The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Check out the AMG intake manifold. (PICS!)

bazeng

Hey guys,

I'm building the AMG at the moment and have something cool to show you guys.

It'll be bolted onto a VR4 motor with a GT3082 (2.3L stroker)

No wonder my strut brace didn't fit on the AMG but cleared the VR4.

324vr4

WHOA!!! I never realized they had such large IM's! And now I'm jealous again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

Thats one sweet IM but I need another picture to solve a myth.

Please post up pictures of rocker arms from the amg there suppose to be different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bazeng

Will do. I'll do it when I can.

Also had it on the dyno before pulling it apart.
It made 87 kw's at the front wheels.
180,000km's on the clock.

Everything stock.

curtis

I'll add something as well for the ones that didn't notice. The turbo cyclone manifold has the runners staggered where these are inline top to bottom with each other as well as much larger runners and plenum to help support HP in an NA car. Hard to believe that they cast an intake for such a small run but you have proof they did.

I found the same situation on another NA manifold out of the junkyard. Want work on ours but will on the EVO's with the TB facing the center of the car. The evo manifolds have runners that come off the head curve down and then radius back up and around to a plenum the size of a 16oz bottle this one has the runners coming straight out then 90 degrees up with larger runners and a plenum about 3 times larger.....this probably has the evo guys wondering which car....99-01 hyundai sonata. I just looked on ebay and no one has a picture but there are some on there as cheap as 100 shipped. This maybe on the newer ones as well. Super easy to remove I only had a pair of wire cutters and a few wrenches and had it off in less than 20 minutes.

You can look at the link below and read about the power increases in the different 2.4 liters in the cars this is probably part of the reason if not the only reason.

hyundai wiki

bazeng

Spot on Curtis,

I noticed that today and was wondering if it would make a difference.

The merge point in the AMG manifold is about 3/4 down the runner. Whereas the cyclone merges at the port of the head..

That's crazy that they would make a whole new design just for a few cars. I would imagine on a turbo car that would be a nice upgrade.

G

Staff member
Looks sweet, someone give me the part # !

kama1

i have this im on my galant now.havent felt anything yet coz of boost leaks.
6g amg is e33a

AWDnoobie

Cool looking amg intake mani. Another thing about the hyundai 2.4 dohc engine. The head has runners like a 2g head, but intake port of a 1g and the CC of the head is a bit smaller also(not sure how much over all) I cant remember if I saw the info here or on a dsm forum though. Sorry about the thread jack, back onto the topic of AMG intakes

Muskrat

Quoting turboaddict:
if anyone comes across one of these amg intake manifolds or has one and wants to see it pm me please. thanks

Revived after a year for what I think is a WTB ad.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

fuel

haha and it's not like he is a newbie also!

cheekychimp

I just found one with a complete AMG head. Waiting to hear on shipping. Talked about it with Barry already actually. I'll check everything is okay with the head but if it checks out okay, I'm seriously thinking of throwing it straight on the stock car as is and just seeing how it works out. Barry said a number of guys throw NA cams in turbo heads because the profiles are a little more aggressive. I'm not sure if they will be as aggressive as say 264s but I'm hopeful they will give a little bit more power with no loss of low end and the AMG head is good for another 500 rpms stock. There is some argument as to where both engines/heads make peak power but I'm actually not convinced this is a huge issue (except possibly on hill climbs).

I've read a lot of stuff on heads and rpm threshholds and how after about 9500 rpms you run into all sorts of issues that make another 1500-2500 rpms pointless or useless. The way I look at it, you need power to overcome inertia but once you have momentum it requires far less power to maintain speed or even accelerate. Our limiting factor invariably is gearing. As long as you are making 'sufficient' power that you are able to overcome whatever resistance the forces of nature (and physics) throws at you and increase rpms, you will go faster! The only way that cannot be the case is if you have slippage somewhere (clutch, wheelspin etc).

Obviously the advantage of a 7000 rpm deadline over a 6500 rpm one is going to be minimal. Nonetheless, if the results of doing this are favourable, then I am leaning towards a long rod 2.0 litre build with this intake and a carefully thought out head and turbo combination for my next project.

GVR4_1057

I have one at the house that I am trying to find time to put on.

GVR4_1057

The AMG has bigger primary runners (43.5MM) than the Cyclone ,the secondary runners are the same size as all 8 of the Cyclone runners, 38MM if I remember correctly. Here it is beside of a Cyclone. The AMG is the 2 piece one.

After Rick and I Powder coated it.

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

Holy crap I want one of those!!! If someone can get their hands one one for me let me know!

AWDnoobie

I have a Cyclone on a talon that came with a jdm motor. Im debating to use it or not. And damn the AMG intake looks nice once its cleaned up.

nickbuilt

That's a sick ride nice Volk wheels good luck with your build!

-Nick

p.s. Where is the oem 3 peice amg wing u didn't like it?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts