The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 no longer looks like a monster truck - new pics

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting NateCrisman:
I really want to get my nicer rear bumper cover on.

You should definitely do that since a lot of people are going to be seeing nothing but the back of your car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

John

turbofonz

Looks mean as hell with the Hoosiers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting atc250r:
Quoting NateCrisman:
I really want to get my nicer rear bumper cover on.

You should definitely do that since a lot of people are going to be seeing nothing but the back of your car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

John

Haha, yeah, that's my next project for monday. The cover that's on the car now is so nasty. It was painted with rattle cans in some generic dark green. When you wash the car, if you touch the mit to it, the mit comes off green. No point in even compounding/waxing it. This shell came with a really nice rear cover with just about no scratches and matching shiny paint, but I tore the support/foam out of it to weigh and threw those parts out. When I put the car together, I was so anxious to drive it, I just stuck the whole bumper assembly off the parts car on vs swapping the covers. I'v just been procrastinating on making brackets to eliminate the metal support & foam. Now that the rest of the car got wash & wax, the rear bumper just looks more horrendous.

JB

or a nice launch vid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

NateCrisman

Im going to island dragway tomorrow night to hopefully improve my ET a bunch. Tonight I need to swap in a new lc1 wideband to replace my non working one. Also really want to do the rear bumper work. Didn't have time yesterday, and today I was at umdnj all day getting 2 root canals (not fun!).

Anyway, hopefully il have a whole bunch of 11 second slips to tell about. I have a digital camcorder and plenty of pro still camera equipment, just can't shoot & drive simultainously. If I can find someone to entrust equipment to, I'll post pics/video.

NateCrisman

technically, yes, the tires are DOT legal for street use. BUT it would be very foolish to do that, as they would likely be totally worn out in maybe 200-300 miles. They are in reality a full drag slick tire with two little slots cut for "tread". These tires were made DOT legal simply to skirt some rules for some class that needed street tires.

Other than the tires, yeah, #139 is a total street car: full interior, valid registration - insurance - current inspection, 17" street wheels/tires, power steering, stereo, oem gas tank. Just typical mods thus far, the hoosier tires are the only race-only modification.

Depending on my mood over winter, I may decide to put a rollbar, 5pt harnesses, and race seats in to make the car NHRA legal for faster than 11.50. As it sits the car should be faster than that on a good run, and it will be pretty boring for me to be at the end of the line as far as doing more modifications or not really being able to run the car at it's full potential. My intentions were to keep it as an everyday driver street car, but frankly, I put so much work and money into it already that I scared of getting hit by another driver and also want to keep the car mint and clean by not putting thousands of miles on it. If it's just going to be a weekend toy, I won't mind the hassle of a rollbar and harnesses.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Bleh, drove to the track, but it started raining halfway there. They ended up calling it a night right after I got in line at the gate.

Before I left I put the boost up to 26.5psi and added 2-3* of timing from 5000rpm up to 8000. Def pulls harder now and seems to run a little cleaner with new plugs and more timing. Still 0 knock on a 2 & 3 gear pull from a roll in second, maybe I can get the boost up to 28psi? For some reason unknown to me, this specific combo seems to be able to run what I would have previously considered "racegas boost levels" on straight 93. WTF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Granted, only 15* of timing. On 116 racegas I'd be looking for 22-23* total timing and a bit leaner to 12.5. I'm currently running mid 11's for A/F

The previous 119.58mph was on about the same boost and a flat timing map of 12* total with AIT's starting at 113 and ending at 126*F (85*F ambient night). Tonight my cruising AIT was in the low 60's. I'm going to bet the car would have gone a couple mph faster tonight , so I'm pretty bummed with the rainout. I can't go this friday or next friday night or this coming sunday. Maybe the next sunday the 27th? Sundays you can run open exhaust too...hrm....I never got a weight on my exhaust system..bet it's like 40lb and worth a tick of power to run an open o2 housing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
Don't run it without the exhaust until you've made at least a few runs with it. Knowing what the car runs with the exhaust off is pretty much meaningless when you spend most of your time playing with the car on the street. I was running right around 26psi on my car with about the same total timing and AFR's but I would occasionally see a little (less than 7 counts) knock. That turbo you've got is definitely a fantastic piece for pump gas. My next turbo will either be a bolt on PTE 50 trim or one of the FP's that uses a Tial WG flange right on the exhaust housing that is comparable to an old fashioned 50.

John

NateCrisman

Unfortunately, I'm likely not going to have the luxury to make a ton of passes to experiment without a rollbar, so it's going to be a few practice passes to figure out the 60' with the big tires then let-er-rip maybe twice.

atc250r

Staff member
HAHA!! Bounce from track to track. I always heard that Atco is pretty forgiving but that was years ago. My buddy from the Vette place always finds out about "private" track days down there where you can get a ton of passes and the roll bar rule isn't enforced.

John

thecman02

That's awesome. That should be a real terror on the track. The graveyard picture is very awesome.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned