The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Driveshaft length?

Kenny_Kline

Does anyone know the exact length of a 1G T/E/L driveshaft? I am thinking my driveshaft for my 1G is to long and somehow, I got stuck with a gvr4 driveshaft (possibly longer?) I tried to install it the way I always install driveshafts and thats insert into tcase first, instal carrier bearings, bolt to rear diff but there wasnt enough room on the angle but yet all carrier bearings lined up perfect. I tried all different possible combinations like leave 1 carrier bearing un-installed , bolt up shaft to rear diff, then try to push the carrier bearing up but it seems the driveshaft is to long and wont allow it to straighten out. I then decided to take tcase out and then bolt rear shaft to the rear dif. This worked but I really had to push on the driveshaft towards the front of the motor to clear. Then I tried to put the tcase on and the tcase wouldnt straighten or get even enough with the transmission to slide onto the splines. Either something is way off or my driveshaft is to long.

I bought this car with no engine/transmission so I am not even sure if its the right driveshaft. I have taken some measurements and will post pics tommorow of what I exactly measured to help. This car has been a nightmare the past month and I would just like to finish it up. Here are a couple pics for now and will put up the ones after I edit them to show you my measurements and where I measured from.

DSC06852.jpg

DSC06854.jpg

DSC06856.jpg

DSC06872.jpg

DSC06873.jpg

DSC06861.jpg

DSC06867.jpg

Kenny_Kline

Have any exact measurements or a way to tell what kind of driveshaft I have?

My numbers are front shaft (tcase to carrier bearing) is 33 3/4" measuring from end of yoke to end of yoke. Mid shaft was 16 5/8" and that was from wled to weld on each yoke. Rear shaft was 15 7/8 and that was from end of yoke at the rear diff to the weld on the yoke at the carrier bearing. I will post up pics and draw lines on pics to show you exactly where I measured from if there is any confusion on my description.

raptorWagon

I have a 1g dsm driveshaft laying around and my measurements from your same spots are
Front section - U-Joint to U-Joint - ~28"
Mid Section - Weld to Weld - 17" However your measurement is wrong, because you should be measuring from the nut on the forward end (holding the end piece attach to the U Joint) to the about the middle of the Lobro Joint. ~25.5"
Rear Section - From middle of Lobro Joint to rear U Joint - ~21"
The total measurement from end to end of the entire dsm driveshaft I have is, 74.5".
the Galant FSM says this

Add those three together and you get 79.5 .

Also you should NOT be letting your driveshaft hang to that extreme of a angle, even the FSM tells you as a caution to suspend the shaft supporting it to not allow it to bend sharply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny_Kline

I will check today.

To save me time, is it save to say the difference between a gvr4 driveshaft and a dsm driveshaft is the middle section of the shaft with the gvr4 middlie shaft being longer?

raptorWagon

Yes, that is the difference. The GVR4 Mid section is longer than the DSM. Our cars are bigger than a dsm.

Kenny_Kline

So I have decided to bring the entire driveshaft down to my local driveshaft guy and I am going to have him cut the shaft to proper spec. Does anyone have the exact specs I need to have this thing cut and welded at for a 94 Eagle Talon?

Hertz

Staff member
Those measurements should be in the FSM for a DSM.

The amount of wrenching you're doing, you really should have one.

Kenny_Kline

Yeah I used to have an original service manual but SOMEHOW it went missing when I let someone borrow it. I downloaded one last night online and find out everything. Sorry to waste everyones time on stupid questions. I just was at a loss last night and it was really driving me nuts.

But here is an update... I took out the driveshaft today and measured it. 74.5" roughly. Its the correct driveshaft for this car. So I go home and grab my other tcase. It bolts right up no problems. So I stand there scratching my head, how this tcase is different. Its impossible. Then I noticed the driveshaft slides into the new tcase further than the other. Then it hit me... something must be inside the tcase groove where the collar slides into. Sure enough, something was in there. I picked it out with a long awl with a hook at the end and slid the shaft in there and it went in all the way this time.

So its all fixed... for now. The carrier bearings dont look like they are in the best shape so I will probably be converting to a 2 piece shaft soon.

Thanks for the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned