The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1101 rebuild thread. 4/8/13 FMIC up by A/C condenser.

boostedinaz

I have always had regrets after selling 1101 a few years back. It was a great solid car and was clean. Over the years it passed through a few hands and I found the current owner here on the the ORG. He was making a good effort to get it back to it's former glory but sadly sometimes life happens and he had to sell. Luckily I am in a position to buy it back and will be picking it up tonight. I am very excited about this because it was the "family" car we bought when we had our son.

My plans for now are to get it up and running again and clean it up as much as possible. After we finally find a house and I have space to really work on it again I plan on bringing it back in a great way. I will get some pics tonight when I pick it up and might even start the slowest build thread ever.

I already order my trunk mounted solar panels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

JSchleim18

Very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I was wondering why you're looking for a 4G63 again

DR1665

Bad. Ass.

Donor Loaner Engine is yours when/if you need it. I'll be in Carefree this weekend practicing for the Shootout the following weekend. Calendar is pretty much open otherwise if you want to roll by. (Won't fit in the back of the Juke and Vanessa wouldn't let me try if I asked nice!)

boostedinaz

Very much appreciated. Hoping I can find one that I can just drop in and go so I can keep the engine swap to a minimum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

boostedinaz

We'll after almost two years 1101 is mine again. I'm going on vacation for a few days but when I get back I will be trying to get her back on the road as quickly as possible. Some before and after pics.

Before....

The day I sold it.

and tonight as I picked it up.

PreskitVR4

Hurray!!! Congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif I remember seeing 1101 several years ago in Preskit for the Rally, I remember how good it felt when 501 came back home, nowhere near the same condition it left in... Ya is pretty much the same story.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Haha that's so cool how things work out that way. Consider yourself lucky man, it's not everyday you sell yoour car and get it back again.

DR1665

Well, at least the wheels are an improvement, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

boostedinaz

Finally got vacation and a hectic week out of the way now it'stime to focus on 1101.

Found a motor that I should be picking up next weekend. In the mean time I really want to take inventory of what I have and what I need as well as clean the car up. I plan on working from the inside out starting with the seats and carpet to get those really clean and conditioned. From there I'll move my way to the engine bay, trunk, an then to parts like the tranny, axles, etc... I forsee a lot of Simple Green, old tooth brushes, and cursing in my future.

cheekychimp

Quoting boostedinaz:
I will get some pics tonight when I pick it up and might even start the slowest build thread ever.

Mate, you will need to go some. Mine is 5 years and counting.

boostedinaz

Okay, you got me there.

For now I just want to get it up and running as a daily. My next decision is when I want to tear it all the way down and do it correctly. That project will take much longer for sure.

boostedinaz

Got a decent amount of work done last night and today. Started by pulling the seats, then the console, and the finally the carpet. The center console was a bit of a pain in the ass but once I found the last few screws it came right out. The carpet it self was cake to pull out but was gross.

I took the carpet to a local self wash and blew through 10.00 in quarters cleaning the carpet and floor mats. I did find out why the interior smelled like oil and poop....I'm pretty sure I cleaned a quart of oil and possible some poop out of the carpet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I got most of the stains out of the carpet but will hit it with some stuff I bought called Folex. Supposedly it kicks ass so we'll see what it can do with the stains that are left.

From here I'm going to wipe all the interior sheet metal, wipe down all the interior trim pieces, dash, and condition the seats. I'm also going to try and get the rest of the stains out of the carpet once it dries. Hope fully it will get rid of the weird smell and bring back the classic GVR4 crusty leather smell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Right after I took the seats out.

A quick vacuum and clean up.

Console out.

Carpet out.

Dirty carpet.

First round of clean up. Just a good power wash.

ktmrider

Great to see Michael! Making me envious, I would love another GVR4 project.

BTW you can use the Boomerang title as #86 seems to be staying put with the latest owner.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Progress looks great, Micheal!

Looks like 1101 will be returning to it's former glory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting ktmrider:
I would love another GVR4 project.

... what's stopping you, other than common sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

PreskitVR4

Michael, anything you need, lemme know. Nothing is sacred at this point, the pics dont do it justice. I'm only an hour away... Well, maybe two, you on the east side!
-Dale

boostedinaz

Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement and am going to need it for the next step of the process. I gotta clean the engine bay, maybe do an ABS delete now that it has a 5 lug swap, and of course get a motor in it.

Dale I just might need somethings. I gotta see where the car is mechanically this week. PM me your number if you don't mind. For now I'll just take the CE28s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

boostedinaz

Made some more progress of the last few weeks. The biggest thing is I got a motor with some help from my Son. Shorty after I got it torn down for cleaning.

I also took inventory to see what I did and didn't have. Big parts were easy the nuts and bolts will be a bit harder.

I fixed the torn CV boots and even did a writer up.

How to fix a torn CV boot

I also started cleaning the block, tranny, intake, tcase..basically anything that is really freakin' gross so I can paint them. I only got a before picture of the tranny but I'm sure everyone here has seen disgusting 4G parts.

Tonight I'll get some pics after the cleaning but before paint. I now have a dead line I have to meet so hopefully I can get it accomplished before then.

boostedinaz

Got some parts cleaned today. Slowly making progress.

Tranny

14b

Filthy intake and OFH.

Clean intake and OFH.

Cleaner tcase.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts