The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

$12.99+S&H eBay special DSM short shifter - it can be done

The eBay special. Woe for some, glory for others. Right here , on sale is a "89-94 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE / EAGLE TALON SHORT SHIFTER" for the low, low price of $3.99 (plus $15 in shipping). I actually paid nearly thrteen dollars for mine, so ACT NOW and you can ride the cheap train to AMATEUR TOWN. (Notice that the application is listed for various Hondas later in the link.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif).

Welder? Check.
Drill press? Check.
Various cutting and grinding rotary implements? Check.
Hours to spend in the interest of saving a little cheese? Double check.

For those of you with spare aluminum and a decent milling machine, you already know where this doesn't go, and you are invited to click your browser's back button at this time. Sadly, I am among the low life scum without such luxuries, as are many of us sad pseudo-Diamond Star tweakers.

As a forewarning, I don't have my camera, so visual documentation of the impending butchery will have to wait. Come to think of it, 150 lines of semi-cogerent text aren't much help to anyone, so I'll just wait to do the write-up until I get photos. Suffice it to say, the job can be done with a satisfactory result. All you need is a welder, a drill press, various rotary cutters/grinders, a hacksaw, standard hand tools and an acetylene torch! Hidden in the last statement is a warning; don't try it unless you have 60% of the means to make this part from scratch! That's exactly what I had, and soon you can see how I did it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Catch you later, and sorry for the boner kill! I'm really bored at work!

Quote:
Those shifters are junk and don't have shift stops.

Exactly right! The shift stop is one of the myriad parts you can cut off of your stock shifter and weld to your new one. Why buy new, when slightly used will do?

Thats a lot of work for not a lot of gain. I just put a free stock 1g shifter and boot in mine.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting akuma10408:
Quote:
Those shifters are junk and don't have shift stops.

Exactly right! The shift stop is one of the myriad parts you can cut off of your stock shifter and weld to your new one. Why buy new, when slightly used will do?

Except, when the deals are this good...

Finally got some pictures taken.

Beginning with the upper shift arm:

The hole had to be bored out to accept the stock bushings and arm from the lower section. I started with a smaller bit, and worked up to a 5/8" diameter, IIRC. In its unmodified form, the hole was barely big enough to fit the arm alone.

Edit- Well this is fantastic, the pics won't upload. I'll keep working on it, but until then you just get text. Its kind of a PITA mod anyway.

The very bottom of the lower arm does not clear the shiter base when installed. First, I started by grinding as much as possible from the bottom of the arm itself. The unmodified arm bottme is squared off; mine now has a rounded end. I ground so much off that the pin, which was press-fit in, came loose. I took the opportunity to rotate it so the cotter pin would runfront-to-back instead of top-to-bottom. The pin would have contacted the shifter base otherwise. I welded it back on, and re-ground the weld for clearance.

After this, it still would not clear, so the shifter base itself had to be modified. I used an acetylene torch and a bur bit to make a long hole along the length of the arm action. I also removed some material from the lower arm support to allow the slightly longer-than-stock lower arm to clear it.

The unmodified pin has the cotter pin hole further from the arm than the stock arm. I used a rubber plumbing piece as a small spacer.

The upper arm does not have shift stops, but the stock arm does. I have yet to perform this step, but the stock stop can be removed with a hacksaw and welded to the uppper arm in the same position.

Still with me? No? I'm going to keep going anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Onto the lower arm:

The hole for the long bolt which the arm rides on is again too small. IIRC, a 5/8" again allows the hole to accept the stock bushings,spacer and bolt. It also allows the use of the stock helper spring, which centers the shifter in the neutral position. However, the unmodified eGay shifter has no finger. Fortunately, the stock one does. I cut it off with a hacksaw, ground it to fit and welded it on. Nice!

The bottom finger of the unmodified lower arm is too small to accept the stock bushing which allow the side-to-side action of the shifter. Again, cut it off and weld on the stock piece. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif - Eeeyyy!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

turbophein

this is funny, my car has what looks exactly like those pics... i couldn't figure out who made it. mine has stops but only going left to right not up and down into gear... came installed with the car when i bought it.

SSPX0440.jpg

SSPX0441.jpg

SSPX0442.jpg

^ Thats almost exactly it! It looks like yours works without including the stock upper arm bushings. I didn't even try to not use them, but if it works ok for you then that's one step eliminated from getting it to work! Nice! Either that or mine was simply labeled wrong, which is honestly pretty likely.

The finger which the helper spring rests on is included on your setup, which is nice to see. I had to cut off the stock one and weld it onto the new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Now that I think about it some more, I probably got one for the wrong car by mistake. For sure, it was listed as a 1G DSM shifter, but hey, its eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoodoo

That sounds like soooooo much more work than what I do to the 3kgt shifters. Every once in a while one will pop up on ebay for under $20. I'm sure the throw is better and it works fine and congratulations on getting the job done. Keep trying to get pictures up. I'd like to see how it turned out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts