The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139: so close to a 10.

NateCrisman

Went to Island tonight with #139 tonight for Test&tune hoping to break into the 10's:

100# lighter, on racegas, with bigger springs in the tial wastegate. I did not get time to make that 4" intake pipe so I just ran it with open turbo & missing headlight.

Total weight was about 3060lb. Boost was still dropping off to 24psi. I must have some other issue, maybe a leak in the piping.

Anyway, here are the runs:

11.523 @ 122.00 1.721 had tires set to 30psi, I spun then hard and let off in first gear. boost was at street setting of 25psi

11.732 @ 120.81 1.763 Tires down to 17psi, dead hooked and bogged the launch.

11.329 @ 121.72 1.549 good launch, early 1-2 shift at 7000. Boost spiking to 26, setting down to 24psi.

11.104 @ 123.36 1.492 Awesome launch @ 6600rpm. not a hint of spin, the car just took off. all clean gear changes with the throttle down at about 7800rpm. Boost hit 28 for a little bit in 3rd then went right back down to 25. I'd guestimate that 75% of the run the boost was under 25psi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Fifth run I got an even better launch, but broke the drivers rear axle inside the outer CV boot midway through first gear. The car came out even harder, Id bet a mid 1.4 60'. I left at 6750rpm with about 14psi on 2step. I had raised the boost controller, added 2* more timing, and leaned out the AF a bit more for this run too hoping to see a 10.xxx.

That 11.10 moved me up to #9 on the DSMtimes GVR4 list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Cool and all to break into the top 10, but I really wanted that 10.xxx. Damn

So, while I still think the car had a 10 in it for the night, there is still something wrong in the boost control setup. Seems increasing the duty cycle on the AEM controller gives me a bigger spike, but it always settles down to about 24psi at high rpm. I'll have to do a leak test asap. Increasing the spring pressure in the Tial external from 1.0 to 1.4bar seems to have changed nothing.

Air temps were also not very good, starting in the 60s at the line on most runs and getting past 115*F at the traps, about 55*F gain in temp! That's pretty bad, Im starting to suspect the fmic core is holding back quite a bit of power and am suspicious of it being part of the boost drop issue.

I think Im going to try and make some graphs of the boost and rpm logs, post, and see what others think.

ACT250R came out and made some videos for me, Ill try and get them uploaded to youtube tomorrow. He was a super help and good advise the whole night. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Drove the car home from the track with the broken axle all contained in the cv boot. Made it home without issue. I love welded center diff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Man what a difference a good driver makes. With what you have in it you're 10's in my book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

vapid

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Very Nice

+1

11.1 at 123 is great. Those 1.4 60 fts are helping out nicely! Suprising you havent broken an axle sooner than that though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You don't have meth/water injection do you? You might just be at that point where you need to have that extra push to cool down the charge temps.

NateCrisman

Water/meth...no I don't have either. But I do have a n2o injection kit stashed away that would lower the charge temp even better.

After reviewing logs, this 123.3mph in racegas was at less overall boost than the 120.9mph on pumpgas with just about the exact same curve of boost dropping off with rpm. I'm starting to thing this XS Power fmic core is the next thing in line to be replaced (well after the axle of course). I don't have the Instrumentation or the time to correctly figure out pressure drop and temp diff accross the core, so it would simply be a swap & see kinda mod.

atc250r

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if that core is at its limit. Glad I could be of help Nate, you've forgotten more about making a 4G63 go fast than I'll ever know. I'll be asking for your help when its time to get DSMap going in my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

John

BoostedAWD91

very nice nate! i think im gonna switch to dsmap as well this winter. i just cant get my car to run right with the vpc/gcc setup. some days it runs great and others it runs like crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

RedTwo

Bloody hell... I think you need some racing stripes. You can't be fast without racing stripes!

turbofonz

Jeez, VERY good driving!

123 mph and LOW 11's... don't see that with dsm's very often.

Brianawd

Not much I can say but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

onesickcrx

Really great numbers :dthum:

How is driving the welded center diff around town? Do you still consider it to be a street car?

Quoting NateCrisman:
Water/meth...no I don't have either. But I do have a n2o injection kit stashed away that would lower the charge temp even better.

After reviewing logs, this 123.3mph in racegas was at less overall boost than the 120.9mph on pumpgas with just about the exact same curve of boost dropping off with rpm. I'm starting to thing this XS Power fmic core is the next thing in line to be replaced (well after the axle of course). I don't have the Instrumentation or the time to correctly figure out pressure drop and temp diff accross the core, so it would simply be a swap & see kinda mod.

Very nice times. I think I have the same core as you do and I haven't had an issue with it yet. Are you thinking that the pressure drop is just too much? I'll will see if I can dig up any pictures of mine.

2of9

awesome numbers! 11.1 at 123 trap! that is flippin sweet.

charmcity

very impressive... Keep up the good work.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts