The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 goal accomplished: broke into the 10's

NateCrisman

Today was an insane rollercoaster ride with #139. I got to the shop at 9 to pick up the car and leave for the track. Tools all packed and ready to go on friday. So I get in the car, it won't start. sounds like dead battery, but it reads 12.5V. (WTF) Put on battery charger and it starts, but is vibrating. I have had a clunk sound while cranking for a while now. The vibration scared me, and I had loose flywheel bolts in the back of my mind. Last thing I need is the flywheel to blow up.

So I decide to see how fast I can do a trans job on my back in the driveway (#255 was stuck on the lift in mid-partout). Started disassembly at 9:30 and had the clutch off by 10:45. Spend about 1/2 hour staring at parts trying to figure out what's going on. With the front ear broken off the engine block, there is now only 3 bolts and one dowel holding the trans to the engine. The 3 bolts were tight, but the rear dowel (the 12mm little bolt goes through it) was all all mushroomed and deformed enough that the bellhousing was sitting low relative to the block and the flywheel was hitting a notch inside the bellhousing. . It must have not been centered the last time I tightened the trans bolts and it was crushed.

Possible VR4 was on his way to the track, so he shows up at my shop about 11:15. We decide, F it, let's try and salvage the day. I flip the existing dowel (couldn't find another one) putting the mushroom end into the trans and the clean end into the block. Benchpress the trans back in and we tag team the remaining assembly. (I make Frank pump in the gear old though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif ) The car is on the ground and running before 12:30pm. Fix a fuel leak, set fuel pressure, repack tools and we make it to the track at 1pm.

Thankfully, the track is pretty empty for the last day of the year. 2 gallons of 116 sunoco racegas, hook up extra battery to the bottle warmer, and open nitrous bottle: not even 600psi. ack go over to tech lane. Tech guy is cool, he knows car went 11.1 last time out, and has no rollbar. He advises to make a few easy passes then "run it out the back door" on your last run. But he is clear that once It goes 11.49 or better I'm done. So that's the plan.

Run one:
nitrous is turned off, I wanted to check to see what boost is set at and see if changing the vac line from compressor housing to the intake manifold helps the boost dropoff problem I was having. I left at 6600rpm and about 6psi then lifted right after the car launched. Half wanting the car to bog down, A to be sure it didn't break on first pass and B to just run wot through the gears and get a log. Seems even trying to run a slow easy pass I nearly get booted: RPM bogged down to 3500rpm in first gear while I lifted. Log says I shifter 1-2 at 7000rpm on the nose, normally I shift at 8000. I ran 2 and 3 out to 7500. 23 to 26* timing, ~28psi of boost (between 28.9 and 27.7), mid 11's AF, 0 knock. Ait temp at the line was 77*F up to 102*F at the traps.

7.144 @ 100.88 (100mph at the 1/8 whoo hoo one milestone down)
11.082 @ 125.92

MPH sure did pick up. Boost stayed consistent 28 to 27psi in every gear. SOLID boost control is finally here! Air temps seem to have improved with the new intake pipe as well. MPH is about 3mph better than previous run on the same tune even with worse driving. Also had some orange rust colored water sprayed around under hood, seems my radiator cap was leaking, so we swap with PossibleVR4's colt beater car.

link

Last edited:

turbowop

Holy sh*t. I'll read all that later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Congrats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

brisvr4

Congrats Nate. Well done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

CarRacer

Props on the big run. Sounds like you got a few problems figured out too.

atc250r

Staff member
Congrats Nate. The first video doesn't work for me here either. I wouldn't bother with an E16G at this point. Why not just get a bolt on PTE 50 trim?

NateCrisman

Mostly because if Im going to turn the GVR4 back into a real honest everyday driver and enjoy it for that, I don't want any temptation and I'd rather just have the better powerband of a 16G vs a 50trim. BTW the 1g in question is my old racecar shell. It's EXACTLY as I left it in 2006, been sitting in a garage untouched by the guy I sold it to. Now I have the chance to get it back. In the event I have that shell back, that will be my dragstrip car and #139 will be reliable transportation that is still very very fun.

Very nice man.

So did you get a visit from the track owner? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adorsey

Thats awesome Nate, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif hard work does pay off

onesickcrx

Congrats on hitting your goals very impressive year. I look foward to seeing more from you and your cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Side note it might have went rich with only 750 psi of nitrous pressure. The 950psi range is where nitrous likes to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
That car is moving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Nuff respect to you Nate. I'd say leave the turbo setup & remove the nos for daily duties on the gvr4. Once you put back some weight in it you'll be right @ the 11.50 mark so no need to worry about that. You can go balls out on the 1g racecar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

You already know what i think man.
You know the "other" factors that you must think about when trying to build TWO cars.
I say tune down the galant and build it where it is comfortably a low 12 second high 11 second street car.
Then either go for the 14b record or set your eyes on your other goal 9s.
No matter what you know better than anyone else some people aren't going to be happy with you having TWO racecars.
It was a fun day man and i'd do it all over again whenever.
I'm glad you hit your goal for the season and we both know that car had a 10 second pass in it without the juice.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2of9

wow man. I've read your build and now this. Congrats! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif It would be pretty insane to have your Galant like that as a daily driver lol. I'm loving the way my e316g is doing for me on the streets. people still think I'm on the stock 14b! lol.

KT

Nate,

Congrats on the times. It sounds as if you like a challenge.

What if you changed #139 to period specific mods only, i.e. Evo3 16G, electronics, suspension, wheels? Say parts not made after '95 or so.

I think you could have a very fun, drivable time capsule and build challenge all in one.

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Car has definitely more in her. But understand caging a street car and fighting climbing over a bar. Great way to finish out the year.

Nice times, 10.8 is no slouch especially for a run you weren't trying for. Whatever the plans just have fun with it!

Tre3zy

congrats nate this run.... read most of it and DD or racecar on your vr4 in my opinion i like to DD my car and have fun with it on track days

NateCrisman

I thought about it all night yesterday and Im now even farther away from making a decision on what to do with #139.

On one hand, I accomplished my goals and had fun building the car. I'm actually happier about the 11.0@ 126 on a 1.58 run without nitrous, that was pretty close to a clean pass other than the slightly weak 60'.

The 10.8 @ 131 is very bittersweet: while, yes, it's a 10 and I told myself to be happy with anything in the tens, it still burns my butt a little that there was so much ET left on the table due to the real slow launch. going from 1.67 to 1.47 would be 4 tenths of 1/4mile ET. So the car is capable of at least 10.4 @ 131 And that's with a 50shot jet at 700psi bottle pressure (really only like 40hp shot). If there's one thing I hate, it's unfilled potential. I definitely left a lot on the table yesterday.

Some fine tuning, a mid 1.4 launch, 75hp jets at 1000psi in the bottle, slamming the shifts at 8000: I bet the car is ultimately capable of close to a 9 second pass if I was able to keep improving on everything. But you can't make a "stars aligned" kind of pass in one or two shots while trying to skirt safety rules

One thing that makes/breaks the setup is DS-Map software not having any programable outputs. Im using the mechanical throttle switch to activate the nitrous, which really is a hassle for launching the car without spraying on the studderbox. If this was a permanant install, Id want it hooked to the upper clutch switch so the nitrous is off unless the clutch is completely up. That would allow 100% throttle launches on the studderbox and slamming shifts with the throttle down. makes the car easier to drive. Should also move to a bigger map sensor so I can target about 30psi of boost but still live with a nitrous induced boost spike up to 34-35psi.

Anyway, in the end, Im still a little uneasy with de-modding 139 knowing I didn't really get very good pass out of it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts