The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g thermostat housing and radiator swap

tayschells13

alright so i'm basially trying to do what the heading says. only problem is on the front of the 1g thermostat housing there is only 1 coolant outlet while there was two on the gvr4 housing which would lead to the turbo and oil filter housing. basically just looking for a guide as where to go from here or how to route the lines now, any pictures/help is greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Do you have a picture of the lower housing?

You might have a '90 model lower housing from a t/e/l, and they are short one nipple (that runs out to the oil/anti-freeze heat exchanger down on the oil filter housing) as the '90 models used a seperate oil cooler out in front of the radiator.

Also, the t/e/l models did not have the additional temp sender on the back of the lower housing that signaled the a/c controller unit to cut the a/c compressor off under high temps, so you'll have an additional black/blue wire that doesn;t go anywhere. Be sure to isolate the end of that wire or you'll have some jockularity with the a/c cutting out fans running for no appearant reason.

tayschells13

we'll from the looks of it the housing that i put in is very similar to the gvr4 housing, has all the same sensors and everything besides the lack of 1 coolant nipple on the lower housing. off my oil filter housing i have two coolant lines, one that originally runs to the beginning of my water pipe and the other which should run to the thermostat housing. off of my turbo i have 4 outlets/inlets. one feed off the head, one return to the oilpan and then two coolant lines that should run to the thermostat housing and the center of the coolant pipe. only problem is now i have a lack of a place to stick that one coolant line off my turbo that should run to the thermo housing. I've heard info about blocking off my FIAV and then running that line off the turbo into the throttle body but i still havent heard back as how to do that. thats basically my question here lol

524of1000

It fits EXACTLY the same way as a GVR4 radiator, only a little lower.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts