The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

12:54 - Restate my assumptions

broxma

One consideration for all of this is availability. I already have the turbo since I replaced the stock one on my Evo with a Evo IX turbo. I got the 10.5 hotside from Hudspeth auto off ebay for 22 dollars. I will either pick up a Ebay SS manifold or use the DNP manifold I already have. I also already have a SS O2 Housing which I can modify if need be. Given that I already have the most expensive components, and the custom work will not cost me anything, I can see no reason not to do it. One good aspect of the swap will be the direction of the compressor outlet will change and I won't have to bring it over top of the manifold. It will just shoot off towards the drivers side of the car from the bottom.

Since I already have a turbo setup for the car, I am not forced to do this over the course of a day or two and can focus on the aesthetics a bit more which is of some importance to me. I've already contacted my machinist and welding contacts and they are on board for it. I believe that the engine parts at the machine shop will be in my possession tomorrow which gives me a few days before the weekend to get the car ready to go down to the shop.

If nothing else, I'd like to see exactly how difficult it is to do this. From my past experience building complete custom cars and fabrication, I just don't see the obstacles as very difficult to hurdle.

/brox

RedTwo

Can you grind off the locating pins on the housings and clock the center section until it lines up with the factory lines?
I've seen one VR4 with a TD05HR before, it could be quite popular as these turbos go for stupid cheap prices!

broxma

I assume I will have to reclock the cartridge. The pins used to just pull out but regardless I'll have to get the oil return at least within 15 degrees of vertical, hopefully pointed towards the block a bit. I will most likely machine and aluminum block to fit on the pan and one for the bottom of the turbo and run a SS -1 AN line instead of using a modified factory return line.

The water lines, not worried. One they are not very high pressure and two I know they can be replaced with hose and clamped on to flared cut factory lines. The oil feed will be a simple SS line from the factory outlet on the head.

Since I will have the motor mostly built before it goes back into the car, I am going to take some measurements as soon as the head is back on. If I can find a way to not flip the turbo and leave the O2 exit in roughly the same location, that might mean I need only a custom intake and some minor work to the DP. I am not opposed to relocating the PS pump if it is an issue either. There are plenty of places on the block that I could relocate the PS pump, namely where the Alternator used to be. I think dropping the pump would give the turbo compressor side enough clearance to bolt up. Then its just a custom DP and lines. That would be the most simple solution.

/brox

prove_it

Pics please! I hope it's still coming along well.

broxma

It just started actually. I got the parts to rebuild the fuel pump unit today. The head and pistons are back from the machine shop tomorrow. Next week I will be putting the car back together since it is my spring break. If you have seen my other build post, you know that this one will be inundated with photos as well.

/brox

broxma

Ya lost me.

Overly complex mechanism to perform a simple action? That Goldberg?

We are still doing this, but not on my car. I am going with a bigger turbo however I am donating my Evo Turbo to the person who is letting me fab this thing up. He doesn't know it yet, but he will.

/brox

broxma

It's fantastic. Ask Steve. I took him for a ride the other day. He was all smiling all over 1604. I went up to the shop and figured out my stalling issue and relocated the BOV to the top of the pipe. Now I'm just waiting to get the abrasive blast cabinet in from HF so I can blast the Evo9 wheels, rubber, brakes, other non-essentials. But it's great. Needs a tune which I'll take care of eventually.

/brox

broxma

Don't laugh sunshine. You're most likely my sucker. I'll donate the Evo turbo.

/brox

broxma

I'm thinking about going to Willies tomorrow with the Subaru homo's so I can show them what 1/6 the cost of their cars can actually get them. I'm going to try and convince HeyHey to drive the Evo up there so I can pull on her on 1604.

Post is off topic. I'll call you tomorrow.

Once my personal car is up with the new turbo/IC/WG setup I'll be working on this project. In the mean time, I have brought Jay, the greatest TIG welder I know over to have a look see at the situation and we have decided it is not going to be that difficult. Since he'll be doing all the fab work I figured it imperative he know the score. I'm just working the design aspect.

/brox

524of1000

Dude, I will so call in sick to help do that!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned