The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FIAV bypass, EGR removal running vacuum lines.

socalgvr4

I pulled the throttle body of my other 4g63t today,

and needed to know a couple of things.

1) If i use a FIAV bypass plate...do I STILL need to run the water lines through the TB?

2) EGR -- If i block it, the total number of vacuum lines going to it is effectively 0 which fine...does anyone have a vacuum diagram of an eliminated EGR?

3) The thermo-valve -- can i block this or does it still need an input from the throttle body?

IncorpoRatedX

1) If i use a FIAV bypass plate...do I STILL need to run the water lines through the TB?

is this a drag car? if not, dont block it off. it's up to you, but whatever, if you do, there's no lines needing to be ran to the TB.

2) EGR -- If i block it, the total number of vacuum lines going to it is effectively 0 which fine...does anyone have a vacuum diagram of an eliminated EGR?

still need vac lines for the FPR, BOV and WG, outside of that, nothing.

3) The thermo-valve -- can i block this or does it still need an input from the throttle body?

no input from me, stock sh*t works fine on a car that doesnt run sub 10 second 1/4 miles.

Terry Posten

Answer to #1 - No

Answer to #2 -

Answer to #3 - Just abandon it. If you want to look pretty, get a brass plug.

Terry Posten

You may have beat me to the reply Josh, but my post has picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting Terry Posten:
You may have beat me to the reply Josh, but my post has picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

indeed and we all know a thread is completely worthless without pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif especially in the n00b section.

KiNgMaRtY

I ditched mine on the previous VR-4 due to idling problems. Just make sure to get one the does not bock off the ISC as well, just the FIAV

boostedinaz

^^^^

Correct you can block off can either block off the entire lower portion of the TB or just the FIAV section. I HATE HATE HATE unsteady idle so I only blocked of the FIAV portion of the TB leaving the ISC to control idle.

socalgvr4

Very cool.

Just got new gaskets for TB, and will give it a shot.

I too absolutely hate F'd up idle issues. -- and for those wondering all of this was detected with Dsmlink. Im a huge fan now.

Terry Posten

JBweld. The heavy duty stuff.

I used wide clear packing tape and made passage block-offs and then let sit 24 hours to fully cure

Then just reinstalled with a new rubber gasket.

Last edited:

Barnes

Terry, why did you remove the freeze plug out the back and fill it with JB weld? If you JB weld the passages on the top, you don't need to do anything else.

Terry Posten

I wanted to clean it really well as it was a junk TB that I got as spare parts and was NASTY.

I just went to town on striping it down and that is what I ended up with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And after you do this do I just disconnect the little solenoids or leave them?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned