The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator adjustment bolt direction

Does anyone have any pics of how the alternator adjusting bolts sit?

I forgot how it looked before I took it apart. It all sort of flew off and I just considered myself lucky to get apart.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks

No picture, but the set bolt should go through the alternator, then through the slot in the bracket, then into that "block".

The adjuster bolt should also screw into that "Block", and the head should face toward the front of the car. I believe the adjuster bolt will go on top of the set bolt, but i could be wrong.... just try it one way, and if its not working flip that little block over and put the adjuster bolt in from the other direction. The flange on the head of the adjuster bolt should push up against the end of that bracket as you tighten it.

Hope my ridiculous description is somewhat helpful

Thanks....I am going to put a pic up if I don't get it. I know it is hard to explain. I will read then re-read your post and try again. I have always been horrible at alternator tensioning.

Alright this is what doofy me is doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It seems that per your instructions I have the small block on the wrong side (I am famous for this on any vehicle).

The long bolt I just don't get how that works though.

Also, which is the set bolt and the adjust bolt? I am looking at the manual and it doesn't show which is which.

Is I am guessing that the adjuster bolt is the long one?

H05TYL

The un-threaded portion near the head of the long bolt sits in the notch in the end of the alternator bracket - you'll need to lift the alternator (pivot it about it's lower mount) to fit the belt, and get that bolt into it's notch.

The bolt that goes through the block into the alternator needs to be screwed in until it is juuuust loose, so it holds the block in the correct alignment, but doesn't stop the block moving along the bracket as you tighten the long bolt to tension the belt.

Hope that helps.

yes, you do. It is probably sitting weird because there is no belt on there. As soon as you get a belt on the alternator it will move up and that longer bolt will get pulled up against the alternator bracket, and then it will actually do some adjusting.

also, i was wrong about the set bolt going through the alternator first. It goes through the block first, then the bracket, then into the alternator. Sorry for the confusion I caused.

Wow I just got done..thanks for the help everyone! Swapping the alternator on this car is a bit much...mostly due to my setup!

BpuVR4

just using this thread to ask a quick q: how tight are you guys getting the adjustment bolt?

swapped belts cause i was getting a squeak- not when starting up, but just a short squeak when taking off from a dead stop...i can make it not happen if I really want to by babying the clutch engagement. had to redo it three times because the head of the adjustment bolt slipped off the bracket at the end everytime.

I feel like the belt is pretty tight, and i dont want to overdo it, but the squeak is still there, granted maybe less than before. any quick tips from the vets here? I gave up after the 3rd time tonight, was getting way too windy and was leery of the hood falling on my head.

BpuVR4

can the alternator pulley be tightened? any ideas on where else it could be? i tried to look at the harmonic balancer and it didn't look like it was splitting. also, there is no p/s or a/c

92_talon_awd

I've never heard of an alternator pulley coming off...Could be the bearings in the alternator if the belt is tight enough, I've also heard water pumps squeal or its belt. A tip for tightening the alternator bolt is to use a large flat head screwdriver or prybar and holding it on the shank of the bolt while tightening it. Keeps it down in the bracket

BpuVR4

i had a small crowbar that I was pushing down on it with, i think i just had a rough time as it was in the middle of a windy night and i had a flashlight hanging out of my mouth at the same time. i really hope it's not the waterpump...it literally is a short squeak right when I break the car loose from a stop.

89Mirageman

I would actually over tighten it just a little. Every new belt that I've ever put on stretched after a few weeks and needed to be readjusted later anyway. You don't want it like a guitar string but not sagging either. If you push down on the middle of the belt I'd say it should go in a 1/4" or so.

BpuVR4

still being a slight headache to me...gave it a try to tighten it up a bit more but still scared i might be overtightening it and putting stress elsewhere. I warmed up the motor first, before re-tightening the bolt. This is where it ended up:

MellowVR4

Yea these tensioners are tricky sometimes, if its not tight enough it squeals like a sombitch.

transparentdsm

i personally go to the store with my current belt and size it up. i use a dif belt on my alt. go to the store and have them look up the stock belt length, the take like 1/4" off the length and use what ever belt is there. if you still dont like it keep going back and returning the belt till you find the one you want. last time i did it i tried 3 or 4 dif belts, right there in the parking lot till i was happy.

edit: for checking tension find the longest section of belt, grab it in the middle with your thumb and index and try to flip the belt over. it should go anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn, if it turns more then that keep tightening.

after reading that i can imagine it might be a little hard to understand, if so let me know and i will go take a picture of my belt to show you.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

yea i do the flipping belt measurement too...and if there was no noise, i'd feel like it's tight enough for sure.

i just get a slight squeal if i take off from a dead stop a little aggressively...ease into it and no noise. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt the belt before i try to figure out if its something else making the noise.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts