The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139: so close to a 10.

Hertz

Staff member
Did you use all the correct mounts or did you someone jam it in there with DSM mounts?

Barnes

Uhg. That sucks. Well, make sure to get new bolts too. Who knows what could have caused this, might as well eliminate everything that could be wrong.

On the bright side this supports your philosophy of not spending crazy dollars on built engines. Imagine how pissed you would be if you had to take your built motor apart and put it all together with a new block. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting Hertz:
Did you use all the correct mounts or did you someone jam it in there with DSM mounts?

correct gvr4 front bracket, I had to buy one off this forum as this motor/trans was jammed in with dsm front mount when I bought #931. I put the right bracket in the last shell while doing a clutch job. Same mounts went into this car when I swapped into the currect body. The mounts all line up fiine other than the poly mounts making it a tight squeeze.

NateCrisman

Quoting turbowop:
That sucks sooooo bad. What in the f***? Srsly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sorry, Nate.

sucks hard! I think if I'm going to pull the motor, I might see about trading for a bigger turbo and redo the fmic and pipes while its apart. Maybe jump to a 60lb/min range turbo since I'm leaning toward taking more weight out next spring and trying to go a bunch faster, like low 10's 130mph range.

gtluke

having the bolts come loose probably compromised the hell out of it.

I dunno wtf mitsu was thinking. We really could use 2 more bolts.
4 bolts and 1 of them being tiny as hell is really pretty dumb.

IIRC my miata has 7 not including the starter bolts. wtf

turbofonz

Perhaps off topic... but what mounts are GVR4 specific?

1badgvr4

Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting turbowop:
That sucks sooooo bad. What in the f***? Srsly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sorry, Nate.

sucks hard! I think if I'm going to pull the motor, I might see about trading for a bigger turbo and redo the fmic and pipes while its apart. Maybe jump to a 60lb/min range turbo since I'm leaning toward taking more weight out next spring and trying to go a bunch faster, like low 10's 130mph range.

Pte billet 6262.

Brianawd

Nate that can be welded. We weld blocks at work all the time. You just need to find some one that is really good at welding cast. The guy that does it at work for us heats up the cast then uses a high Nicol rod.

turbowop

Quoting gtluke:
having the bolts come loose probably compromised the hell out of it.

I dunno wtf mitsu was thinking. We really could use 2 more bolts.
4 bolts and 1 of them being tiny as hell is really pretty dumb.

IIRC my miata has 7 not including the starter bolts. wtf

While I would tend to agree with you in thinking it needs more bolts, I always revert back to the fact that the setup has done pretty well over the years, including surviving some pretty hefty rally abuse in WRC cars.

Sorry about your luck Nate. I have no doubts when your done rebuilding it that it'll be more of a beast then it already is.

JSchleim18

Nate I'm going to be pulling the motor out of 1157 very soon if you want to take it. Complete longblock assembly with 100k

PM me if you have any interest...I'll let it go for pretty cheap as well.

Sorry to hear about the block...I was hoping to see 10's on that thing but what you have done so far is pretty impressive...good work!

Last edited:

NateCrisman

425whp maybe? Im guestimating by comparison to local evo8 that just dyno'd on turbotrix AWD dynojet. he made 400+whp, trapped 120mph, weight is stock.

NateCrisman

Well. Tightened up the other 3 trans bolts, shot the underside with carb cleaner, started and warmed the motor. Can't see any oil leaks Wtf! Clutch feels normal and with the top two and rear 12mm bolts tight, I can't pry the trans away from block in the front.

So I think I'm going to push my luck and run it at island one last time with the front trans bt missing. Who knows, block could have been cracked & disconnected for a while now and I just found it. So long as I check the remaining three bolts every pass and it's not pumping oil out, I should be ok to make one more track day.

I'll figure out a permanant fix, likely pull motor & get it welded then put it back in. Maybe with a bigger turbo in the 60lb/min range.

JSchleim18

Siqqq glad to hear that! I hope it doesn't take a sh*t all over the track

NateCrisman

Grain of salt is needed there. My car was 3060lb with driver for the 11.1@123 It might not even be 425whp, that was only a guestimate compared to a heaver local evo8 that trapped 120 on pump and made 420whp/385tq on a GT30R turbokit at turbotrix's awd dynojet.

I would figure his car is maybe 300lb heavier than my VR4 and could account for my traps being 3mph higher. Guestimate is we make about the same power (maybe less tq for me since I have a sheet intake and worse spoolup)

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting JSchleim18:
Siqqq glad to hear that! I hope it doesn't take a sh*t all over the track

Me too. Those coilovers and especially the Hoosiers are awesome. Thanks again. Tires were the key to success with the car thus far, easily the best mod yet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts