The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2G 3000GT steering wheel in a galant vr-4?

blackvr4

Hey guys I searched but really couldn't find if anyone has done this. My galant wheel is really torn up, So I was thinking about switching the wheel with something else, First I thought about going with the Talon/Eclipse wheel, But I think the shape of it will look strange in the Galant, Then I thought about the evo wheel, but I just can't justify spending 100-300 for a wheel. Not to mention I think that the Evo wheel looks strange in the galant. Then I thought about a 3000GT wheel, I know the one in my 1994 3000GT VR-4 feels awsome, its pretty thick and it looks like it would match the interior styling of the Galant.

I couldn't find any information about it on here so I ventured onto the 3000GT forum and looked there, I couldn't find anything except this.

click

I know its the Evo wheel but, I was hoping I could find someone who used the same GRANT adapter plate for the steering wheel that people with Galants use to bolt on the EVO wheel. From this thread I came to the conclusion that the steering wheel on a 3000GT definitely mounts in a similar fashion as the Galant Steering wheel. But are the splines on the steering wheel/steering shaft the same in all the Mitsubishi's or not? Let me know what you guys know!
Thanks for any help!

blackvr4

Another thing that I just checked in CAPS is the part number for the mounting nut for the steering wheel. the 3000GT mounting nut part number is: MF430007 and the Galant VR-4 steering wheel mounting nut part number is: MF430007. Which is a 17mm nut, from this I can definitely come to the conclusion that at least the diameter of the steering shaft between the 2 cars is the same. This might be promising if the spline count is the same!

Last edited:

curtis

It looks to be the same as in the picture but it is a tapered shaft and the spline could be a little different but I really doubt it. Industrial revolution and interchangeable parts usually holds true. I built a weld jig to adapt the evo wheel to these and the 1st gen cars and the piece the 3K guy welded on looks to be the same as ours.

Muskrat

I'd suggest you reconsider the 1G steering wheel. It's a direct swap. I have it in my car and it doesn't look out of place at all. Granted I never saw it with the stock wheel. Bonus if you can find a leather one.

I can get a picture if you want.

jepherz

Staff member
If you own both a 3000gt and a gvr4, why don't you pull the horns off and take a look? Would take 10 minutes to attempt to swap them, and then you could take pictures for reference if there WAS a difference.

blackvr4

I've never removed a steering wheel with an air bags, and I guess you could say I'm a little scared to take off the steering wheel due to that. It seems that nobody has done this yet. So I'm looking for a steering wheel of a 3000GT right now, If I can get it cheap (around 50 dollars) I will post up how it went. The 2G 3000GT steering I personally feel flows much better with a stock GVR-4 interior.

95_3000GT_VR4%20(21).jpg

I'm not too thrilled about it having the radio controls on the wheel, but I believe the base 94-96 3000GTs have the same steering wheel with no radio controls on the wheel. I'll also have to measure the diameter of the wheel on my 3000GT to see if its bigger or smaller than the Galant wheel.

Last edited:

I saw this steering wheel online the other day which would look great but would cost a little more once you source the matching airbag.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think most of the different wheels will fit (splines same), as I have 3g Eclipse steering wheels on both of my GVR4s.

blackvr4

Hey guys I just ordered the 3000GT steering wheel, I will post up here with an update/hopefully some pictures of the steering wheel installed in the car if everything fits in a few days! wish me luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and thanks for all the input!

blackvr4

Hey guys as promised I was going to post pictures as soon as I got the steering wheel installed. It was actually a piece of cake everything slid right on. Although there is a little bit of a gap between the steering column and the actually steering wheel (~1/2 inch) but it's really pretty hard to notice I am pretty sure that if you grinded down the hub and then drilled it out so the part for the blinkers would work the steering wheel would have no gap at all, the gap to me wasn't too bad to worry about it. Also the way the 3000GT steering wheel is set up I don't think you can make the horn buttons work.

0205101544.jpg

0205101545.jpg

0205101546.jpg

To me this steering wheel matches the styling and color scheme of the Galant interior much better than that the EVO wheel. But I know with cars everyone has a different POV.

Oh I also want to fill in that hole for the cruise control with something so it doesn't look too ghetto.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned