The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 losses 100hp today.

NateCrisman

My galant went back to 14B turbo today, I should hopefully be finished up tonight. The car has been smoking for a couple weeks now, real bad on boost, and the turbo has some significant up/down shaft play. Sucks, the only turbo I have on hand is the 14b I bought to use on the yellow 1g, but I really need the car for transportation.

But I guess I can use this as an opportunity to learn a little more in prep for running a dinky turbo on the racecar this summer, collect some datalogs, and try out a few things. I guess I'm going to run at Island on Apr 23rd, next friday for a GalantVR4 meet...see if I can beat the 12.3 14b/galant record:icon_question: Should be interesting to see what the air temp and boost curve looks like.

Just need to finish up the basic re-assembly tonight, shorten the lower ic pipe to fit, and re-do the vac lines to the boost controller. I used a 6cm turbine housing with just a little bit of portwork on the inlet. (metal was SUPER hard, nearly impossible to port). Shimmed the actuator for a little preload. Basic ported 1g o2 housing I had laying around. My feelings are this is only temporary until I can find a good used 16G to swap in..then 14b can go on the talon.

Some pics:

834865315_ste6y-L.jpg

834867374_HB9YC-L.jpg

834866886_Ly4Gm-L.jpg

834865844_mnfDD-L.jpg

NateCrisman

Yeah this will be a welcome change, once I get an open center diff I might even take the car to an autox.

I always say "When you brake something, that's just an excuse to upgrade."
Enjoy the 14b while you wait on the big boy, unless cash is strapped of course.

2of9

Interesting! I want to see what the 14b can do!

turbowop

Didn't you detune your car to save your drivetrain, Spencer? Same deal with the horsepower loss, no? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting 2of9:
Interesting! I want to see what the 14b can do!

exactly my thoughts. My project in a different car for this season is getting all the 14b and 16g records for DSM: (high 10's on 14b, 9's on 16g). While the setup will be significantly different with my 1G being about 500lb lighter, more airflow mods, taking #139 to the track and getting some logs/timeslips will be a good baseline for running the talon. I'm figuring I should be able to get into the very high 11's and trap somewhere between 109 and 112mph on the stocker.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting Dbossman:
I always say "When you brake something, that's just an excuse to upgrade."
Enjoy the 14b while you wait on the big boy, unless cash is strapped of course.

Im actually unsure what Im going to do longterm with #139. I'm using it as my only daily driver car and I bought a 1g with a rollbar to run as my "racecar", so frankly, this galant is not my top priority for mods or speed. My original plan was to build the 1G for the 14b records, then swap to E3 16G for those records, then possibly swap turbochargers with the galant: putting the T3T4 on the talon and the E3 16G on the GVR4.

But now my plans are all screwed up and I need to acquire another manifold, o2 housing, and turbocharger before I can put the talon on the track. So to make that expendable cash, I may just sell the T3T4 setup with the turbo needing a rebuild to finance the cost of finishing the 1g. Realistically if I can accomplish the goal of going 9.9 on the 16g, then Im "done" anyway...as the car then needs a chute/certified cage/NHRA liscense which is beyond my budget. So I might as well just stick to the plan of 14b/16g and liquidate the T3T4 parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

Either way, it's sounds like a good track year for you. Fun at least. I'm also kind of eager to see what the 14b will do on the track.
So, is the talon 500lbs. lighter with the cage?

Last edited by a moderator:

NateCrisman

#139 should be about 2875 to 2900lb in street trim. My 1g awd will be about 2300 to 2350 with a mild steel rollbar. It's a gutted racecar.

I'm basing my guestimate for the galant/14b on what I ran in 2004 with the talon. Back then it was 3080lb with driver. On drag radials and a low 1.5 60' time I ran 11.9 @ 111. That was also with less tuning ability (vpc only) and the stock sidemount ic (stock appearing rules). #139 should have an advantage in weight/power/traction compared to the talon in 2004, so it wouldn't surprise me if I can beat the 11.9 @ 111 if I don't run into issues.

Last edited:

thecman02

Looks exciting and I'd definitely get a evo316g. Go for dsm 16g record then throw it on the galant and have decent power for street car and if your feeling bored you can set a 16g gvr4 record or something.

Olson

Quoting NateCrisman:
#139 should be about 2875 to 2900lb in street trim. My 1g awd will be about 2300 to 2350 with a mild steel rollbar. It's a gutted racecar.

I'm basing my guestimate for the galant/14b on what I ran in 2004 with the talon. Back then it was 3080lb with driver. On drag radials and a low 1.5 60' time I ran 11.9 @ 111. That was also with less tuning ability (vpc only) and the stock sidemount ic (stock appearing rules). #139 should have an advantage in weight/power/traction compared to the talon in 2004, so it wouldn't surprise me if I can beat the 11.9 @ 111 if I don't run into issues.

If i remeber right colin (sleepyvr4) had ..... a full interior?? i know he had stock suspension. not much of a car but im sure he was a little jackhammer behind the wheel to make it run like that. with ... i think 300whp

TSimage

Hey now Nate.. you weren't suppose to steal my idea lol.

Anyways, waitin on those last pieces then I can get goin'. Lemme know when I should expect them and GL with the car.

NateCrisman

Trust me dude, the last thing I wanted or needed was for the 50trim to crap the bed and necessitate using my only 14b on the everyday driver. This is making lemonade so to speak.

It should be done tonight.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

All I have to say after a 20min test drive...it feels neutered. I'v got the 14b set to 20psi and while the torque response is nearly instant, it's still super weak compared to the 50trim @ 26psi. I was thinking to myself today that "maybe the 14b won't be so bad and I'll just leave it on for a while since it's just a daily driver" but NO WAY. The car feels dead past 6000rpm, like it's falling on it's face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts