The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fluidampr Pulley: Timing Marks?

BluFalcon

I've got a Fluidampr 630702 pulley and went to install it on the car and noticed it didn't come with a timing mark on the pulley. I've had it for the last 2 years or so, sitting in a box, waiting for me to install it. The 630702 is an aluminum bodied pulley that has since been discontinued in favor of a steel bodied model, the 630701. My question is, does anyone have the new 630701 pulley and does it have the timing mark engraved on it? I tried to mark the pulley I have right now, and well let's just say that parallax got the best of me as it's slightly off. If the newer pulley has the mark engraved on it, I'll go ahead and pick up a new one, otherwise I'll try and "repair" the mark I made on this one and press on. Thanks guys.

jb4

I also had an older one . I sent them an email about the timing marks and they let me send in my old one for the newer version. The only cost for me was shipping it to them. This was about 2 years ago.

Brianawd

I have a new one and the timing mark was in the wrong spot. So I made a new mark in the right spot. You can take your old one and use it to make a mark on the new one

cheekychimp

Now THAT is interesting. Bearing in mind my idle issues and Jeff's suggestion that they could be timing related, I wonder if my Fluidampr Pulley was similarly flawed?

Brian did you just notice the timing mark was off when you exchanged pulleys or did you get idle issues after installing it?

TRBODSM

I've heard that lining up the timing marks on the cam gears would be the same as lining up TDC on the HB. I can be wrong so if anybody knows please correct me.

Brianawd

Quote:
Brian did you just notice the timing mark was off when you exchanged pulleys or did you get idle issues after installing it?

I noticed it when, I was putting the motor back together last winter. I had every thing in time, so I put the front cover on and then the pulley. The pulley's timing mark was sitting at around 5degs ATDC. I was like WTF. So I pulled the pulley and cover back off to make sure every thing was in time. It was still perfect. Cams,crank and oil pump all lined up perfect, so that is when I new for sure that the timing mark on the pulley was off.
So I filled in the timing mark with JB weld and sanded it down. I then put every thing back together and put a mark where it should have been. I then pulled it back off and used a die grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the new mark. To make sure the mark was right I got a old stock pulley I have laying around, and used 4 long bolts and bolted them together to make sure my new mark was right. They both had the mark in the same spot, so I was good to go. Then I pained it all black. After it dried, I put white paint in the timing mark so it would show up good with a timing light.

You may want to check yours. If mine was off I'm willing to bet other peoples are to.

Last edited:

chucklesas

Maybe this is why I've been having trouble getting my car to run properly without grounding out the timing plug. Hmmm, I'll have to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

grocery_getter

I can hear Paul screaming "OOOHHH DAAAAMN! That is it!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

BluFalcon

E-mailed them on the 6th and I still haven't heard back from them. I'll get it pulled off the car and try to re mark it. Any idea why the aluminum version was superseded by the steel one?

Brianawd

Quote:
Any idea why the aluminum version was superseded by the steel one?

Because the aluminum ones were cracking at the welds leaking viscous fluid all over the place.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting grocery_getter:
I can hear Paul screaming "OOOHHH DAAAAMN! That is it!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I was thinking the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting Brianawd:
I have a new one and the timing mark was in the wrong spot. So I made a new mark in the right spot. You can take your old one and use it to make a mark on the new one

Good post, Brian!

Quoting Brianawd:
Quote:

I noticed it when, I was putting the motor back together last winter. I had every thing in time, so I put the front cover on and then the pulley. The pulley's timing mark was sitting at around 5degs ATDC. I was like WTF. So I pulled the pulley and cover back off to make sure every thing was in time. It was still perfect. Cams,crank and oil pump all lined up perfect, so that is when I new for sure that the timing mark on the pulley was off.
So I filled in the timing mark with JB weld and sanded it down. I then put every thing back together and put a mark where it should have been. I then pulled it back off and used a die grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the new mark. To make sure the mark was right I got a old stock pulley I have laying around, and used 4 long bolts and bolted them together to make sure my new mark was right. They both had the mark in the same spot, so I was good to go. Then I pained it all black. After it dried, I put white paint in the timing mark so it would show up good with a timing light.

You may want to check yours. If mine was off I'm willing to bet other peoples are to.

Excellent post, Brian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good catch, shows you pay attention when you're assembling things!

We did the machine work for a local shop on a build that just never ran well. He was down on power for his set-up, and the damn thing just didn't run "right".

The compression and leakdown were spot on, so I thought it might have been a funky grind on the cams. (e-bay weirdness that was supposed to be copies of the hks 264/272), so that's why I had the mechanical timing tools out.

I was using a dial indicator on the piston top to set up the degree wheel on the crank, and the little lite bulb in the back of mind illuminated (albiet dimly, and only for a sec before it fizzled out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif) when I saw the dampner timing mark off by a sizable chunk. I had to check another cylinder to be sure I wasn't working with a bent rod or something equally off the wall, and then it all made sense.

Put a stock balancer on, set the timing, and abbra~ca~hocus picked up a bunch of power and the damn thing actually idled!

Definately something our overseas friend should investigate further!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned