The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

139/1000 Rebuild

NateCrisman

601743301_BPGZS-L.jpg

Ok, I think today was the last day of cutting wiring. Finally!

Maybe tomorrow Ill put the dash back in and move on to mechanical assembly. Got the cruise control computer, ac stuff under the dash, and misc loose wires removed.

My wiring box topped 11lb now.

strokin4dr

Hell yeah! Keep the progress pics coming.

stealthtt24

Hey I gotta ask, how hard really was it to remove and install the dash? I would love to pick up another good condition one but just see it as a dauting task.

NateCrisman

Quoting stealthtt24:
Hey I gotta ask, how hard really was it to remove and install the dash? I would love to pick up another good condition one but just see it as a dauting task.

Well, I'v done it a few times and know where all the bolts are right off the bat. I had it out in about 20 minutes. You will need a steering wheel puller to get that loose, flat and phillips screwdriver, 10 and 12mm sockets, and alot of patience. There are quite a few electrical plugs to undo and "hidden bolts" and it helps to have a second person to lift on both sides actually getting the dash out/in after it's loose.

not really bad though. Just be careful

NateCrisman

Quoting strokin4dr:
Hell yeah! Keep the progress pics coming.

Tomorrow Ill have more pics. I'm 75% done with engine bay wiring, both chassis and engine harnesses. The engine harness is so short and hidden, I love it. I need to hit up walmart for a couple 10" long battery cables to go from the starter to the battery since it's super close, rather than using the factory wires that are way way way to long. engine compartment will be going together quite a bit tomorrow.

Goal is to have the engine started on friday. Next week goal is to have the body/interior back together and the car on the road. Leaving the week of Aug 10-14 for cleaning/detailing/tuning and setup. Maybe even take it to the track that friday night before going to the Etown Showdown race on sunday.

Ordered up two silicone couplings for the intake pipe/lower ic pipe today.
ordering a valve cover from JNZ tomorrow.

found two pita things today:
The shortest spark plug wire is too short to reach the coil when it's mounted anywhere logical (firewall, shock tower).
I forgot to order oil/coolant catch cans.

Still don't have a boost controller....GRRRRR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

NateCrisman

Some progress:

Here's what it looks like as of today=
606491614_NSz9T-L.jpg

I'm planning to start the engine tomorrow or saturday to check for leaks, make sure my wiring harness hacking didn't F up the works, and confirm that I'm ready to get onto interior/body
To-Do List:[*]IC pipe couplings will be at the post office tomorrow, fmic ad pipes go on
[*]radiator and hoses
[*]vacuum lines and fuel return line hooked up
[*]valve cover came from JNZ finishing...wrinkle red hyundia cover, needs to be bolted down with gasket
[*]some wire looming between battery and the fuse/distribution block
[*]fluids..oil/coolant/gear oil/bleed clutch/bleed brakes/power steering
[*]bolt on exhaust and tial external, make a manual boost controller
[*]driveshaft/xcase
[*]wire wideband and a temporary boost gauge
[*]Cross fingers and light up the motor.
[*] set base timing, tps adjustment. make sure all sensors are showing correctly on logger. make sure fans work.
[/list]

606491046_xjihg-L.jpg

The interior still needs to be put together. The pedals and controls are hooked up and the wiring harnesses are all back together and tucked in. Assuming the engine starts fine on friday or saturday and there are no major issues, next week's project is going to be putting the interior and exterior back together and get it on the road.

I REALLY want to be able to drive it down to Etown for the shootout race on Aug 16th. Maybe not race it, I just don't think I'm going to be on schedule to get in a T&T before then anyway.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Well, I started the engine today, it sounds mean with no exhaust and the external wastegate still stitting on the shelf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

So I know the wiring harness hacking went ok, have no fuel leaks, no oil leaks (yet), and my timing belt/head rebuild is cool.

Still a ton and half of to-do's. The interior is still as shown a few posts up, a full day's work to put that back together. Bumpers, lights, fenders, moldings, and fender liners need to go on and bumper cover brackets need to be fabed...another full day. Xcase,driveshaft, gear oil, bleed brakes, bleed clutch, bolt on wheels all needs to be done. Still a whole day of misc engine bay assembly too..fmic, pipes, intake pipe, catch cans.

But it was pretty sweet turning the key (while sitting on the metal floor) and hearing the roar of open header inside a sheetmetal garage.

This thing is going to be the most understated BEAST!
Looks almost 100% stock aside from the fmic, wheels and gauges but light as heck!

bustedsm

I plan on ripping out my interior one of these days and redoing some wiring, until then I'll just drive the car once it is finished for a few thousand miles and save some money up.

NateCrisman

Quoting ihatefall:
This thing is going to be the most understated BEAST!
Looks almost 100% stock aside from the fmic, wheels and gauges but light as heck!

I don't think you can legally say "light as heck" in a sentance referring to a GVR4. Even with ~300lb of weight loss, it will still end up weighing about the same as a 1g with just basic normal mods and no attention paid to weight loss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif I bet it will end up being right about 3000lb? without driver of course.

Its funny that you called me on that because I am always calling these cars heavy this and 2 ton that haha (I am used to lighter cars, in fact aside from the shitty maxima I owned for 3 weeks and got hit in, which lead to a $1200 profit, the gvr4 is the heaviest thing i have owned) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

NateCrisman

As of tonight, the engine/drivetrain are ready to go down the road. Just need to grab a downpipe gasket from napa and figure out what Im going to do for oil/coolant catch cans tomorrow. Then I need to put the interior together as well as the bumper covers, front lights, grill, and fender moldings.

I bought a JMFab coil mount bracket, and spent about 4 hours fighting with it yesterday. It was wicked hard to get on with the alternator, intake manifold, and jackshaft all in the way. Spent about 4 hours in that alone.

Still some final details to deal with but I think Im going to be able to make it to the Etown Shootout with the car next weekend. I'm hoping to be driving it around this weekend and spend next week cleaning, fixing details, and working on the tuning & setup.

snapped a few pics of the finished engine bay:

611429908_7RLT5-L.jpg

611420552_TbxLF-L.jpg

611427154_xqWgv-L.jpg

611424656_3Xmb5-L.jpg

The car so needs coilovers, it's got more than a full vertical hand of wheel to fender gap in the back even with H&R lowering springs! Ever see an awd dsm with positive camber in the back? hahaha
611422417_iifYC-L.jpg

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Yes, my plan is to finish up the body/interior stuff tomorrow. Drive it this week doing setup and tuning work. I'd like to run the car Friday night at island dragway, to test it out and figure out launch rpm & tune.

If everything works out, I'll race at etown on Sunday, I guess in the street 16 class? I'm pretty sure I'd get killed regardless of how the car runs since it's got no safety equipment and thus is limited to 11.50 or slower. And that's putting aside the point that it's going to take a bit of setup and tuning to get it running up to potential so maybe not even qualify if it's going 12's or something. who knows.

Frankly, Im more interested in driving the car to/from the track, making a couple passes, and most importantly:
Getting it on the scale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

NateCrisman

yeah, it would, I agree.

This engine came from a low mileage dsm, the grey covers were in excelent shape. no cuts around the crank pully or water pump, no reason not to use it other than color. The only black case I had came off #828 (parts car) and it was demolished, cracked, and cut through in a few spots. Guess it's one of those things that Im not willing to spend $100 just to change the color, especially when the car needs some functional parts first (coilovers, tires, exhaust)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned