The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock EVO III Injector Size?

Specter

I am a bit confused here. At some places i have read that evo III came with 510cc yellow top injectors, where as at other places people say at forums that they are running 450cc injectors. Could any one clarify the difference please?
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GIjoe

510cc

fuel

Quoting Dialcaliper:
Galant VR-4 RS to EVO IV are 510cc yellow-top

Evo V and onward are 560cc

Just a correction - only the VR-4 Evolution RS has 510cc injectors, all the pre-facelift '87 to october '89 RS and the non-Evolution facelift october '89 onwards RS models will still have the 450cc blue top injectors.

You lot are always confusing RS with Evolution, apart from the plate LSD and the lack of 4WS most the RS models are the same as the normal non RS and non Evolution VR-4 when it comes to engine components and exterior features.

Last edited:

fuel

Quoting Specter:
Weird, what about the 450cc and the evo III? Could it be possible that 450cc came in an A/T evo III (if there was one?)

There was no A/T Evo III, however there is the RVR which has the same 7 bolt motor with small port head as the Evo III, except it comes with 450cc injectors, smaller TD04 and top mount intercooler, and they also come in A/T as well as M/T.

Specter

^^ That would explain it, thanks. What hp where those RVR 4g63t rated at? Just Curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3rdstrikedsm

Evo 8-9 560's flow around 610 ish fyi so this is why people can make such good power on them and run in the 11's on stock fuel.

fuel

Quoting Specter:
^^ That would explain it, thanks. What hp where those RVR 4g63t rated at? Just Curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

For the early 94-96 Super Sports Gear and X3 models, the M/T is 230hp (TD04-15T) while the A/T is 220hp (TD04-13G).

For the late 97 Hyper Sports Gear R the M/T is 250hp (TD05-??) while the A/T is 230hp (unsure which turbo). The 97 Hyper Sports Gear also runs a front mount intercooler rather than a top mount intercooler.

The Hyper Sports Gear M/T is meant to have a TD05 which is kind of a hybrid between the outgoing TD05H-16G Evo III turbo and the TD05HRA-16G turbo of the Evo IV onwards in such that the Evo III single scroll exhaust housing is retained but it has a similar compressor wheel and cover to the Evo IV turbo, except obviously not reverse scroll. I have seen a few pictures of these turbos but have not seen one in person, supposedly these are better than the Evo III big 16G turbo.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

^That's interesting! I might look into that and see if I can find one over here. When you say 'better' though, what do you mean? More power? Better spool? Both?

Last edited:

fuel

I'm not entirely sure, just what I've been led to believe so far - but yeah I would like to verify it myself before I start using it for gospel. Google searching doesn't return much.

fuel

here's a pic of the RVR Hyper Sports Gear turbo, you can see it's not quite like the Evo III Big 16G

a6e51657.jpg

Specter

Quoting fuel:
Quoting Specter:

For the early 94-96 Super Sports Gear and X3 models, the M/T is 230hp (TD04-15T) while the A/T is 220hp (TD04-13G).

Is it possible to get more details/facts on the A/T? Some technical articles or a forum maybe? Tuning issues, Strengths/Weaknesses etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

fuel

It's the same W5A32 used in the A/T E39A JDM Galant VR-4, and it's also used on the A/T E84A 7G Galant VR-4 also. The same transmission was also used in a 1992 RVR X I had, which was just a non turbo 4G63 DOHC 4WD perhaps spitting out maybe 140hp, and it managed to kill the transmission at 126,000kms (less than 80,000 miles). The transmission I replaced it with had come from a car with 140,000kms and the transmission was painted grey meaning it had been rebuilt at some stage. The A/T is just not up to the task of handling the power really.

Specter

^^ Okay. What if we exclude the automatic transmission, put in a manual one. Then how would the performance be. Rest of it is the same, its running on the same A/T ecu. Not doing a cost benefit analysis here or trying to make it better, my friend is running the same exact setup as a turbo rvr (swapped in a 1992 lancer) just a manual transmission(fwd) on an A/t ecu with TCU plugged in the wiring. Do see any problems in it? Also would it matter if we unplug the tcu?
Thanks!

fuel

unplugging the TCU will be fine but you need to fool the ECU into thinking that the transmission is in park or neutral before it will start.

I am unsure where the power loss is for the A/T versions, perhaps it is from the different wheel turbo and perhaps less boost. I am sure the core parts of the engine along with the injectors/MAF/manifold etc are the same.

Specter

Yeah the main parts are the same, i was just wondering if there was any major difference in the ecu itself, guess not. Do you know what is the base fuel pressure for the rvr? Is it the same for auto and manual? This is the most important information i need, for now, to start tuning my friends car.

fuel

I would say it's the same for Galant VR-4 and Evo - somewhere in the 40psi region isn't it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned