The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Projetor headlights?

Hondakiller

I was wondering if there is a company that make's projector headlights for the vr4? Or is there another car that will work with little mod.?

OMFGeofffff

Basically from what I know the only option you are looking at is retrofitting projectors into either stock or the highly recommended 93 clear headlights. A few people here on the board have actually done this I'm sure will chime in.

curtis

I've built 5 sets have one I need to do and ship that I've sat on forever, again sorry but will be doing them soon and have restored probably 10 sets of 93's. Got a few sets of those in the way in the shop i need to do as well. Its not hard but just hella time consuming. Takes about a week because of drying time, design time, focal points, mounting projectors etc. Its best to use 93 lens with 92 backplates because of the defraction gradients on the backplates of the 93's. As for projectors you can use factory stuff from junkyards, ebay or online suppliers that sell projectors for rally cars. That way there not really cheap. Junkyards are your best bet and get a bonus of Hid's if your lucky. As I've said not hard but just time consuming others have also did theres and a few others started and never finished.

Paul's lights

Hill's lights while white , they had to be redone because of the idiots at the Danville Post office. They ended up going black
img.php

Mine that I sold to Jason, regret selling them sometimes but have a mint set of 93's and also mint JDM's to build from for mine. Also something alot of people never notice is the sealed beam units in my signal light holes. I have the brackets i cut on the mill just need to get around to copying them and selling them.

Brunoboy

how much for a set of projector headlights? already made and shipped?

mitsuturbo

These look a lot like Diamante headlights. I like them a lot!

img.php

Are you doing this for profit, or would you share the procedure?

Last edited:

curtis

I've shared the procedure more than once but you have to be aware just black paint and some lens inside isn't all that's required you have to mount the pieces inside so the focal points are correct or there just for looks during the daytime. Symmetry, spacing in 3D have to be just right or it stands out like a sore thumb after there done and completed. Mine were diamante highs with projectors from VR4 fogs with carbon fiber pieces from a buell fairing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The diamante highs have glass lens and have to be cut and re polished to fit in the holes. If you want to do it yourself go for it but its just alot of time. don't expect this to be a saturday project. It usually takes me about a week to do it after I have all the parts in front of me and there clean ready to build. Part of this is cure time but still just alot of effort involved.

I'll also add the backplates are a thermoset resin and everything has to fit flush if you go mounting something on them and try to tighten it and it put any strain on the backplates they will fracture really easily, Then your inter fresh paint is cracked and water and moisture will get in.

I've sent a few emails already this week. So I'll just do it once here.

I charge 300 labor to include paint full restoration etc. Buyer pays shipping for everything to include getting parts to me and finished lights back to them. To build a set you need 93's for the glass, 92's for the backplates and whatever goes inside, could be cheap or high dependent on whats used inside. Then there's hid's but there getting cheap now at 75 or so a set on ebay. Sometimes you can find projectors there with hids included and or find audi, bimmer etc headlights with projectors you can rip out. But not all will fit due to lengths.

Gvr4-330

Only thing I found with trying to fit HID projectors into the Galant is there isn't a lot of room behind the headlight. The TSX projectors I was using just barely fit, but that meant I couldn't seal off the back end. I'll try working on it again, but for now, the project is on hold.

Rob

I already knew this had been done before. One of my customers is a car dealer that deals in alot of Audis, and he has a few perfectly good Audi HID projectors laying around, scratch and dent kinda stuff that I could get really cheap. I had been tossing the idea around in my head, Like Curtis says though, getting alignment perfect is going to be difficult. I had a set of the drop in HID bulbs in H4 housings in my zuk, and while they were great on the trail, on the road people were constantly flashing their high beams at me. Without the projector lens focusing the light downward the ebay HIDs just spread the light out too much.

dime2nr

I have been wondering about doing aluminum buckets with Plexiglas covers with projector hids inside. my car doesn't see street duty would this work or are the temps to high for Plexiglas.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quote:
I have been wondering about doing al. buckets with Plexiglas covers with projector hiss inside my car doesn't see street duty would this work or are the temps to high for Plexiglas

Translation anyone? This one has got me!

Whoodoo

Sorry, I can't follow it either. But it sure is a prime example of the caliber of people who do this kind of cheap ricey junk.

Quoting cheekychimp:
Quote:
I have been wondering about doing al. buckets with Plexiglas covers with projector hiss inside my car doesn't see street duty would this work or are the temps to high for Plexiglas

Translation anyone? This one has got me!

I was thinking about doing al.(maybe aluminium) buckets with plexiglass cover with projectors.....cnat unerdstnad tish prat... car doesnt see street duty aka track car only so would this work? also will the high temperatures affect the plexiglass?" end quote.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned