The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery Relocate Clarification

mooserage

Staff member
So I am trying to understand how to wire up my battery relocation so that the engine will cut properly when the killswitch is thrown. I have been reading, but I am confused on how to wire the alternator so that it won't allow the engine to keep running. I drew up an illustration to show what I am confused about. Basically if I connect the alternator output (or what I think is the output I guess) (blue wire) Won't this allow the engine to continue running off of the alternator? If I run a seperate alternator wire to the battery, won't this cut all power to the engine when the switch is thrown? Maybe I am completely going the wrong direction, but that is why I am asking this question. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Why is it that you NEED an electrical shutdown on your ride?
to answer some of your question...yes you would need to cut power coming from both the battery AND from the Alternator to fully/electrically shutdown your engine
are you not worried about headlights or anything else loosing power? or is this a drag vehicle?

turbowop

Disconnect that blue line from the alternator output and loop it over to the positive starter wire in the fuse block to complete the circuit. Problem solved. That's how mine has been since '03.

Like so:

944bb2777dcc436.jpg

Without looking at my setup, I'm about 99% sure this is how mine is.

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

I wouldn't advise you or anyone to do this but I've seen people run the cut-off switch to the + on the battery and fuel pump power wire instead of the alternator. It might not be the most legit way and depends how official your track is but its a way to avoid running double the wire throughout the car. Like I said it's just another option to think about.

mooserage

Staff member
Yeah, I am just trying to satisfy any track regulations I may run into, and I want to do this once hence the clarification.

Okay, so I need to cut the 2 white alternator wires from this connection and connect it to a new line and run it back to the killswitch?

2010-03-31154818.jpg

And is that connection on top of the fuse block connection (stamped 2827 w/ black wire loom)the starter connection?
2010-03-31154524.jpg

Thanks for the help guys! i know this is noob, but pictures really help me to visualize it.
-shamus

turbowop

Yes. But you can actually open that fuse dealie up and unbolt them instead of just cutting them. Then just run a jumper wire from where you unbolted them to the terminal that the main new feed wire from the battery connects to. I disconnected the large battery terminal but still use the ring terminal that attached to it. You can just install a new ring terminal to the jumper wire and bolt it all together.

EDIT

Here is a pic. Just run a jumper from where the two white alt wires you removed were, and attach the other end to this, which is also where your new battery feed wire will terminate.

944bb3ee4f74698.jpg

EDIT AGAIN

Here is a great pic of my setup. I still need to clean up this wiring as I can't stand it, but it shows what's going on pretty well.

You can see that I ran the alt output wires into a fuse holder which then attaches to a 4awg wire that runs back to the kill switch. If you look closely you can also see the 8awg wire that ties in the old alt output termination point with the main battery terminal. Also, I used 2awg for the main battery relocation feed, for what it's worth.

944a62845c7f18a.jpg

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
Raising this gem from the dead, because in my searching I found it and used it now that I was finally getting around to this.

Just wanted to get a sanity check:

Below I have my + Battery Feed (large gauge wire), Starter Wire (Black), a yellow accessory wire, and the single white/black alternator wire (removed from the old alternator fuse holder) connected. Below this, you can just make out the 2 alternator output wires that go to a fuse and then back to the + battery terminal. For those with this setup, does this seem correct?

Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts