The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

water pump and alternator belt install

OMFGeofffff

Is there à way to do it without very many tools. I have no garage so I can only do it in my apt parking lot. I have a ratchet and wrench set. My belt literally broke so I have no worries of having to try to take it off.

You can do the belt with a simple wrench and ratchet set. I use a wrench on the alternator nut near the block and the ratchets on the alternator tensioner.

Because i cant sleep, here are some photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Step 1:
If you have Stuff in your way like I do. Remove it.

Step 2:
Loosen the alternator pivot bolt nut.

What it looks like when you can reach it without hurting your knuckles:

And this is how it looks right now. Just use a 12mm wrench and be patient. You can try to get away without loosening this but slipping the belt on will not be fun at all or near impossible, others may disagree.

Step 3:
Loosen the tensioner lock bolts.

Blue = loosen, red = adjuster.

Warning. you may have a support bar, thingy right here. Just remove it with you socket set.

Step 4: Slip on your new belt.

Step 5: Start tightening up your adjuster bolt and make sure it is in place as seen in this image.

Step 6: Once your bolt is, about, where it needs to be, finger tighten the adjuster locking bolts and start cranking down the adjuster bolt to put some tension on the new belt.

Step 7: Once the belt feels nice and taut, tighten down all your locking bolts and nuts and put your support thingy back on.

Step 8: Tell the woman how much you rock and how she should make you a sammich! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Edit: hmm, i think my adjuster block is upside down heh.

Last edited by a moderator:

OMFGeofffff

Thanks! Hopefully I can get this done after work. High of nine degrees today!

OMFGeofffff

Sweet only took me 20 minutes in the dark. Once my fingers got numb I really started to fly. Thanks for the write up.

Great to hear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Now don't forget that sammitch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

OMFGeofffff

I made her pick me up some buffalo wild wings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned