The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Would you like some fried ECU with your order, Sir?

fuel

DSCF1780.jpg

DSCF1781.jpg

This ECU (MD166267) came out of a '91 E35A Eterna Sava I just picked up. Luckily I had an ECU spare I was able to fit and get it running. My question is does anyone know what specific bit(s) burnt out? I know of an issue where if the ISC shorts it can lead to the ISC driver on the ECU burning out. The ISC on this car appears to be working just fine but I thought I would ask anyhow as I don't want a repeat of this happening to the ECU I've just put in.

Thanks,
Phil

1990ggsxnj

Contact Jeff (Keydiver), he needs dead ECU's. Otherwise either he or TerryPosten can chime in. Havn't a clue here what that is.

That certainly appears to be one of the ISC driver chips, so there is no way your ISC is working properly. The 2 things that can generally cause that are either:
1) the 47uF cap is leaking, and has shorted the ISC trace underneath it, or
2) a shorted ISC, usually from a coolant leak inside the FAIV.

belize1334

I'd unplug your ISC and test it immediately so that you don't fry the next ecu too.

fuel

yep will do.

I wish I could send the dud to keydriver but I'm over in little New Zealand and I think the postage to the states would be quite expensive :p

fuel

Ok I pulled the ISC out and there's no sign of coolant leakage, and the coils all measured between 36 and 39 ohms so no problems there too. I've been driving the car around lots and no sign of the new ECU going up in smoke either. The caps in the original ECU don't appear to have leaked, so I wonder what caused it to burn up to begin with.

stevep

Quoting fuel:
The caps in the original ECU don't appear to have leaked, so I wonder what caused it to burn up to begin with.

It sure looks to me like not only have the caps leaked on that ECU but that the 47uf cap has shorted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts