The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

15's on the Galant

Terrance362

What's up? I wanted to run Rota Sliptstreams on the ol galant. There isn't any clearance issues is it with stock brakes is it? I wanted to run 15x7. Any input will help. Thanks in advance

turbofonz

Stock wheels are 15" I haven't seen a 15" that doesn't fit over stock sized brakes

Terrance362

That's what I said. I was telling a buddy I was gonna run them and he was saying they wouldn't work for some odd reason. Thanks man for the info/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

fuel

it all comes down to the spoke design and offset. If the wheels are designed more for RWD cars with a lower offset, chances are the spokes are too close to the mounting face to clear the brake calipers. Slipstreams tend to be used on mostly FWD cars so you should be fine.

strokin4dr

My 15x7 slipsteams clear the vr4 brakes on my mirage. It's very close but they clear.

slugsgomoo

A lot of it comes from FUD from DSM guys who are confused because their car came stock with 16s, so clearly that is what you need to clear the DSM "Big brakes". Of course, the fact that our cars came stock with the same brakes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am just glad MH is building a bias ply 17" tire now, because my brakes preclude my ability to run small wheels anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting turbofonz:
Stock wheels are 15" I haven't seen a 15" that doesn't fit over stock sized brakes

I have wagon wheels ala Monte Carlo style, and although they have special in and outboard lips to make them super hubcentric, with the addition of machine rotor centers, my Colt is wearing Galant VR4 rotors, and Galant VR4 15" rims ... albeit with Wilwood 4 pot calipers under them, and just clearing by less height than a thin wheel weight takes up. In fact I had to move the weights in the outer portion of the barrel, just to get the wheels on without hearing a scraping, which also would have been worse when cornering.

So yeah, they fit, no problem.

belize1334

Could also have clearance issues with the rear trailing arm. The backspace is reduced closer to the hub so wider wheels have to also be larger diameter or they'll interfere. Here's a good link for known combinations. click

Vince

The bad part about even considering 15" rims is that the size tire itself is being discontinued. All performance 15" tires have vanished except for a few remaining basic all season tires with dismal 'soccer mom' compounds.

I need tires, but have to look at bumping to 16s rims just to get a quality compound. Chasing after 15s is a waste of time and a loosing battle in the long run.

Vince

gvr4ever

You can still get a few 205.55.15 in performance catagory. Stock size seems to not have a single performance tire left.

I agree in the long run, 16s+ are the way to go. If you are looking to buy new wheels in the first place, don't bother with 15s.

I'll probably get one more set of 205.55.15s and deal with upgrading to 16s at a later date.

Last edited:

fuel

You can go 205/60 R15 too as an alternative. They used this size on a few performance cars (namely EvoII/III) and some good tyres are still available.

gvr4ever

Good to know on the 205.60.15

Just looked on tire rack and they had one track tire in that size. They currently have 3 options in the summer performance category for 205.55.15.

Didn't check other tire sources. Options are limited, but they at least still exist.

Vince

Agreed, and good to know, as I was looking at OEM sizes. Probably should buy a set soon before they disappear!

Still unfortunate that none of the available compounds are a match to what I run on all other (and past) cars, but they are certainly better than basic All Seasons!

Thanks!

idreamidrive

Quoting Vince:
All performance 15" tires have vanished except for a few remaining basic all season tires with dismal 'soccer mom' compounds.

That statement is not even remotely true. 15" tires are still golden due to all the E30 BMWs, miatas, and other 80s/90s racing car series/autox. You just need to get 205/50/15 or 225/45/15 which isn't the correct size for us to spin the odometer correctly.

16" are pretty much dead.

17"+ has a ton of options.

belize1334

^
IMO, 205/50/15 and 225/45/15 are too small for these cars. By contrast, 205/55/16 and 225/50/16 are both excellent sizes and a quick search on TireRack will return many good options across all performance categories. The problem with 16's is not the tires, it's the wheels; finding a AWD compatible offset in anything wider than 16x7 is very difficult.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
As William mentioned 205/55/15s above, that size is the best match in overall diameter tire staying with the 15 inch size. 205/50/16 is very close if going up a diameter.

I had a set of 205/50/15 on one of my GVR4s when I bought it, and they looked stupidly small.

I may have a set of new tires in the 55 size available if someone wants them. I got them last year with some wheels I bought, but I may not use them. I will check the brand and model and verify the size.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts