The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1101 rebuild thread. 4/8/13 FMIC up by A/C condenser.

EgonOlsen

Gas? I always thought the purely ran on good wishes?
Could be my problem then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good job mate, you will be cruising in no time now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boostedinaz

Quoting turbowop:
Better put some gas in that tank!

When I first tried to start it I didn't even notice it was out of gas. I grabbed what was left in my lawn mower canister and that was at least enough to get it started. My first drive will be to the gas station for sure.

DR1665

Cheers, mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

And Dale might make INO this month? Now I gotta make it out. Could be as many as FOUR GVR4s in the same place at the same time for once.

boostedinaz

Thank dood.

You have to make it out since I'll have your shirt. Yeah Dale keeps saying to bug him about so I will.

boostedinaz

Thanks. You should try and make it out to the DSM meet next week. We could make it 5 running GVR4s at once.

There must be a glitch in the matrix today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

PreskitVR4

Quoting DR1665:
Cheers, mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

And Dale might make INO this month? Now I gotta make it out. Could be as many as FOUR GVR4s in the same place at the same time for once.

Running is used in a very loose term for 501 right now. I eff't the cam timing after nuking an HG on the dyno, haven't had the time to fix after an all night thrash to fox the car for a 150 mile trip home. Sounds like HUGE cams right now, runs fine, lacks the low end power that I think a built motor and 4g61 head should have, but EMS is sooo close to reality, I just wanna tear it apart and do it all at once. I'll be there, budget willing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boostedinaz

YES!!!!! Got to drive her tonight for the first time in 3 years.

Found my clutch problem yesterday. In my mad rush to finish the car I never noticed how out of adjustment the clutch fork was. Tonight Mike came over and in a thrash we pulled the tranny (twice) and shimmed the ball (twice). The clutch felt really good so I took the maiden voyage around the block.

Tomorrow I'll wash her the best I can and tie up a few lose ends then it's off to our monthly DSM meet.

boostedinaz

Thanks that type of feed back is what makes all the extra work worth it.

Once I get some miles under my belt I'll start the fixing up the exterior of the car the best I can.

boostedinaz

Finally got to drive the car for awhile last night. It was a bit of a rush to get it going but I got the brakes bled, belt squeal fixed, and the last few cavuum leaks fixed.

The car drives REALLY well. It pulls clean and runs smooth but I do have a few small leaks I have to address. It was very exciting to have driven the car again after so long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Michael Im very happy to see you were able to finish what i could not. I hope she gives you many years of fun and save reliable driving and again thanks for all you did for me while I had the car. I hope I will be able to get another one some day and not have to call on you too munch in the future thanks again . Also I have the original o2 sensor and the dipstick and of course yout engine stand all of wich when I can I will bring them to you

Specter

Congrats to you bro! After all that hard work, its great to get that feeling when your driving around the block, stopping at that red light, noticing those rpms, and the smoothness of it all, a nice relaxing drive at the highway..it all comes together to let you know it was worth it.

boostedinaz

Quoting Drdamm21:
Michael Im very happy to see you were able to finish what i could not. I hope she gives you many years of fun and save reliable driving and again thanks for all you did for me while I had the car. I hope I will be able to get another one some day and not have to call on you too munch in the future thanks again . Also I have the original o2 sensor and the dipstick and of course yout engine stand all of wich when I can I will bring them to you

Thanks Isaac. It was a pretty big project and took a good amount of time even for myself. My wife was pretty excited about me finally being able to drive it this weekend and even my son remembers the car. He thinks the sunroof is awesome, "can I get in the car through that hole in the roof Daddy?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

If you do get another one I am always around and willing to help. I almost forgot about that stuff. I could really use that engine stand pretty soon so just let me know what works for you.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Did a few more things to 1101 over the last month or so. I got a new job at Precision Chassis Works and on my first day I had to take a freeway ramp that was a long left hand turn. During this turn the worn out wheels bearing on the right front corner made a TERRIBLE noise. I decided to finally to swap out the front wheel bearing parts I bought a few months earlier. Finally after a messed up spindle and weeks worth of time 1101 had new front ball joints and wheel bearings. The ride how was soooo quiet I was in shock. The only down side is that the side with the bad wheel bearing ate a tire for lunch. On the good side I am going to look form some used EVO VIII wheels to put on.

In the last week or so I have also fixed a few more little things on the car. The A/C use to work amazing but the old owner was unaware that you could take the engine out without disconnecting the A/C. Since my wife has been driving 1101 she has been getting more frustrated with the AZ summer and lack of A/C. I trouble shot the problems and found the A/C compressor was crap. Got one from Driggs (Dr1665) and with some helpful insight I decided to change out all the seals and receiver/dryer. Unfortunately during the process (at midnight) I was rushing and ended up munching a hard line. I decided to hit up a junk yard for a replacement part.

This ended up being a damn good trip. Mike (#3) picked me up and we hit up our local junk yard and found some good stuff. I found an ABS delete kit (cost 15.00 bucks yeah buddy), the A/C line I needed, as well as some chrome door handles, random bolts, sway bar end links, and some wiring plugs I needed. Mike got some 93 headlights and a few odds and ends he needed.

I spent most of a day installing the plugs and my 5 year old son installed the end links. I also put in the new A/C line and after few hours 1101 had A/C and was running better than ever. Mike came over today and waxed and polished my carbon hood (that I hate) and made me hate it less than before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Finally 1101 is back to what I remember it as (a nice comfortable daily driver) and hopefully I can make it better. I have an EVO front mount for it and want to make intercooler piping for it along with an intake, battery relocation, and exhaust. If I can get all that done by my birthday in Sep I would be stoked.

DR1665

Whiird. There's probably not much left to that white car at the yard these days. My buddy snagged the hood, fenders, bumper and a bunch of other exterior sheetmetal for his rally car. Push comes to shove, Ecology down there had another white one. It's been a couple months since I was out, but it was nice seeing a pair of 6G Galants when I went.

boostedinaz

Finally got something I have always wanted for 1101....EVO wheels. I think they look really good and have the perfect specs for our cars. I picked these up from Dale (PreskitVR4) for a great price and couldn't be any more happy. They have changed the over look and feel of the car. I gotta put a little more camber in the front to tuck them but they are already a HUGE improvement from my old wheels.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts