car! Evo suspension will be installed after the car runs along with interior needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Well the rear end is in for the most part, just waiting for the axle clip to come in the mail and add some fluid (see other thread). Today I started to tackle the front suspension but didn't get very far. I think I'm going to have to stop and order brake parts. I'm pretty bummed cause I was hoping I could address this issue after the car ran but now its a lot worse than I thought.

I'm almost sure that the brakes all the way around are done for. Calipers, rotors, pads, lines. Like I said in the beginning the car is a flood victim and I don't think I should take the chance. So I know for sure I'm going to order SS lines, i've got two brand new rear rotors, but stuck on the calipers and pads. Like I said I want to replace all 4 calipers and new pads, what do you guys think for the calipers? No autox or road course, just some track days a few times out of the year and fun driving. Looking for ease of install (ie no 3kgt swap) and OK on the wallet. I'd like to order them all (calipers and pads) from the same place. Rockauto has a sh*t ton of choices or I could skip up to Advance and see what brands they have. Advice please! Forgot to mention, when the car was being towed onto the flatbed to come home, the brakes (and any other time its been pushed) have always locked up on us.

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

This is what all the rotors/calipers look like.

stealthtt24

A little progress. For the calipers, I went with rebuilt Cardone and having my friend paint them black. Pads, I researched a bit on the boards and picked up Wagner ThermoQuiets, $60 online for fronts and rears! Bought some used rear Brembo rotors and SS brake lines. Now its time to play the waiting game. Waiting on the SS lines, rear rotors, and my friend to clean up the front knuckles and paint the calipers. Pretty much finished the install of the tie rods, end links, and ball joints. Not that bad of a job, although I'm having a bit of a problem getting the ball joint boots on. Also, I'm putting this in here as a reminder to myself. Find a grease gun and grease the tie rods, end link and joints!

I've got vacation coming up next week and I'm hoping to complete the brake install and figure out my stupid rear end axle problem. Then after that its working under the hood!

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

Barnes

Holy rap your driveshaft yoke is rusted to hell. Please don't put that back in your transfer case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

stealthtt24

I won't, that's the downside to saving a flood victim car. I'll be taking this to it shortly...

IMAG0044.jpg

Barnes

I dunno man. It might be shot. Unless you get that sucker smooth the seal won't last long, or seal at all. A t-case recall kit is cheap and includes a brand new yoke and universal joint. You might wanna look into that first.

bustedsm

At least get it off the ground, you're running your driveshaft bushings with it just hanging there...

stealthtt24

Other than trying to get the driver side axle in and figure out these MOOG ball joint boots (will not fit over the freaking ball joints...) I'm just waiting on my friend to finish painting my front knuckles and calipers. Once that's done, I can install the brakes and get this thing off JSB. Through the downtime, I've cleaned the end of the drive shaft, purchased my suspension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, and installed SS brake lines. Been under the hood as well cleaning up the dirty as bolts with the wire wheel.

$150 picked up for the EVO 9 RS suspension!

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

stealthtt24

Little bit of an update. Going to install the rear end this week, still waiting on my friend to paint the font knuckles and calipers. He's taking forever! On to pics.

Got my transfer case blasted then found some caliper paint in my roommates garage space. Results?

IMAG0074-1.jpg

IMAG0073-1.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts