The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

legnum vr4 tuning

hello, new member on this site. Any idea what kind of boost level an original vr4 6a13tt is running on?
I'm going for more hp on my 6a13, changing all pipes, new iintercooler and putting in apexi boostcontroller,how high can i go with original pistons? 1bar maybe 1,2? And why has the vr4 boost cutoff already at 4-5000rpm? Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

okey, i thought somebody else would have a 8g galant vr4 but maybe not. But this club is for every galant vr4?

fuel

What the Americans probably didn't realise is that there was more than one generation of Galant VR-4 to be produced :p

Try www.clubvr4.com, they have both a British and an NZ sector, but there's plenty of other people from Germany, Denmark, probably even Finland with the 8G VR-4 too. Ironically, clubvr4 tends to cater specifically to the 8G and tends to ignore the previous two generations.

The only thing I don't like about clubvr4 is that you have to be a paid member in order to access most of the technical boards, and if you keep asking tech questions in the general areas they kind of pressure you to be a paid member - well that's what I've seen so far. I just don't think that's how a forum should be run. I understand, being a moderator of a large forum myself, that there are costs involved with running a large forum however our club gets by with donations and profits we get from running regular track days and other club activities.

SouthCaliVR4

We know about then just fine, it's that they never legally came here. only car similar in the states is the 3000gt vr4 & the stealth r/t. this forum is primarily dedicated to the 91-92 model that was distributed in the us market.

to answer your question I think around seven pounds was fact boost on the v6 here but overseas may have been different.

fuel

It should be around the 8-10psi mark with the early 96-98 pre-facelift tiptronics running slightly less boost.

Also the standard 6A13 rods are scarily thin, I wouldn't want to be pushing a standard engine above 350hp, that's when the rods tend to bend or break altogether. You could try running up to around 14psi but I wouldn't go any higher as the two small TD03 turbos will be out of their efficiency range and would just be blowing a whole lot of hot air.

The 8G VR-4 along with the 7G VR-4 was more designed to be a comfortable cruiser and they grew in size and weight over the 6G because they weren't intended to be used as rally cars like the Lancer Evolution which took over from the 6G VR-4. The two small twin parallel turbos are designed to give near instant power response with the trade off that it doesn't have much puff at higher revs. Larger hard pipe intercooler pipes and a larger better flowing intercooler would probably help this, but the turbos are still just a bit small for the job to sustain boost at high revs.

Last edited:

the 6a13tt vr4 was never legally imported to europe either. Only sold in asia, japan only i think. But there is a few here in finland and maybe quite a lot in europe. But it is sure a car i don't meet everyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm already a member on clubvr4. And many more vr4 sites.

G

Staff member

Scientist

there are people pushing these engines way past 350hp on standard internals. Tuning is very important on these cars.
The stock turbos are sh*t. stock intercooler is sh*t, Replace all the soft pipes on the hotside and cold side intercooler piping.
If you have a facelift model, invest in an Open port 2.0 cable to retune the car, these cars are overly conservative on tunes stock. The location for the boost cut on the ecu is posted on club VR4.

WRT those forums...very few people on there are actually trying to do anything with those cars, the rest are chicken n waiting for someone else to do all the work and beg them to create a kit for them.

There is one in the US running a single GT35R at about 430whp. there are quite a few running twin TD04-14Bs from the WRX.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask

thanks. I knew i had to change the pipes and intercooler. But i don't know about single turbo, bad throttle response on lower rpm? I might change the 2 td03 turbos to 2 td04 turbos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif heard something about needing to move the firewall if i want bigger twinturbos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif the original engine i think can handle 400-500hp, the original fuel injectors is capabel of 600hp, with a new pump.

fuel

sorry but there's no way the 6A13 will handle 400-500hp untouched. The rods are seriously small and the engine WILL suffer catastrophic failure if pushed too far. The 6A1x series V6 engines are just not robust and over-engineered like the 4G63 or the older 6G7x series engine, of which even so it too has its own flaws.

Put it this way, this carnage happened to an automatic non-turbo 6A12 2000cc MIVEC-MD engine barely pushing 200hp..

sump1.jpg

pistons.jpg

The rods are the same from the 1600cc 140hp 6A10 engine right through to the 2000cc twin turbo 240hp 6A12 engine, the only difference between the 6A12 and the 6A13 rods is the 6A13 has a larger diameter crank pin journal - otherwise the size and strength remains the same. To put this into perspective, here's a 6A12 twin turbo rod and piston next to a 6G72 twin turbo rod and piston - can you guess which is which?

DSCF2261.jpg

DSCF2262.jpg

Scientist

Quoting firelife:
thanks. I knew i had to change the pipes and intercooler. But i don't know about single turbo, bad throttle response on lower rpm? I might change the 2 td03 turbos to 2 td04 turbos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif heard something about needing to move the firewall if i want bigger twinturbos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif the original engine i think can handle 400-500hp, the original fuel injectors is capabel of 600hp, with a new pump.

Original Injectors aren't gonna handle nowhere near that power.

WRX TD04s won't require massaging the firewall

This is on Stock internals with a GT35R, there are a few other examples out there including guys in the FTO community
dsc0762n.jpg

Last edited:

fuel

that's a nice smooth power curve there! tell me though - for every success story how many failures have there been? surely some engines at that power level have let go in a catastrophic order?

i know that the injectors can handle 600hp, cause my friend has 612hp with original injectors, only changed to twin fuelrails instead of the originals. Maybe i buy a rpw factory engine that can handle over 600hp, then i get stronger internals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scientist

I'm working on getting Rods and pistons made right now.

Still working out costs.
CP would be manufacturing the pistons and Cunningham rods will be making the rods

okey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but u have a much older vr4? Not a 6a13tt engine?

The older Vr4's(4g63) have the best powerplant Mitsubishi ever manufactured. Way stronger and much more buildable than a 6a13.

there is so much different opinions about what the 6a13 can handle, i guess i just have to find out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned