The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

100 amp fuse

rost

My alternator wasnt charging the battery(12.5 volts on the terminals) and i noticed the windows and a/c didnt work either.So i started checking all the fuses and noticed 100amp fusible link was blown.I replaced it,went to hook the battery back up and it blows the fuse right away without me even starting the car.Now i know my alternator is bad,but is it possible its shorted and is blowing the fuse without even starting the car?Just curious and hoping i dont have something more serious than an alternator.

steve

I replaced my alternator once and the new one had the "posts" reversed compared to the old one, IIRC. Or I just royally F'ed up and hooked it up backwards but I'm pretty sure I didn't. I was blowing that fusible link as well, not sure if it happened when trying to start, or even before that. Did you do anything or did this just start out of nowhere?

rost

Just came out of nowhere,i knew my alternator was toast.But i had to move the car.I moved it once,and it was ok.But when i moved it back,thats when it happened.Didnt touch anything....

steve

Well since you already knew the alt was bad, replace it and see where things go from there.

rgeier11

I had a bad alternator that would blow that fuse all the time. Same exact problem. I replaced the alternator and no more blown fuses. Have your alternator checked at Autozone before buying a new one though just to make sure.

rost

It turned out to be the alternator that blew my 100amp fuse.Replaced it with a used alternator,and the car ran great.Drove it around for couple of hours doing chores,then on the way home decided to do a pull.I was in a second gear,and all of the sudden i noticed my headlight dimmed for a split second.Got home,checked voltage and it was reading 12.9 ....I guess i fried another alternator,im so tired of this freaking problem.I dont know if its because of the dump pipe,or just a bad location in a first place.But its becoming very annoying,its not even worth it anymore.I love the car when it runs,but everytime something breaks,i just feel like i need to sell it.

broxma

You haven't done a Battery relocation and fused the wrong wire by chance? I have thus far counted the most common reasons for blowing the large fuse to the battery as either a wrongly fused wire or a short on the block itself. I was blowing the same fuse and it turned out to be a smashed wire to my COP was shorting on the valve cover. Steve relocated his battery and fused the main line from the trunk, at which point I quickly deduced the amp draw of the starter is much higher than 100amps. This main line fuse also meant the all power was going both back and forth through the fuse.

If you have a fairly factory wiring situation, I would look for a frayed wire on the motor.

/brox

rost

The battery is relocated from its stock position,but i left it inside the engine bay.So it is fairly stock.Weird thing happened yesterday.I parked the car,and in about an hour i had to go to my friends house.So i decided to check the voltage again,and it was charging fine,reading about 14.7...So i decided to take a risk and drive the car to his house,wich is about 35 minutes away.Hooked up my laptop to the link,and the voltage was fine,the lowest it dropped was 13.9,with the headlight and foglights on.Same thing on the way back home,14.1-14.7 volts...
I have no idea what happened when i was doing a pull,maybe the alternator overheated and temporary stopped working.I was doing some pulls on the way to my friends house,and everything was perfect...so ill just keep my fingers crossed for now.I love the car when it runs without the glitches,so hopefully it will last for some time:)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned