The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pondering valve cover internal design

curtis

Started thinking about this after modifying a LT1 cover for a local. The covers were tall and were built so you couldn't run the alternator in the stock location on his application. (for you guys that never messed with LT1's the rear of the alternator hangs over the little short in height valve covers).
So I cut off about 2 inches from the front and welded a new piece on. Everything's good now but what I'm pondering is what they had built on the inside. This had a fitting in the rear and inside had a 1/4 inch, thick wall aluminum tube that went from the rear forward then off of that had 4 short pieces running up and down. Each of these were welded shut at the ends but about half way up had small like .01 holes at the 2 and 10 o'clock position to spray on the rockers or I'm guessing the top of the valve stem at the rocker. On the outside it also had a brass oil restrictor that was a 1/4 npt that was threaded down in there. He picked these up for $100 off of craigslist from a guy in Nashville so no telling what they were on maybe a dry sump setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif He's just leaving it as is for a breather. Kind of a waste as a breather because I really bet these were 600 or 700 new in the box and these were new as well and never had oil on them.

Now maybe on the 4g63 a tube running down one side of the spark plug hole area and then around and back down the other with a system of holes around on top could work as an advantage to keep the catch cans empty. Even pondered on a tube in a tube situation.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this done properly? Damn I should have taken pictures before he picked them up, I really need to take more picture of stuff like this I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Probably couldn't have got a close up shot of the oil holes because they were nitrous spray bar sized.

jepherz

Staff member
Raise your hand if you have a running car to put a valve cover on first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

1990ggsxnj

One JSB, One I'm driving now.. soooo I'll just raise a finger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rausch

Anywho......

Curtis: You talking yank the baffles, install tubey guys, ???, profit?

Or are you suggesting leaving the baffles in place (where applicable) and working around the current design?

1990ggsxnj

Quoting curtis:

Now maybe on the 4g63 a tube running down one side of the spark plug hole area and then around and back down the other with a system of holes around on top could work as an advantage to keep the catch cans empty. Even pondered on a tube in a tube situation.

So the catch can would actually flow back into the valve cover through a series of tubes/single tube with small holes?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned