The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1000 hp build for 100/2000

Iceman

I'm beginning to build a motor I have laying around for my GVR4. Here are my thoughts... also aquariumopen for suggestions.

4G63t 2.3L stroker short block
Manley 9.0:1 (.040) 86mm pistons
Manley H-beam rods
clevite main and rod bearings
Eagle 100mm stroker crankshaft
The block is o-ringed and balance shafts removed with AMS balance shaft eliminator kit.
Kiggly racing main girdle
Crowley 288 cams
AEM Adjustable cam gears
Precision 6266 turbo

EMX5636

And I wouldn't recommend really any H-beam rod for 1000HP. Go straight to aluminum, or Pauter etc.

BadVr4

x2, those rods probably wont hold anywhere near that power. go with aluminum for an all out race car, or an i or x beam steel rod for a street/race car

AnotherNewb

What did I miss in this thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Could have sworn there was twice as many posts a few days ago

LIV4PSI

There are two theads, other one is in the technical forum

Olson

I'm thinking he hasn't learned anything from the tech form he posted in ....

prove_it

He's open to suggestions, only if it's suggestions that stroke his ego. Give him a reality check and he gets pissed.

transparentdsm

well it is his first time on the site so its bound to happen, he needs to toughen up that skin a little bit to keep hanging around these parts.

prove_it

Indeed.

"MOM!, they are making fun of me on the internet again!"

transparentdsm

hahah also hes a little short on parts, like what are the plans with the head? valves, springs and all that good stuff. there are a lot of key components he hasn't even mentioned. injectors maybe...

BogusSVO

I have built 1 head that caps off a 1000hp engine. So I have a good idea what is needed there. None of it is cheap.

Now what is in the bottom end, or what turbo, or what supporting mods were/are used. I can not say, except a custom intake with a set up of 2 injectors per cylinder.

It was at the shootout 2013, but due to a Tcase failure on one pass, then a trans fail on the next, seems like more money is needed.

I will agree that the manley H beams will not be up to the test, they are rated at 150hp per rod, so 600hp is the break point.

More strength is needed in the rod and piston combo.
Several brands have been mentioned in this thread, and there are a few others that would be up to the task.

I would add $1000 for a set of custom pistons, made to your specs or that of your builder, there is some good room to improve on the basic 63DT piston that most of the aftermarket has copied into a forged version.

prove_it

It's not just the engine and trans though. You gotta address the suspension, the brakes, the axles, the rear diff, the tires, Oh lordy lordy. It goes deep. really really deep. Now if it's only for a dyno queen, ego stroking, brag factor build, then sure that stuff doesn't matter as much.

Here's my price estimate to get 1k whp to the ground and drivable.

Engine: 5000 in parts and machine work.
Trans: 3000 in build/parts
Tcase/driveline: 1000 in axles, tcase, diff, axles
suspension(neg) 1200 coilovers
Restoring GVR4 500 in bushings, arms, paint, new bolts, tie rods, worn out parts, etc (might be low)
Brakes 800 for brakes that will PROPERLY stop a car with that power
Tires 1200 pending on how many sets before a good set is found
front mount 600 ETS kit, hopefully big enough
Fuel system 1000 Solid pump, will be huge, I'm sure it's a low estimate since injectors will be 500-800.
Ignition system 400 New stuff should work, but 20 old parts will fail
Cooling System 500 Big radiator, silicone hoses,
Turbo/manifold 2400 Big ol turbo and custom manifold.
Tuning said beast 1000 Takes hours, not minutes of an experienced tuner's time. Good tuner=big money, Cheap tuner=big money to rebuild blown engine

hmm lets see 18600 so far just bench building. I could be off, but I think I'm close. Worst part is that any build will have little things pop up and everyone knows that that adds up.

Sure you could bare bones the car, do nothing but ebay crap or shortcut things, but then your in a death trap, risking your life and others. Also what's the point of making 1k hp in a car that looks bad. Even a dyno queen will cost well into the thousands of dollars.

manikbastrd

I think your estimate on the ETS kit is a little low. The standard GVR4 kit runs almost a grand (900) and only supports 650 range according to ETS, Also the 2400 for a turbo and custom manifold is probably low. A good BB turbo big enough for that goal is probably gonna run you that much alone. But the point is well taken that it's a 20K$ build for sure. I was just talking with Myles at English the other day and the EVO they are building for TX2k14 is 20K$++++ and is supposed to be in that range of power...then again that's an evo so there is a bit of a ricer-tax on it hahaha

G

Staff member
No response by op, trolled.

EMX5636

Quoting prove_it:

Trans: 3000 in build/parts
Tcase/driveline: 1000 in axles, tcase, diff, axles

I think the biggest understatements in this list are the trans/tcase and driveline. Any stock 3/4 gears (yes even Evo3) usually give up the ghost somewhere in the 650whp mark. Any dogbox gearset is going to run you 5K+ plus assembly. A Shep 300M t-case is over $1,000 by itself last I looked, plus a set of axles at least in the rear, maybe front as well will put you into the 3-4K territory.

But yes, I do think we've been trolled... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

My prices reflect diy and used stuff.

I don't get the point of trolling.

trolls:

Get a life.

Wookalar

Quoting prove_it:
?.....
Restoring GVR4 500 in bushings, arms, paint, new bolts, tie rods, worn out parts, etc (might be low)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Add a zero onto that figure for sure, it's definitely low. No one can do all of that for 500 even if they paint the car and do all the work themself. The materials and tools for paint, and then all your listed parts eclipse the 500 mark by 10 fold if one goes to a reputable body shop. Unless I am misunderstanding what your definition of "paint" is.

The subframe bushings are over 50 bucks, control arms and ball joints over 100, rack rebuild w new tie rods, over 100, bushings for rack and control arms are about 100.

transparentdsm

his prices reflect the fact that he, like most of us on here, does the work himself. i just redid all my front end bushings, bearings, endlinks and tierods and the parts cost me a little over 200$ and the rear is cheaper to do. ill prolly get away with 175-180 for the rear bushings and such.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned