The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 - 14b dragstrip results <- Updated

NateCrisman

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Why not do a burnout before you stage? I found this to lower 60ft by quite a bit and since I have gone this route I never looked back.

I hit a 1.59 60ft last year on crappy all season tires which is a new personal best for me as I seemed to be stuck in the mid 1.6 area.

Im going to try that next time if I can't get it to hook up for 1.500 or better with the tires dry. I'v gone 1.48 before without any burnout on the hoosiers,but it was on a better prepped track and less tire pressure.

1qkfwd

Was there any changes to the intake setups? How was the outside temp between those two different turbos? Were in the process of trying to max out a non ported evo 3 16g right now. We are making a make shift intake for it so it can start with a cooler air charge, maybe keep the ait's down at the same time.

NateCrisman

Yes...Im pretty sure the second graph with the T3T4 was done with an open turbo with no intake pipe and the pass side headlight removed. The 14b run has a 4" pipe to the headlight - a 3-4" coupler - then a 3" pipe to the turbo inlet. Unfortunatly, I don't have a saved datalog from the last time I ran with the 50trim t3t4 and the 4" intake pipe (palm batt died before I synced it) to make a more valid comparison.

1qkfwd

Wow and to see how much help it is to run an intake tube for cooler air. If you can get that bigger housing on and get that lil 14b to spike boost a little higher, and get those tires to stick there should be no problem getting that car in the 11s. I was telling my buddy the other day that you hit a 12.1 on a 14b and hes like WTF!! We are trying to get his car into the 11s on an evo3 16g almost full weight and on drag radials. Needless to say hes a bit jealous.

NateCrisman

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the back to back comparason between next weeks 14b/7cm runs and the small16g cartridge that's going in afterward. Iv always wanted to find out for myself exactly how much the 16g compressor wheel is worth, and this is going to be the most back to back test iv ever seen

1qkfwd

I'm interested as well to see how that goes. You say small 16g but earlier you said evo3? I think it's more fun trying to get everything you can out of these little turbos. I got exhausted with the race car at one point and decided to tune a pretty much stock car.

NateCrisman

I have a bunch of small turbo setups kicking around:
14b/6cm that's on #139 right now with a stock 1g o2 housing
small 16G w/ old style 7cm housing
Evo3 16G w/ new style 7cm housing

I'v also got a few different manifolds, another E3 housing that needs some threads repaired or nut/bolt used. I'v got enough stuff around to mix/match quite a bit between my GVR4 street car and the 1G AWD Im going to put together in the next couple weeks that is dragstrip only. Once I put the small 16g cartidge on the Galant, that free's up the 14b to go on the DSM in the second E3 turbine housing. After the DSM gets it done on the 14b, it will recieve the E3 cartridge and both cars will be on 16g's (small GVR4 & E3 DSM). The GVR4 14b setup is good to get a base tune to start with for the dsm.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif confused yet?

Last edited:

1qkfwd

I was now I see the picture. Your parts pile sounds about like mine. I'm trying different grind cams even from an evo8 with whatever mix and match mitsu parts I still got kickin. I just wish there was a beter selection of 14bs around my area. I could try my luck on my old daily dsm.

AnotherNewb

you can run evo 8 cams in a galant? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

1qkfwd

In the 4g63 you can. Its not a drop in swap though. You need cam gears and to play with the firing order a little bit on a 1G. Not much for this thread but I will be doing a writeup when its said and done. It has to be an easily reproducable mod for me to do the writeup.

Wizardawd

I would think the only real difference is the intake cam is not cut for the 1g style cam sensor. But that is an easy fix. Firing order shouldn't matter. Not sure on the cam gears, but I bet they would fine as well unless mitsu changed the size of the gears themselves.

Wiz

1qkfwd

I didn't want to hijack nates thread with the cam talk so here
click

Last edited:

Wizardawd

True....so you get that 7cm housing on yet?

Wiz

NateCrisman

It's on my "to do" list for tomorrow, along with swapping my radiator for another stocker (leaking through a hairline crack on the top end tank). I took the doner hotside and o2 housing off in the same manor from the parts car just to make sure it fit around the dipstick and such...no trouble. It should take about 25 mintues to swap the turbine and o2 housings.

I still have to make a seat bracket for the race seat. That shouldn't be a big deal...just measuring and drilling holes.

Re-installing the nitrous kit....??? If I get time, Ill tackle that. If not oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

thecman02

Those are some good times. I'm gonna guess with the turbine housing/O2 an 11.7 at 114. You'll pick up most of the time if you can get deeper into the 1.5 or 1.4's.

Last edited:

1qkfwd

Don't do the nos Nate. Everyone already knows the car will go faster with nos why prove that. I say no bottle and give the all.

NateCrisman

The nitrous is honestly only if I get bored and have time to kill. You never know, the car could go 11.8 @ 114 right off the trailer like 3 runs in a row and I'm likely to just say "ok, that's really about the best it's going to get". In which case, I can throw the bottle back in the brackets and make another pass or two and see how quick a stock turbo/engine GVR4 can get booted again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

All the pita stuff is done for the nitrous kit, as I didn't take it all this spring when I changed the engine. The main feed line is still installed. Bottle brackets are still in the trunk, and the wiring for activation, relay, and bottle warmer are still in the car just zip tied out of the way.

All I really need to do:
[*] stick bottle in brackets..(still at 24.3lb..nearly full) and thread on the feed line.
[*] bolt the solenoid bracket to firewall
[*] thread the fogger into the ic pipe
[*] connect two wires from relay to battery terminals
[*] one 10mm bolt holds throttle micro switch on
[*] plug in a couple space connectors
[*] thread on and tighten a few an line fittings to tap into the fuel pressure reg for fuel supply.
[/list]
Done...instant 5+mph should I choose to use it. Why not prove that? If the car can go 11.8 on the 14b alone...that means it can go 11.3 with the small nitrous hit. Meaning theoretically, a GVR4 could take over the #2 spot on the all time 14b list! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif (sh*t, that's me anyway in the #2 spot...I'd be kicking my own ass)

Seriously though, I wouldn't spray the car until it's already ran an 11 without the bottle and I'm satisfied I can't improve it significantly.

Last edited:

1qkfwd

I don't see why you couldn't nail that 11. When is all this gonna take place. We where suppose to have a track day this weekend, once again the weather is gonna ruin everything. I guess no 9s for me.

I forget what the 14b record was, isn't it low 10s?

NateCrisman

Family stuff came up and I'm not going to be able to run on friday like originally planned, so Im going to rush it and go to Island tonight for some passes.

I got the 7cm E3 turbine housing and the punishment 2.5" o2 housing bolted in this morning, got 2/3 way don with radiator swap (just need to attach fans). found a little worn through spot on the boost controller vac line from being pinched by the intake pipe. Bent down the nipple on the WG actuator for clearance. That could explain a bit of the spikey boost response. oh yeah. the 7cm/tube o2 housing was 5.2lb lighter than the 6cm/1g o2 housing! (10.4lb to 15.6lb)

Im going back to the shop at 4pm to swap on the hoosiers, drop the exhaust, and remove the passenger front, rear seats, and 2 baby seats. I just don't have time today to make a bracket for the plastic race seat.
-38lb for exhaust system
-39lb pass front seat
-22lb top rear seat
-15lb bottom rear seat
-15lb baby seats out (7.4lb each X 2)
-05lb lighter turbine and o2 housing
-------------------------------
134lb total weight loss compared to the last time. If I had time to make the bracket...an RCI race seat would have saved another ~25lb (44.8lb stock driver sear - 19lb RCI seat)

If for some reason the car runs 12.020 I'll be absolutely kicking myself for not getting this done earlier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Nitrous instal is going to have to wait for another day. Maybe I'll bring it to the track with me and see if I can install it there during some "downtime" between runs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts