The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

anyone try using the EVO Ecu?

Brunoboy

I read on tuners that some 2g users are using it, and some 1g users are using this. anyone try it in the galant yet?
-shane

Barnes

I've never heard of it being done. What would be the point?

Lots of stock tuning capabilities with simply reflashing the evo ecu. Lots of guys are doing this with their 2nd gen dsms now.... Id love to give it a go on a 1st gen/galant.

I don't think anyone has done it in a 1g but there are 2g guys doing it. As mentioned, the tuning capabilities are more than worth it with the re-flashes available vs. the cost of a standalone.

jepherz

Staff member
That's awesome. I wonder what they do about the knock sensor? Just use an evo one?

atc250r

Staff member
I came in here thinking that bruno was smoking too much of the good stuff but it sounds like a viable set up for a 2g. IMHO its easier to just get a DSMap set up and do basically the same thing with your stock GVR4 ECU though.

John

raptorWagon

^+1 That is pretty much what happens when I hit the upload button every time on Jackal/DS-Map.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Is there something special about the evo ECU? All 2g ecus after '98 should be reflashable.

jepherz

Staff member
I wonder if it is a 16 bit ecu? In any case, the hardware and software are much newer, that may make a difference. That, and can you just use the Evo re-flashing software on a 2g ecu? That would make a big difference.

Brunoboy

anyone who wants to try and make a harness that works, im willing to buy one ahaha. im looking for a whole new set up since my last ecu just took a sh*t.
-shane

004tsi

i have read that the evo knock sensor and ecu are better at seeing real knock and drivabilty is improved. Yhis is something I'd like to do at some point
Another source

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting jepherz:
I wonder if it is a 16 bit ecu? In any case, the hardware and software are much newer, that may make a difference. That, and can you just use the Evo re-flashing software on a 2g ecu? That would make a big difference.

I don't know what difference the 16 bit would make, as I am not up to speed on that very much. I am just saying why can't programs be flashed onto the stock ECU?

I think the 2G-to-1G ECU swap may be even easier. Its already been done, years ago. The 98/99 Flash 2G ECU's should be pretty much plug-n-play, I just need to build a cable/adapter for it. You just need to swap to a 2G knock sensor, and possibly the coolant sensor.
Anyone want to be a guinea pig once I get it sorted out?

Brunoboy

Quoting keydiver:
I think the 2G-to-1G ECU swap may be even easier. Its already been done, years ago. The 98/99 Flash 2G ECU's should be pretty much plug-n-play, I just need to build a cable/adapter for it. You just need to swap to a 2G knock sensor, and possibly the coolant sensor.
Anyone want to be a guinea pig once I get it sorted out?

so 98-99 ecu is reflashable too? If you make cables for it and are able to sell them, let me know, and if you decide to do the Evo ecu I'm down aswell.
-Shane

jepherz

Staff member
I believe 95 (2g) ecus were possible to get in eprom. After that, for OBDII they went flashable so probably any eclipse ecu from 96+ is flashable. Probably cheap too.

Uh, no. 1996 thru 1997 (and most 1995 FWD) were Non-EPROM ECU's with the ROM inside the CPU, where it is inaccessible. In 1998 they switched to a new CPU with internal flash memory. So, this only works for a 1998 or 1999 2G DSM ECU in a 1G/GVR-4.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts