The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 goal accomplished: broke into the 10's

uncleben4rice

You are one of my heroes on this site. I too know the feeling of accomplishment (not with my Galant yet) but with another car. I sold my ten second street car two years ago and I never regret it. The car was done. I had fulfilled my desired goal and was now on to the next. What ever you decide just make sure you dont regret that decision. I sold my 1966 Corvette ten years ago and I regret that everyday.

bazeng

Very inspiring Nate!

Awesome launches and what is impressive is the reliability overall. Just a question, what gearbox are you running in your car again?

NateCrisman

The gearbox as far as I know, is a generic "stock rebuild" by TRE...a Stage 1. It's got the DSM first gear so it's not as tall as the oem GVR4 first gear thankfully. I put a welded center diff in: better traction & no chance of grenade failure.

Reliability...hahaha. The car has only been driven 554miles since I built it. Had to be towed home from track when the fuel pump died. Broke a 4bolt axle at the track the next time..barely made it home. yesterday I blew up a radiator and luckly I had a buddy there to drive back to the garage, get a spare, and go back for the GVR4. 60% of the time racing the car it has broken.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Thanks to everyone offering congrats and good will!

Honestly, one of my biggest hangups in this decision is that the GVR4 is such a different and interesting car. Every time at the track people come up to check it out wondering WTF is that? This board is awesome, everyone is generally interested and fun to talk to. While swapping to a 1g awd chassis would certainly be faster, Im not sure it will have the same satisfaction as 10 second DSM's are "dime a dozen" it seems today while GVR4's it seems there are still only 8. I think part of what makes this fun is that the car is something unique.

seems Daenan Fairburn just got bumped a spot on DSMtimes.org. MARK: you need to update, it still says 10.6!

Last edited:

Congrats on achieving your goals.

How will putting a roll bar in the car ruin it for street use? You can do a mild cage with swing outs and then add more to it later. Rear passengers can still ride in my car and I can still recline my seats (although to a certain point then they are stopped by the harness bar).

Good luck with your new goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

NateCrisman

I haven't seen any rollbar installed in a GVR4 that didn't have the main hoop going right through the open foot space of the rear passenger door. The back seats need to be totally accessible otherwise the car is no more useful than a DSM. Plus If I was going to do a rollbar, it would be stupid to not do a full halo and certified 9 second cage. The car can already go mid 10's and if I put the money into the rollbar, I would for sure upgrade the few engine parts needed to knock down some 9's. My car has sunroof so that leaves even less room for the roof halo to not interfere with.

The rollbar opens the floodgates to more engine mods, less street use, less reliability, empty pockets, and a GVR4 that sits in the driveway for 13 days in a row and goes to the track once every other week. I just don't even want to go down that avenue anymore with this car.

thecman02

Its a vicious cycle haha. Congrats on running 10's. I vote for having a very stout 16g setup that you can enjoy everyday.

Quoting NateCrisman:
I haven't seen any rollbar installed in a GVR4 that didn't have the main hoop going right through the open foot space of the rear passenger door. The back seats need to be totally accessible otherwise the car is no more useful than a DSM. Plus If I was going to do a rollbar, it would be stupid to not do a full halo and certified 9 second cage. The car can already go mid 10's and if I put the money into the rollbar, I would for sure upgrade the few engine parts needed to knock down some 9's. My car has sunroof so that leaves even less room for the roof halo to not interfere with.

The rollbar opens the floodgates to more engine mods, less street use, less reliability, empty pockets, and a GVR4 that sits in the driveway for 13 days in a row and goes to the track once every other week. I just don't even want to go down that avenue anymore with this car.

True, you would need more than a mild cage, I am retarded.

FWIW the main hoop in my car blocks a bit of foot room but one can still climb in the car and sit in an actual upright comfortable seated position, something that most adults cannot or will not attempt to do in a dsm.

charmcity

Cograts Man I was waiting to here what happened. That was a great job. I say make the car enjoyable everyday I think thats what there here for. On another note you said a 50 trim will make the car less livable on the street,How do you think an HX40 will do im a little concerned now.

thecman02

My bolt-on HX40 when I was still on a 2.0l was full spool 24psi by 3800psi. If you can't live with the 4-600 rpm delay in spool you shouldn't get it. Get the hx35 instead.

NateCrisman

Quoting charmcity:
Cograts Man I was waiting to here what happened. That was a great job. I say make the car enjoyable everyday I think thats what there here for. On another note you said a 50 trim will make the car less livable on the street,How do you think an HX40 will do im a little concerned now.

It's not so much the spool time, it's the combination of noise and vibration too. External wastegate, poly engine mounts, open downpipe, super stiff coilovers, all poly suspension bushings. All these things combined make the car seem so harsh. I think going back to rubber mounts, street shocks, internal gate turbo, and a normal 3" exhaust would calm the car down so much. And really, the e3 16g would be a better powerband 3000-7000 vs the 4000-8000 I have now. Cost is another issue, if I want to put together a track only 1g, I have to pull some $ parts off the GVR4 to pay for it.

atc250r

Staff member
I would still vote for a bolt on internally gated 50 trim. It'll make more power on pump gas than the E16G and will still be very streetable.

Congrats on the 10. I had a E316G on E85 and it was awesome I lacked self control though and it left a lot desired on the top end.
My goal is to find a GVR4 do a 2.4 and 50 trim and drive it everyday. Isn't your "50 trim" a 3052?
I can honestly say that 16G is so far the most fun I have had, maybe if u did that FP68.

Again congrats on reaching all your goals that is awesome.

charmcity

Quoting NateCrisman:
Quoting charmcity:

It's not so much the spool time, it's the combination of noise and vibration too. External wastegate, poly engine mounts, open downpipe, super stiff coilovers, all poly suspension bushings. All these things combined make the car seem so harsh. I think going back to rubber mounts, street shocks, internal gate turbo, and a normal 3" exhaust would calm the car down so much. And really, the e3 16g would be a better powerband 3000-7000 vs the 4000-8000 I have now. Cost is another issue, if I want to put together a track only 1g, I have to pull some $ parts off the GVR4 to pay for it.

That sounds about right, the little comforts you gave up do make all the difference. I will try to see how the hx40 behaves I dont know what to expect right now just building for the numbers i guess. Thanks alot Nate.

NateCrisman

Quoting Turbotalon1g:
Congrats on the 10. I had a E316G on E85 and it was awesome I lacked self control though and it left a lot desired on the top end.
My goal is to find a GVR4 do a 2.4 and 50 trim and drive it everyday. Isn't your "50 trim" a 3052?
I can honestly say that 16G is so far the most fun I have had, maybe if u did that FP68.

Again congrats on reaching all your goals that is awesome.

My 50trim is a remanufactured $400 PTE SC5031 not a $1465 FP3052. There is no way in hell I would spend $925 on any type of FP68 super 16g, when regular evo3 16g's can be had for about $250.

The only reason I can afford to do this kind of stuff is by using cheap used parts and non brand name stuff. I'm not at the point where paying 3 or 4 times the price for a turbo that might be 5% more performance makes any sense. Well, actually, I never will say that makes sense. You can always go up one more jet size on the nitrous to make up for the non FP turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's what being a DSMer at heart is all about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

Nice. Congrats! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
So what were you running the 14b in, and what was your best pass?

Nice. Congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
What were you running a 14b in, and what were you running in the 1/4??

turbowop

Quoting NateCrisman:

It's what being a DSMer at heart is all about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

For what it's worth, I paid $700 for my FP3052 and $300 for my Evo3 16g. Good deals out there to be had for sure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts