The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to tell if the center diff is welded

AnotherNewb

Okay, I bought a 1g Talon and while I was loading it on a 2 wheeled dolly and while unbolting the driveshaft I got the brilliant idea, that I could pull the trailer forward thereby turning the rear wheels and turning the drive shaft to get the last 2 bolts in a position that was easier to undo them, well... instead it just dragged the rear wheels. I know pulling an AWD car is a no no, but I figured the center diff would slip a little bit and the short distance, 2 ft, wouldn't hurt anything.

So, my question is... would a non-welded diff do the same thing? Or is mine possible welded. Pulling the trans isn't going to happen until something breaks, I don't care either way, just wanting to know.

Also... The car came with an intake mani that says cyclone on it. It looks just like a 1g manifold. No dual runners, no bolt on plenum. Is that just a JDM equivilent to a 1g manifold? I can post a pic if needed. Thanks...

IncorpoRatedX

non welded, stock center diff would do the same thing, at least 1 of the front wheels needs to rotate as well... i fear for the safety and well being of the car you are working on.

AnotherNewb

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks for the info.
I'm not that big of a tool, why fear? I wasn't trying to tow it with the drive shaft still installed.

Hey man glad to see you got the car now.. I can tell you driving that car it acts just like a welded diff. When turning sharp the rear wheels churp at slow speeds. Also that intake manifold is gold. From what ive read its the AMG Intake mani, its the only one that looks like that. And i tried and tried to get that from Matt haha.

jepherz

Staff member
I'm not sure the scenario you described should result in dragging the rear wheels. The viscous center diff in our cars takes heat/friction to lock the plates. Without the plates locked, it should operate like an open diff as the two outputs from the center diff are not tied together at all. The scenario you describe is really no different that turning the car at full tilt in a parking lot; the result would be front and rear wheels turning at a different rate and shouldn't 'skid' or chirp any tires with a stock functioning differential.

I'd say your center diff is either welded on purpose or by accident (previous towing mishap). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Meeting the pervious ownes before my friend, most deff was towed wrong. im mean seriously anyone who puts a nascar sticker on the back of a 1g needs a good nut kicken haha.

AnotherNewb

That sucks about the Diff, I'll drive it till it breaks. If its welded that doesn't both me as much as a towing mishap. Here is a pic of the top of the motor:

My understanding is that the AMG intake was a 2 piece like the cyclone, minus the dual runners. This one is not. It looks just like a 1g intake, but with cyclone on it instead.

Mod number one: Remove NASCAR sticker from bumper

Last edited:

Most deff an AMG, the only other type it could be is the NT AMG

Click

Last edited by a moderator:

jepherz

Staff member
Just in case you're interested, I got one of my cars with a center diff that had frozen from bad towing. I think about $150 later, Jack at Jack's transmissions fixed it all, gave me a used viscous part, and even upgraded the center diff to use torrington bearings. It's not too terrible to take out either.

AnotherNewb

Quoting Jesse_W:
Most deff an AMG, the only other type it could be is the NT AMG

http://img.galantvr4.org/94000/94344-0-0-0.jpg[/img] -0.jpg]Click

I thought that the amg,s were all nonturbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

But anywhos... The intake in the link you posted doesn't have the "ribs" that a 1g manifold has, which mine does.

Some one show me a pic of a 1g intake labeled "Cyclone" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnotherNewb

As far as I have found, the intake is from a JDM NA Cyclone:

Someone correct me, this was the only picture of an intake like mine, and I doubt this guy would even know what an AMG intake is.

Dasith

those manifolds are not AMG's.... i've seen quite a few of those on NA 4G63 Galants here in australia, that mani came standard on one model year i think.... 89 model if i remember correctly....
we had 3 6th gen galants here... model run was from 89 - 92...

Galant SE - SOHC 4G63
Galant GSR - DOHC 4G63
Galant VR4

that mani with cyclone written came on 89 model GSR......

i stand corrected.

btw CG still eat ass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting AnotherNewb:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks for the info.
I'm not that big of a tool, why fear? I wasn't trying to tow it with the drive shaft still installed.

I understand that, I read your post, but what you were doing was stupid.

Quoting jepherz:
I'm not sure the scenario you described should result in dragging the rear wheels. The viscous center diff in our cars takes heat/friction to lock the plates. Without the plates locked, it should operate like an open diff as the two outputs from the center diff are not tied together at all. The scenario you describe is really no different that turning the car at full tilt in a parking lot; the result would be front and rear wheels turning at a different rate and shouldn't 'skid' or chirp any tires with a stock functioning differential.

I'd say your center diff is either welded on purpose or by accident (previous towing mishap). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Are you serious? One of the front wheels needs to rotate in order for any of the rear wheels to rotate.

the car sounds like it has a rear LSD as far as the parking lot turning and sh*t goes, a welded center diff is a little more than some tires chirping in a parking lot.

Anothernewb,
Doesn't matter about the cyclone. It's all mine remember /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

AnotherNewb

You can have it, when I upgrade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned